Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How not to stand out at a family wedding
1  2  Next

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:06 pm
Suppose the whole family is renting gowns in the champagne color. You’re perfectly happy with bringing your kids in their Shabbos clothes. I mean, you’d love to get them champagne gowns, even matching ballet shoes and so on, but there is nothing in the budget to allow that. How do you handle this situation?! We’re hitting this snag right now and I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings, and I don’t want to stand out as the nebach who arrived in Shabbos clothes.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:13 pm
I wouldn't give a hoot about what the other family members will think, but I would just be concerned about how are your kids going to feel?
Why dont you try a gemach? You dont have to match colorwise, but at least your kids should feel that they are dressed chasunadig.

shoy18

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:29 pm
I would look into gemachs, as well as informing whomever the wedding party is that you simply cant afford to match maybe they can help out with the funds.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:31 pm
I am a plus size... I went to a rental that magically has 18's... and found 2 things - $500 to RENT for ONE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gemachs don't have big sizes and I don't want to look like a fool. In my size, it's easy to mess up and look like a beaded fridge.

pacifier

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:44 pm
for your kids, shabat clothes for boys should be good. and for girls, if you can't find anything cheap, buy some tulle and make them sparkley tulle skirts. that will look fancy enough.

you might be able to find online some nice cheap gowns for girls....
as for you, I guess it must be hard to find something nice for the right price.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:47 pm
May I ad... the wedding is this Thursday

shoy18

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:48 pm
may I ask why you waited so long??

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:51 pm
I don't know about for you, but for your children, can they wear a sash or flower in that color?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:52 pm
Don't belly dance.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 7:57 pm
LOL, I got my daughter a gown from a gemach for one cousin's wedding the day before, exchanged it the actual day of the wedding. shock for another cousin, she borrowed a different cousin's gown the night before the wedding. We were trying to shop the Friday before, found nothing, and had to cut it short because it was Erev shabbos. The wedding was on Sunday.

Good luck shaklee mom, I'm going to PM some gemach numbers later tonight, when I get back.

Here's another idea: I was shopping last week at Syms, and noticed that there's a department for ladies formal evening wear, I saw quite a few nice things, on sale. Prices were probably around $100- $150, IIRC. Does that sound reasonable? (but if you want to stay out of manhattan, I guess not).

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 8:00 pm
I waited this long because I couldn’t get everyone to coordinate the same gemach, same time, same color, so everyone’s doing their own thing. Leaving me stranded. I’m posting merely about the budgeting… not about the resources. I can find last minute (thanks for the Syms suggestion). I’m just upset about the Extra money out of our budget now.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 8:01 pm
you can always sell them on afterwards if you buy stuff.

newatit

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:50 am
where is the wedding? I have a champagne gown size 4-6 if that helps anyone in your family. if theres nothing champagne maybe try something in that color family or atleast something that matches

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 12:10 pm
it's shameful that the "whole family" is wearing such clothes. it really does not have to be!

dimples

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 12:22 pm
deifnately look for things online, you can find cheap things for little girls, esp since it is after the holidays...google flower girl dresses, im sure you can find stuff. ( im looking for a tux for my baby, and ive seen very pretty dresses for cheap!!!) I also suggest the gemach. good luck!!!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 1:24 pm
I don't know where you're located, but I know that Augenbraun's in Brooklyn (Boro Park and Flatbush) locations has gowns in 18-20 sizes (tasetful things for those sizes) in the $200 range (for items that have ben worn before). Alterations are extra.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 1:31 pm
Shaklee Mom, to my brother's wedding yesterday I wore a stunning satin black suit for $260, which I can now wear IYH to al lmy future siblings and even nephews' weddings. Granted I'm a size 12-14 and I dont wear gowns, but suits, but I'm sure there's somewhere in BP you can find somethinhg liek that. I bought mine in Willy in a regular store and it was just stunning!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:30 pm
newatit wrote:
where is the wedding? I have a champagne gown size 4-6 if that helps anyone in your family. if theres nothing champagne maybe try something in that color family or atleast something that matches

thanks. my left foot maybe.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:33 pm
Dh and I agreed to forego the $500 rental. I picked up something at saks today.. a black sweater with velvet ruffles-and-bows down the front and sleeves. I’ll wear it with my velvet skirt. HOLD IT, dh didn’t see it on me yet. He has phenomenal taste so he may just hate it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:33 pm
No gemach has a gown available for the girls? I din't think you should give a hoot about it. My sil got married once and everyone wore champagne and I wore black-I didn't care. Wasn't going to spend the extra few hundred if I had the perfect (wrong colored) gown. Mil was fine with it so that helped too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics