Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tip for: Which Side did I Nurse On Last?
1  2  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 9:24 pm
Just wanted to share a tip I read in a magazine that's been working for me.
Ever forget which side you nursed your baby on? Does it annoy you? Did you try the tip about having a safety pin on your bra -- can you really remember to keep switching it?
Anyhow, I found an idea -- wear a bracelet on the hand of the side you need to nurse on next. I wear a rubber one - it's easy to switch hands. If I forget to switch it while I'm nursing, I can do it while I'm practically doing anything. It's been working for me! So I thought I'd share!

chen

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 9:50 pm
much better than the traditional tip about switching your wedding ring from one hand to the other--lots of us can't fit the ring on the opp. hand.

MOM222

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:07 pm
Just attach a small safty pin on the bra on the side you just finished nursing. Works great!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:32 pm
Why do you need to start on the opposite side the next time. I'm nursing, but embarassed to say I don't really pay too much attention to this. Perhaps if I knew why. Thanks.

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:35 pm
MOM222 wrote:
Just attach a small safty pin on the bra on the side you just finished nursing. Works great!

Yep mom told me about that too Smile

[quote amother]Why do you need to start on the opposite side the next time. I'm nursing, but embarassed to say I don't really pay too much attention to this. Perhaps if I knew why. Thanks.[quote]

The side that I finish, I start the on the next nursing. I completely forgot what's the reason for it. Question

imanut

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:44 pm
you switch sides to keep up your milk supply in both sides and to keep from getting engorged.
I don't use any reminders, I just picture the position I nursed in last. very occasionally I mix it up but it always stays pretty even.

MOM222

this really only matters in the begining.

Lets say you nursed the right side more than the left side the next time you would want to start from the left side. otherwise you would get engorged and could get a breast infection. Or if you do this too many times one side would always have more milk than another side.

hardwrknmom

thank you imanut!

Mommy912

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:48 pm
You can end up "lop-sided" if you always favor one side.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 10:53 pm
I found myself to be lopsided without favoring! but I think I straightened out now!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 11:00 pm
sometimes babies favor one side!
but yes, you need to try to alternate sides - also because if you use the same side as last time, there might not be enough milk yet for the baby.
Well, maybe if your baby nursing both sides equally each nursing, it doesn't matter. But my baby only nurses one side each feeding.
I tried the safety pin and it didnt' work for me. I am not wearing a March of Dimes bracelet to help me out. Smile

Frumom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 11:01 pm
I thought of the bracelet thing too. Thats what I used to do, the safety pin thing is annoying!

hisorerus

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 11:34 pm
At the beginning (and even now sometimes) I can FEEL which side is fuller... I.e. the side I didn't most recently nurse on.

queen

Post Sat, Feb 04 2006, 11:38 pm
I was favoring my left side as it enabled me to get stuff done with my right hand (namely type on imamother).

LOL, I DID end up slightly bigger on my left side...... Recently as I've hardly been on this site, plus made an effort to nurse comfortably in the recliner, my sides have basically evened out.

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 1:00 am
I am a lefty and my babies all favoured the right side. I guess bc I was more comfartable holding them that way. next baby I will try to do things more evenly. I just right it down every feed. which side and how much.and how long. I do that in the begining otherwise I dont remember when they ate last.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 05 2006, 12:01 pm
hisorerus wrote:
At the beginning (and even now sometimes) I can FEEL which side is fuller...

same here....but if my mother's over and I'm going to nurse in the living room, I feel kind of funny "feeling" which side is fuller!!! also, you can't always tell Smile

happy2beme

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 11:17 am
thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!!!
by my first baby- I'd drive my self nuts trying to remember- I stayed by my mom awhile after the baby so I'd go around the house asking everyone which way they saw me holding the baby (under the blanket...)
Smile then I'd try writing it down (didn't work either!)
my second is now ka"h 9 mo old so I did the same thing in the beginning: going nuts trying to remember like by my first. now for the past few mo- I've stopped even trying. But I'll keep that tip in mind for next time iy'h Smile

ny_ima

Post Sat, Mar 04 2006, 10:39 pm
You can end up "lop-sided" if you always favor one side.

good tip for those who started up lop-sided Surprised they say left side everything is always slightly bigger (and I really wonder if most of the population is like that, then why don't they make shoes with the left a touch larger???)

I read somewhere but dont remember which tzaddik wrote:*
Quote:
"start to nurse always from the left
and then go to the right"
it's not an halacha, but has kabbalistic reasons to start on side of chesed and then to gevurah(strength) so I try to do it unless other side really feels fuller and I need relief...this way though, I never forget which side to begin. yes millions of baby books, but if something comes from kedusha, I try to follow no questions asked

* from the sefer "tefilla le moshe" st like that. all kinds of tips for life and special tefillos and segulot....3 volumes

ny_ima

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 3:31 am
oops. the left side is gevurah and the right is chesed.
the reason is "hamtakas ha-din" -sweetening the din.

chanala

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 3:36 am
I always started on the side more likely to explode first! LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics