Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Deleted
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Would you buy a $180 raffle ticket (maaser money) for a luxury apartment in Ramat Eshkol?
Yes, sounds exciting!  
 48%  [ 25 ]
No, too rich for my blood  
 40%  [ 21 ]
Yes, if I can make payments  
 11%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 52

wif

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 1:44 pm
deleted

Last edited by wif on Wed, Jan 28 2009, 2:52 pm; edited 8 times in total

babygirl

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:44 pm
Thats a great idea!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:46 pm
No.

My husband is all for Tzedakah but he is so not interested in Chinese auctions and raffles. He says that if you want to give tzedakah - give tzedakah. Don't put down the money in order to win a prize. (He is quite a 'different' kind of guy).

babygirl

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:50 pm
My husband also does not hold of using maaser for chines auctions but plenty of ppl do and many ppl would put in just like they put in the lotto....

daamom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:53 pm
We don't use maaser money for things like chinese auctions, shows, fancy dinners, etc. Chossidmom, I don't think your husband is "different" because of this. My husband feels the same way - tzedakah is about giving, not receiving...

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:57 pm
Guess we should make a dhs meet - they'll all get along fine. My dh says you give to who you should give, not to get prizes.

I think that we learned that if you buy a raffle ticket with maaser money and win a prize, you have to "buy" back the prize from maaser and give its value to tzedaka. But I don't know if everyone paskens like this.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:59 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
No.

My husband is all for Tzedakah but he is so not interested in Chinese auctions and raffles. He says that if you want to give tzedakah - give tzedakah. Don't put down the money in order to win a prize. (He is quite a 'different' kind of guy).

Your husband is my kind of guy. My DH will always donate $5 to the kids coming around selling overpriced stuff instead of buying anything so that the school gets all the money, instead of a tiny fraction.

mali

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 3:59 pm
that's interesting shalhevet. I never learnt it, but that's what I do when I win a prize that I bought with maaser money.

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 4:02 pm
they have something like that in the tenyad raffle, it sounds like a good idea, I like auctions. I never win anything though, its easier to donate through an auction website or through raffle tickets, I also donate to places that don't have any prizes.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 4:42 pm
I love those prize thingies.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 11:33 pm
A real apartment? That's crazy!

queen

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 11:38 pm
Please send me a PM if this auction actually gets off the ground as I'd probably be interested in buying a ticket for $180. GREAT ORIGINAL IDEA!!!!! Thumbs Up

just for your info... although vast majority THINKS they are, auction donations are NOT tax deductible. (this is coming from a CPA's wife)

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 1:34 am
We never buy raffle tickets either. But if it's an organization we support, we do send in a donation, our own shul included. At least an apt in Ramat Eshkol has a Jewish connection. I like it even less when it's just jewelry or things like that. To each his own. Smile Hatzlacha!

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 2:13 am
Even if you do not use Maaser money for things like Chinese Auctions and stuff, there are still many people who would use regular money to purchase the ticket. $180 for an apartment in Ramat Eshkol is quite nice.

Wif, they've done these sort of raffles many times before with apartments as prizes and even Ramat Eshkol apartments as prizes, so apparently it's been successful. Good luck!

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 3:01 am
ChossidMom wrote:
No.

But the mitzva of tzedaka is the actual giving, doesnt matter what the intentions are.
A guy who donates a million to a yeshiva building even if hes doing just for the kavod, and to have his name on the outside of the building still gets a big mitzva.

In recent years these major chinese auctions became so popular in NY. And though maybe ppl. would have given tzedaka anyway, l'maaseh the fact is that ppl. give much much more when they have a chance of winning something. Is there something wrong with that?

Regarding this raffle, dont know about Israelis, but Americans would pay 180 for free apartment raffle, but I dont know how many would be interested in an apartment in E"Y, though.

Inspired

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 3:29 am
amother wrote:
A real apartment? That's crazy!

Please explain to me how this is an appropriate use of amother. How does it not break the stated rules?

My only opinion on the OP is I don't see why the support of luxurious living is a good tactic for a yeshiva. I hate when the things I left Chul to avoid come here, like this type of thing. Why promote living limaala min the standard like that? It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

daamom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 3:34 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
No.

But the mitzva of tzedaka is the actual giving, doesnt matter what the intentions are.
A guy who donates a million to a yeshiva building even if hes doing just for the kavod, and to have his name on the outside of the building still gets a big mitzva.

In recent years these major chinese auctions became so popular in NY. And though maybe ppl. would have given tzedaka anyway, l'maaseh the fact is that ppl. give much much more when they have a chance of winning something. Is there something wrong with that?

Regarding this raffle, dont know about Israelis, but Americans would pay 180 for free apartment raffle, but I dont know how many would be interested in an apartment in E"Y, though.

I don't think anyone here was saying it's assur (I wouldn't even know, I've never discussed this halachically with DH, or anyone else), but that they were choosing a more "lechatchila" way as far as how they give tzedakah.
I'm sure you'll agree with the idea, theoretically, even if you yourself don't decide to stick to that.

daamom

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 3:37 am
Inspired wrote:
My only opinion on the OP is I don't see why the support of luxurious living is a good tactic for a yeshiva. I hate when the things I left Chul to avoid come here, like this type of thing. Why promote living limaala min the standard like that? It leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

I have to agree with you. I sometimes wonder if it's only a matter of time that we turn into a mini-chul in that sense...

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 3:56 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
No.

But we're talking about getting something physical, that's worth money, in return. If that's OK, why can't I just call all the money I spend on groceries maaser? I give tzedaka to the guy who runs the store, and he gives me back rice and milk and vegetables and some other good stuff. True, I gave with the intent of getting, but my intention isn't what matters...

And to the OP, I think it's a good idea as long as you have a good + large target group. Remember that you'll have to sell at least 2,500 tickets or so just to make back the price of the item, plus some more to make up for the cost of printing tickets, etc, so make sure you have a lot of people to market to. Meaning not just people who are interested, but people who are interested and can do without $180 (a rapidly shrinking population) and hold that it's OK to play the lottery.

I can see how it could go really well, but I can also imagine Israelis deciding it's not worth it and Americans not being sure they want an apartment in Israel that much, and so having trouble with sales.

Metukah

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 4:48 am
queen wrote:
Please send me a PM if this auction actually gets off the ground as I'd probably be interested in buying a ticket for $180. GREAT ORIGINAL IDEA!!!!! Thumbs Up

just for your info... although vast majority THINKS they are, auction donations are NOT tax deductible. (this is coming from a CPA's wife)

I would also love to enter if this actually gets underway!
as for them not being tax deductible - if there is a very small footnote that one need not pay to enter the auction (just as oorah do...) it is tax deductable! (this is coming from an almost cpa..)
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics