Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Schedule

judith

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 5:38 am
anyone have any ideas of a practical, not too hard to keep to, schedule routine, for a household of B"H five children incl a newborn.
thank you in advance

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 10:12 am
Whoa. How about, "survive"? lol

Seriously, be specific - do you mean bedtimes, mealtimes, housework, what?

judith

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 3:20 pm
hmm.......EVERYTHING!

Tovah

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 3:33 pm
hmm well I don't have 5 ,two bli a''y but basically with two babies I learn to do less.
-laundry only 2x a week in stead of everyday. I do after shabbos and wed.
-try to cook some suppers on sundays and make double portions to freeze.
-if u can use deliveries services for groceries call a head u save so much time.
- if u have a cleaning lady then let her do the job and don't inbetween clean. except for the sweeping of course.
-I don't but many ppl use paper plates less to wash but more garbage.

SMG

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 4:15 pm
My advice is a little different- I find that laundry every day or almost every day is easier because nothing piles up. I can handle one dirty hamper, but too much more is overwhelming. I can handle folding one load a day, but when it piles up it seems easier not to get to it.
I use a lot of paper and plastic, but only on certain days. Plastic cups- always, except on Shabbos. Paper bowls- on Shabbos so I don't have milchig around and if we had fleishig for dinner and I need a milchig bowl for lunch or breakfast the next day if there is fleishig around.
I try to involved my kids in cleaning up by making it a game. I use the timer a lot to keep them going.
For example, play for 5 minutes, timer goes off, pick up 5 things.
Play for 8 minutes, timer goes off, pick up 8 things. They are 4 1/2 and just turning 3, and sometimes we only get thru a few "rounds", but they are still helping some.
When I have a room that is all clean and I don't want them in it to mess up, I keep the lights off.
Dusting, etc. I let the cleaning lady do. I am scraping to pay for her now, I am going to get my money's worth. It isn't any more work for her to dust a week's worth of dust than a 1/2 week's worth, but my time can go to very important things.
I also stopped being to picky about sorting a lot of the toys. There are big bins, and as long as they are in there and not all over the house, I am happy.
I just read a good velcro tip- put a strip of velcro up on the wall in a bedroom or playroom, all stuffed animals can get picked up and put on there. A little more fun for the kids to help with also.
Good luck and cut yourself some slack. Smile

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 4:43 pm
http://www.flylady.net

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 6:32 pm
A second vote for flylady.net (of course!)

red sea

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 6:51 pm
I tried flylady once but it was much too structured for me. I do laundry daily since it is much easier to put away. I throw a load in first thing in the morning, sometime during the day a quiet moment, I dump it in the drier, later before I go to sleep I make sure to put it away. I have my house divided up in my head into 4 sections, monday - thurs I spend 15-30 min cleaning one section, whatever is bugging me the most. The house gets cleaned spotless of toys, clutter, dishes everynight before kids go to bed, and the rest after - yes they do toys I do dishes not the reverse. If the bedrooms are somewhat not so cleaned up I can overlook it at times and just keep the doors shut. Dishwashers are a must investment, if not disposable as much as you can. The dishwasher get emptied first thing in the am before breakfast so all dirty things go straight in , I don't be picky how they stack it in. The house gets a thorough whole family pitch in cleaning job for shabbos and again after havdala. I prepare dinner during nap time - the quietest time of day. I try to plan shopping so I don't have to go every day, just 2-3 times a week.

realeez

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 7:49 pm
that velcro idea for stuffed animals sounds great!!!

Milk Munch

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 7:54 pm
We find that if we can keep certain parts of the house in order we can stand some clutter in the rest.
Basically, my playroom always looks like a tornado just passed through it and my upstairs, living room /dining room and kitchen eating area are usually pretty neat.
My husband insisted when my first son was a toddler that all toys MUST be in the playroom (NONE in his room) and that we ONLY eat in the kitchen (and DR on shabbos) I thought he was being really stirict but now I am soooo happy that we have these rules established. I would say it is really worth instituting some rules like that even if it will take work because you will be gaining so much in the long run.

Try one of those non-electric carpet vacs for quick cleanups. (My 4 yr. old thinks it is a TREAT when I let him use it) Dusting is also a great job for kids. I give my kids those swiffer dusting sheets and they just go all over the house with them. They can see how much dirt they picked up on them which is really exciting too.
I have learned not to underestimate what even toddlers are capable of doing.

raizy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 9:29 pm
I do laundry every day. but once it is washed and dryed then I fold or the cl folds 2 times a week.

I keep the doors closed of the rooms that I dont want the kids to go into.

and a small mess is easyeir to clean then let the house get all messy and dirty. so I clean a bit every day.

but I think with a newborn in the house . u have to take things easy. now I dont want my hubby to hear that I said that.. he thinks I am a maniac when it comes to cleanig and messes... I hate them.

proudmom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 9:32 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....5f7a6

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 9:20 am
Quote:
Try one of those non-electric carpet vacs for quick cleanups.

Milk Munch, where did you get yours? ive been looking for one.

Milk Munch

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 8:29 am
I think Wal-Mart

happyone

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 9:21 am
Full time cleaning help??
Babysitters??
Mothers helper in the evenings???

of course you need the cash flow for all of this!!! Just talking to myself, thinking this would be nice in my life! (great dreaming....)

chen

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 10:07 am
RG wrote:
Quote:
Try one of those non-electric carpet vacs for quick cleanups.

Milk Munch, where did you get yours? ive been looking for one.

check the Bissell website and search for "carpet sweeper". They are great. warning: they do not deep clean like a vacuum cleaner, just sweep the surface. if your carpets are not very valuable and you don't need them to last 50 years, that's ok. if your carpets are valuable, you must vacuum often to remove the grit that sinks down into the pile and will eventually destroy it. the sweeper is still fabulous for quick pickup, makes the room look presentable in no time, and is even fun and safe for the kiddies to operate.

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 03 2006, 10:13 am
Thank you Chen so much. youve saved my sanity and my family's too LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics