Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Recommendations?

Teacup9

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 1:12 pm
I'm trying to read more Jewish books. I love The Midrash Says and try to reread the parsha every week. Recently I read All For The Boss and LOVED it. I read All For the Best and wasn't too enthralled and I tried a couple more biographies after that, but couldn't get into them. I read Ma'em Lo'ez often, but they aren't books I can cuddle up and get lost in. Any suggestions? Bonus points if I can request it at the library. Thanks!

Ilovechoumous

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 1:21 pm
I really loved Garden of Emuna. it seriously has made a big impact on me. I read it a few times, over a period of a month.
am in the middle of the follow up book to that now, called "The Garden of Yearning" but its taking me a while to get through (usually I get through books quite easily.)

last year I read, "lights of jerusalem" by Sarah Yocheved Rigler and was amazing. I bought another book by her called, "Holy Woman" but im still reading "the Garden of Yearning" and lent my copy of "Holy Woman" to a friend. the funny thing is, today another friend handed me her copy of "Holy Woman" and told me that I must read it....

im interested to see others' recommendations.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 2:47 pm
I also really enjoyed Holy Woman by Sarah Yocheved Rigler.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 2:49 pm
Do you want religious books, or would you be interested in Jewish history recommendations as well?

star

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:02 pm
What about Jewish novels? Are you looking for reccommendations on those too?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:16 pm
search in your library's online catalog for Jewish, Shabbos, etc. or by publisher like Feldhiem, Menorah, etc.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:18 pm
If you're looking for an amazing novel, I think it's called Deep Blue or True Blue by Meir Uri Gottesman.

Carefulmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:19 pm
I just finished "The Lost Daughter" I loved it. It is a novel so I'm not sure you like jewish novels.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:23 pm
Are you only interested in heavier books? I found sheffield an interesting read. It's non fiction.
I really liked the novel- Sun Inside Rain- absorbing and well written.

patriot

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 1:35 pm
do you want fiction or non fiction?
I was "wow"ed by "the miracle next door" by, almost certain its, chana adler.
I enjoy personal struggle books- Encore, Heartstrings, The Way I See It
Daughter of Two Mothers, and the other one by that author (sorry, im drawing blank now. perhaps someone can help me out) are both excellent books.
I read anything that comes my way, and read most of the recommendations that were made here. my recommendation is, go for them!!! they are all great reads!

HooRYou

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:11 pm
I double Fabulous. I really enjoyed all the Uri Gottesman books, they are nto the usual thing but you can definitely get lost in them. I also loved IN Every Generation. It is technically the biography of Rov Shmuel Aharon Yudelevitch, but the book starts with his grandfather (hence the name). It reads like a novel except no one could make al this stuff up. There are a couple of other frum novels that I liked if you don't mind reading the oldies.

star

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 11:41 pm
'Course if you're asking for reccommendations, I have to reccomend mine - Miracle Ride. It's about cancer, it was my diary written when I was a teenager, and it's honest, but also really funny and has a great (and happy) ending.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room