Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Salt containers are horrible !
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:19 pm
Is it only me, or are the cardboard containers that salt comes in, really cheaply made? I need something better; help !

poemmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:23 pm
I got "David's" salt b/c it came in a cardboard cannister not a box. For the long time it takes us to use up, the price dif was not significant -- but if you use tons of salt why not just transfer the whole box to a plastic cannister when you get it.

yikes!

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:24 pm
I hate it when the spout doesn't open properly.

poemmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:30 pm
Baby cereal too --
I like that Beechnut changed to a cap, not those awful spouts.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:31 pm
try sea salt ... the canister is plastic ...

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 1:22 pm
do you mean those semi-perforated "easy-open" tabs that are embossed into the side of the box , that you have to punch in and the box always collapses? The pasta boxes and detergent boxes are just as bad. I buy table salt in a round carton maybe once every 2-3 years, and they all have a metal pour spout that works just fine. Kosher salt in the box, otoh, has that useless "easy-open" tab. Years ago it, too, had a metal pour spout. Those were the days.

Fox

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 2:14 pm
What you need is a "salt pig". I use one from Ikea that hangs from the wall, but you can also get one that just stands on the counter. BTW, you can get them without the ears, tail, and oink!
http://www.cybercucina.com/ccd.....aSalt

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 2:27 pm
Well, I need something, either a pig or not !

poemmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:07 pm
"Rabbi, if I put salt in my salt pig and leave it 1 hr..."

just kidding!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:19 pm
poemmom wrote:
I got "David's" salt b/c it came in a cardboard cannister not a box. For the long time it takes us to use up, the price dif was not significant -- but if you use tons of salt why not just transfer the whole box to a plastic cannister when you get it.

I also got David's this past pesach....still have it around...(my only salt now)

goodheart

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 8:59 pm
omg! I thought I was the only one that had this problem
I thought it was my fault all the time im glad that it not only me .

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:01 pm
Fox, that would never work here. We've had ants climb into the holes in our salt shaker before.

When I buy salt, I put it in a labeled plastic container as soon as I get home.

anonymom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:21 pm
poemmom wrote:
Baby cereal too --
I like that Beechnut changed to a cap, not those awful spouts.

You can thank me. I called them up when I had trouble with those spouts and complained and they took me seriously.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:30 pm
Are you talking about the round containers? Whats wrong with them? You just have to be careful not to put it on a wet counter.

And just to complain about other products, how about the yogurt companies that become cheap and stopped making normal covers/lids. Most companies (besides Mehadrin) make a plain pull off foil cover. My little kids usually dont eat a whole container, and every time I put back a half container in the fridge, it ends up spilling. Mad

anonymom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 12:42 am
When Dannon stopped the lids and went to foil, they bragged that now there will be more plastic to make toys for children. IANMTU. (I am not making this up--but I did just make up the acronym. LOL.)

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:00 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
My little kids usually dont eat a whole container, and every time I put back a half container in the fridge, it ends up spilling. Mad

Grrrr....that's so aggravating.
How about those welded-shut plastic blister packs for everything from ipod headsets to vitamins that require a hacksaw to open? No joke, people have ended up in emergency rooms with lacerations suffered when trying to open up those things. Meantime, the most fragile manufactured objects on earth---lightbulbs--are packed in the flimsiest, most pathetic excuse for a carton that doesn't even have the strength to hold its own shape. What are those packaging engineers thinking?

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:04 am
zaq wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
My little kids usually dont eat a whole container, and every time I put back a half container in the fridge, it ends up spilling. Mad

Grrrr....that's so aggravating.
How about those welded-shut plastic blister packs for everything from ipod headsets to vitamins that require a hacksaw to open? No joke, people have ended up in emergency rooms with lacerations suffered when trying to open up those things. Meantime, the most fragile manufactured objects on earth---lightbulbs--are packed in the flimsiest, most pathetic excuse for a carton that doesn't even have the strength to hold its own shape. What are those packaging engineers thinking?

Simple--lightbulbs are worth so little no one bothers to steal them.

The giant hard plastic packaging is hard to cut, so it's hard for someone to get the often small item out and into their pockets.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:17 am
avigailmiriam wrote:

The giant hard plastic packaging is hard to cut, so it's hard for someone to get the often small item out and into their pockets.

and IMPOSSIBLE for the buyer.

curlytop

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:05 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Are you talking about the round containers? Whats wrong with them? You just have to be careful not to put it on a wet counter.

And just to complain about other products, how about the yogurt companies that become cheap and stopped making normal covers/lids. Most companies (besides Mehadrin) make a plain pull off foil cover. My little kids usually dont eat a whole container, and every time I put back a half container in the fridge, it ends up spilling. Mad

Let them eat it with a straw... its neater and won't spill as fast in the fridge

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:11 am
curlytop wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Let them eat it with a straw... its neater and won't spill as fast in the fridge

But will spoil faster. Unless you know your kids will finish a "single-serve' package of food, it's best to spoon it out into a dish and refrigerate the balance. That way their saliva won't contaminate the rest of the container and either they or someone else can eat it later. Mama's myths to the contrary, it's NOT OK for family members to eat from the same dish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics