Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cancelling on cleaning lady

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:05 pm
Is it fair to cancel on the cleaning lady last minute? My DD is sick and I just don't feel like having the cleaning lady over today. She has canceled on me last minute. Does it work both ways?

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:14 pm
wow that's really rude of them to cancel on you---- did they reschedule for within the same couple of days? I've used Merry Maids and they've never done that to me.

I'd say go for it and maybe there is someone on the waiting list for that day that they can be sent out on to do a diff job or a diff crew member will call in sick so they'll be needed anyway.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:41 pm
It's a woman who works independently not part of a company.

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:48 pm
that's risky. I mean, you could do it. But you don't know if she will cancel on you one day for canceling on her. Did I just make any sense? Scratching Head

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 8:53 pm
octopus wrote:
that's risky. I mean, you could do it. But you don't know if she will cancel on you one day for canceling on her. Did I just make any sense? Scratching Head

Basically I feel like I can cancel on her because she has canceled on me! So she already feels like she can cancel on me. I guess what I'm asking is whether it is OK ethically.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:07 pm
If you don't feel up to it and she has canceled before, I think it's OK. You're not doing it for revenge.

My cleaning lady is great- hard working, honest, works fast and well. But she canceled a couple of times... Once on Erev Yom Tov when I was 9 months pregnant and was seriously counting on her. And she didn't call.

I don't bear a grudge- she probably forgot or something, but I wouldn't hesitate to cancel if something came up on my end.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 9:08 pm
Cleaning ladys just cancel when ever they want

I dont think they realize its a job!

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 10:13 pm
I would call her and explain. Ask if she'd rather come another day instead, if it's a parnassa issue for her, or work a few extra hours (if you need her to) next time.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 7:22 am
With a jew if you cancel scheduled work and don't give them enough time to find another job then you have to pay them for the job. I was told that it may be a chillul Hashem not to do the same for my cleaning lady. If I ever do this I give 1/2 the amount the next time they come.

Can you find her work at someone else's house?

Dalia Nechama

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 11:30 am
Here is my reaction

I agree with Sky. It may be a chillul Hashem to cancel on her last minute if you don't pay her. The fact that she may have acted unethically towards you doesn't mean that you are free to do the same with her. You have to make sure you are yashar in all of your actions. I don't know her situation, but many of these women are counting on certain hours to pay their rent and feed their kids. Yes, she should NOT have canceled on you last minute. You could choose to fire her for this if you want. There are halakhic guidelines. I try very hard to be lifnei mishuras ha-din when dealing with issues of money. These matters are judged seriously in our din ve-cheshbon. I think you should ask your Rav -- what are you halakhically required to do and what is the most ethical thing to do? I had a steady cleaning lady for a number of years. I always paid her if I was the one that canceled, even if I gave her advanced notice. I go away for a month or so in the summer, and I always paid her for that time. I did give her a list of some more extensive tasks to cover. I always looked at it as I would resent it if my employer suddenly called and said, "Hey, we don't need you for a couple of weeks / months, and, by the way, we aren't paying you."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics