Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you polish the menora b4 putting it away for the year?

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:32 am
I have no silver polish left at home and can't get out of the house right now. Would it be really bad to put it away unpolished? I will clean it and wipe it down, but not polish.. what do you think?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:33 am
I think it depends on where you store it. If you put it in the china closet for viewing, then polish it when you can go out. If you put it away in storage somewhere, you are anyway going to polish it next year, so I don't think it's a big deal.

ss321

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:34 am
what fabulous said.

If you dont have any silver polish, take out a bottle of toothpaste and use that. Works just the same, really.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:35 am
dh polishes at the end of chanukah and then again before, the next year.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:38 am
ss321 wrote:
what fabulous said.

If you dont have any silver polish, take out a bottle of toothpaste and use that. Works just the same, really.

really? toothpaste? wow!

yeah, we will put it in storage, so I guess we can polish it when we take it out again next year, iyh.

ss321

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:43 am
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
ss321 wrote:
what fabulous said.

really? toothpaste? wow!

yeah, we will put it in storage, so I guess we can polish it when we take it out again next year, iyh.
\

yea, ive used toothpaste when I was in a jam and didnt have time to go out. Use one like arm and hammer that has baking soda in it.

if youre putting it in storage though, dont bother embarrassed , it will tarnish, you (or DH) will wanna repolish it before next chanukah anyway. We leave ours out in the silver cabinet, so he polishes his before putting it back.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:44 am
I live in a VERY humid place and just a few blocks from the ocean, so any silver will tarnish over the course of the year, even if it's in one of those glass closets. I still shine it before channukah and at the end of channukah. (since it's been out of the closet for 8 days and by then it's pretty brown again)

I also polish it if we're having an important event in the house and want everything looking perfect.

But if you live somewhere where there is no salty air or humidity, then I guess you don't need to do that.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:44 am
I live in a VERY humid place and just a few blocks from the ocean, so any silver will tarnish over the course of the year, even if it's in one of those glass closets. I still shine it before channukah and at the end of channukah. (since it's been out of the closet for 8 days and by then it's pretty brown again)

I also polish it if we're having an important event in the house and want everything looking perfect.

But if you live somewhere where there is no salty air or humidity, then I guess you don't need to do that.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:49 am
wrap tightly in aluminum foil to "foil" tarnish if you don't keep it on display.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics