Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to do with curly hair
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:46 am
What do you do with your curly hair?

Did you cut it short? Do you leave it long? Tie it up? Does your tichel/sheitel still fit?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my very thick and curly hair that spends all day in a bun. And needs about 3 hours down time to dry nicely - and that never, ever, ever happens.

Any ideas?

morkush

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:50 am
I keep mine in a shortish small bun. And I never let it dry, just tie it up when it's wet, and get my pillow sopping wet or my tichel wet...
I try not to put my shaitel on right after I wash my hair so as not to ruin it. But if my hair is just damp then I'll wear it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:50 am
one of the hardest things is that it's not gonna dry ... if you wanna keep it covered proper ...

you gotta put it in wet otherwise it's gonna pop out all over the place ... large barrette upside down by the neck - then another one right side up for some length ... or make it 2 if even longer ...

never cut it too short or you're gonna end up with it all over the place as well ... some people say to thin it - but I think it's a mistake as well because thinning it pushes the shorter hairs up to curl from underneath ...

good luck !!!

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:55 am
Blowdry it and finish with straightening iron... Put in a hairband and you'll get tons of compliments on your new "sheitel"... Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:58 am
Part of my problem is that I want it to be pretty. when it is always in a bun or pinned up - its just not pretty! - and sometimes I just want to feel good about myself with my hair. Before I was married it was beautiful.

I recently saw in an old thread someone wrote about how she cut it very short and it looked nice and touchable after wards.

I'm curious if anybody else did that.

And Greenfire - I agree with you - one of the main reasons I have not cut it short yet is because I'm scared of having fly aways everywhere.

Recently at the dr office I saw one of the nurse's with a cute little curly bob on her head. But her hair looked thinner then mine. I was wondering if such a thing would work covered.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:59 am
Chocoholic wrote:
Blowdry it and finish with straightening iron... Put in a hairband and you'll get tons of compliments on your new "sheitel"... Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Yeah right! When I was single I was once paid $65 to have straightened - it was very long. I looked like a witch and washed it an hour later. It was a waste of $$ but an important lesson - be happy with what you have!

ozfest

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:02 am
no, do NOT cut your hair short! really bad idea! especially if it's thick..sounds like it'll turn into more of an afro than a cute bob.
I really miss my pretty curls too, but I don't cover my hair at home so whenever I can I mousse or gel it after it's washed and leave it out to dry - that way I (and my dh) can enjoy my curly hair, even if noone else sees it..is that an option for u?
sometimes sleeping on it wet leaves the curls looking smooth and soft the next morning, but still thin and damp enough to tie into a tight bun that will fit well under a sheitel.

ozfest

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Yeah right! When I was single I was once paid $65 to have straightened - it was very long. I looked like a witch and washed it an hour later. It was a waste of $$ but an important lesson - be happy with what you have!

I love how chocoholic's laughing so hard at her own joke Smile

just a question for amother - is your sheitel curly or straight? I have both and I find that the people who knew me before I got married prefer the curly one, while anyone who met me after I got married like me better with straight hair...interesting...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:15 am
Mine is straight. I'm terrified of getting a curly sheitel. I'm actually looking into getting a new sheitel now and I have no clue what to get. I've heard that with a curly sheitel you can wash it and mousse it just like hair - but I'm too nervous about it.

I've been married 4 years now and when people see me in my sheitel they still don't recognize me.

I don't wear my hair uncovered outside my bedroom (that is not changing) so its not realistic to let it dry down.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:16 am
what I love about my hair is that I can actually wear it curly or blow it straight ... just never in the summer ... and never with a sheitel ... anyways - I did leave mine uncovered in the house otherwise I would've gone mad ... perhaps that is one of the reasons I chucked the sheitel upon divorce ... you put it in wet enough of the time and it begins to smell like a moldy rancid wet bathing suit that someone forgot to hang dry ... What

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:18 am
ozfest wrote:
no, do NOT cut your hair short! really bad idea! especially if it's thick..sounds like it'll turn into more of an afro than a cute bob.

Thanks for the warning - maybe I'll chuck this whole idea of cutting it short! I just wish it would look nice Sad. When I do gel it before going to sleep it is sticky until it dries so there is no advantage there.

ozfest

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:27 am
curly/wavy sheitels have come a long way since the days of the tight perms some of our mothers used to wear...mine is so easy to maintain! I wash it myself using the same products I use on my own hair. each morning I spray it with water and scrunch it with my hands, get ready for work, and by the time I put it on the curls are nice and fresh. it wasn't cheap but if you're willing to spend the money it's worth looking into some of the better sheitel brands...

mamacita

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 3:24 am
I have a curly sheitel. I used to french braid my hair underneath to keep it neat and under control, but then I went through some stress and cut it all off. Smile my hair, not my sheitel! eep! I look a bit like betty boop, and my scalp loves the freedom. It's getting a bit too long again and I"m not sure if I'm going to grow it out again or not. Quick showers, quick drying time, scalp rest, no lumps or bumps . . but when I wake up or brush it I do have a scary afro. But since no one outside of my bathroom mirrors see it, so what? Smile

tziganka

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 3:53 pm
I don't understand your question. Are you interested in growing it out again? If so then there are tons of things you can do to keep it neat under your shaitel. I myself have curly hair. What I do is put it in a tight bun at the bottom most nape of my head. I also put a braid in the front to keep the shaitel in place. You can also make two braids on the side of your head and roll them up which also creates a neat look. Good luck!

avigailmiriam

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 4:12 pm
I wash my hair before I go to bed, and pat as much water out of it as possible. In the morning, it's 90% dry, and I put it in a ponytail or have my husband french braid it. French braids only work when my hair is still damp. It's usually fully dry by lunchtime. I only cover in the presence of men or outside the home, so I often leave it to airdry when I can in the mornings and then I just loosely braid it if I'm spending the day at home.

Then I just my tichel over it. I don't wear sheitels. My curls look about like this, only shorter.

http://www.curly-hair-styles-m.....1.jpg

I honestly have more issues because my hair is really slick/silky and that makes scarves slide off than with it being curly. I find that wearing a tightly fitting drawstring underscarf that ties in the back under my scarves helps keep them in place.

Oh, and I have issues fitting my hair under hats. I usually have to steam my structured wool hats to get them to be a bit larger so I can get all my hair under them. I have no problems wearing stretchy beanies.

My hair is just above my shoulders and I'm growing it out long; I want it waist length. Mine gets a bit straighter and easier to manage as it gets longer.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 4:53 pm
avigailmiriam - with all those pictures you post ... you leave me with this insanely curious need to see a picture of the real you ... I've never been so curious - call it nozy ... What

mamacita

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 2:30 am
hmm, the only examples of curly hair that looks like mine were perched on top of not so tzanua bodies/dresses. Smile hehe. Mine is corkscrew curly when long and much more relaxed when short (a tefach or 2 long) as long as I don't try to brush it and enrage the beast Smile

tziganka, I'd have to grow it long enough to fit in a bun first and that's the in between I worry about. I wear headbands to keep it from poking out, but it's just sooooo much easier to keep trimming it back down. We'll see what time will tell.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 2:42 am
mamacita wrote:
hmm, the only examples of curly hair that looks like mine were perched on top of not so tzanua bodies/dresses. Smile hehe. Mine is corkscrew curly when long and much more relaxed when short (a tefach or 2 long) as long as I don't try to brush it and enrage the beast Smile

tziganka, I'd have to grow it long enough to fit in a bun first and that's the in between I worry about. I wear headbands to keep it from poking out, but it's just sooooo much easier to keep trimming it back down. We'll see what time will tell.

I don't even try to brush my hair. It's hopeless. I finger comb it when wet. That's it.

ozfest

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 3:24 am
AM - if your hair is really like that pic it must be gorgeous! Although you can hardly see any of her hair, and it was kinda curling iron curled, but she sure does have nice eyes Smile

My hair would be the same, bigger curls rather than corkscrew, when I let it dry out properly..I guess that's why the longer it grows, the easier it is to manage. But if I put a sheitel on when wet, the top is flat and the ends are really curly...and I have the same prob with scarves, they slide right off my head..tres annoying...

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 3:55 am
ozfest wrote:
AM - if your hair is really like that pic it must be gorgeous! Although you can hardly see any of her hair, and it was kinda curling iron curled, but she sure does have nice eyes Smile

My hair would be the same, bigger curls rather than corkscrew, when I let it dry out properly..I guess that's why the longer it grows, the easier it is to manage. But if I put a sheitel on when wet, the top is flat and the ends are really curly...and I have the same prob with scarves, they slide right off my head..tres annoying...

My hair is somewhat thinner and currently darker than hers, but my curls are actually shaped like that! The model carries it off waaaaay better than I do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics