Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Just Starting to Walk-Hates Shoes!!!

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 8:41 am
Has anybody ever experienced this? My twelve month old (today is his birthday!!) is beginning to take a few wobbly independent steps (the earliest amongst his siblings), therefore I bought him his first pair of shoes. They are soft, comfortable, well-fitted. However, he HATES them! He acts like I tied a potato sack full of potatoes to his feet. He refuses to walk and screams when I put them on him!! I understand that it feels strange, after having been almost barefoot (socks only) for a year. But, this reaction is quite strong. Any suggestions?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 8:44 am
In my experience, all babies love the idea of shoes and bye-bye, but not actually wearing them.

chen

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 8:46 am
He doesn't actually need shoes until he's walking outside. Let him walk in the house barefoot or in socks with nonskid bottoms for the time being.

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 9:13 am
shoes can actually hinder the development of walking, so don't worry about it. just put them on when he's outside, but there's no need to push them on him any other time.

shoy18

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 11:08 am
nicole81 wrote:
shoes can actually hinder the development of walking, so don't worry about it. just put them on when he's outside, but there's no need to push them on him any other time.

My mother is adamant about this, she says a child should not wear shoe, even soft ones until they are completely walking steadily on their own.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 11:32 am
My parents had us, in the olden days, in those soft leather booties, but these days, the drs say, the kids don't needs shoes until they're walking strongly outdoors.

We all wear slippers in the house anyway.

didan

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 12:46 pm
B"H

Ditto to the above posts. I did not take my kids shoe shopping until they had been walking unaided for 2-3 weeks. They need to master the art of walking before the feel of wearing shoes, in addition to the fact that it's easier to learn, and healthier for the feet, if left barefoot.

My 15 month old is just now starting to walk. Maybe I'll lose a couple of pounds chasing her:)

proudmom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 12:51 pm
My daughter hates anything on her feet, I put socks on them they are off in a spam of 5 minutes.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 6:10 pm
it takes getting used to.
ditto - inside just let him walk around in socks.
Put it on for only a few minutes here and there, I think. It's a weird sentation for them, this thing between their feet and the floor

raizy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2006, 8:49 pm
at home who cares if they are barefoot. but outside if it is cold then u must put on shoes. boots. or booties.

I have seen to many mothers letting the kids go outside in the freezing cold with nothing but a sock on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics