Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Carpet or Vinyl?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:16 pm
My new apartment again. I'm putting down a floor in the dining room and the choices are carpet that will continue from the living room, or vinyl tiles that look like wood. Both are very nice, it's just the practicality that I'm concerned about. The carpet costs me like $3/sq. ft. inc. installation, while the vinyl tiles will cost me $5.80/sq. ft. inc. installation, plus with the vinyl I need to pay about an extra $100 for a moulding. I don't want to be cheap, but it's not my place and I can't see us living there for more than 5 years or so. The carpet is beautiful but I have 2 babies and what happens when there's a squashed meatball? It's so much cheaper though...

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:18 pm
what about just leaving the plain wood ...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:21 pm
if you don't want to spend too much money and don't intend to stay long term, why not get a large area rug? it'll be softer for baby to crawl on and you can take it when you move. it may also be easier to clean than a regular carpet. you can get one that's stain resistant.

vinyl is easier to clean, carpet is more comfy for baby. if you like the carpet, get a carpet steamer so you can clean off the meatball stains Smile or you can get a cheap splat mat for under the high chair to catch the meatballs.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:22 pm
I wish I could, believe me! It's not an expense that I want but the wood is shot. There are peices missing and it's so worn out that it turned a dark rot-like color grey. It's impossible to scrape.

bubs

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 6:19 am
Get one of the stain resistant carpets and get a mat for under the high chair. Carpet looks great and is cheap. If it's not your place, go for that . Alternatively, price laminate flooring. You can get them for under $1 and installation is not much either. They look like wood but wipe clean.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 6:34 am
If you can swing it, I'd do the vinyl. You might make up the extra up front expenses bc it will be easier to clean/maintain than carpet (especially with little ones).

I had carpet in my old apartment, and it was a potchke to clean. I really love that now (only hardwood and tile except for the tiny office which is still carpet) I just have to sweep/swiffer and my house looks put together in 5 min.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 7:14 am
JOOC, why isn't the owner/landlord taking care of this?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 8:39 am
Landlord doesn't want to and doesn't have to. It's worth it for me though cuz the rent is not as high as it would be if it was finished.

I looked into laminate and it's not water-proof. I'm leaning towards the carpet now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics