Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What's it like for non-lubavs in CH?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bubby

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:27 pm
Here in CH you have those who say Yechi & those who don't...those who fly flags & those who don't...but we ALL want Moshiach !! This political stuff is less of an issue than it used to be. And some of my best friends are.... Wink Wink Wink

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:28 pm
it seems like you would fit in. there are a lot of different types in lubavitch. does your husband mind davening in a lubavitch shul?

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:29 pm
I didn't grow up lubavitch but my DH did and after we got married we lived there 3.5 years because he worked locally and his family lives there. I never felt like I didn't fit in, when my family came to visit they didn't either. The only issue I have is the parking, I learned how to parallel park while I lived there and now I'm a pro Very Happy. We're actually moving back soon.

bubby

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:31 pm
Don't worry about if you can park or not. There aren't any spaces! Exploding anger

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:31 pm
I should also mention that my DH's friend's grandfather lives in CH and he isn't lubavitch.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:33 pm
bubby wrote:
Don't worry about if you can park or not. There aren't any spaces! Exploding anger

tell me about it! I remember we'd have to park near my in-laws house if we were coming home late at night and they who lived a couple blocks away from us.

bubby

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:44 pm
We sometimes think we're going to have to park in Flatbush.

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:06 pm
I've lived in CH all my life, and know quite a few non-lubavitchers who all seem happy here. Maybe growing up next door to the last remaining Poilishe bastion aka shteibel meant I met a disproportionate number of them. But we also know people through our shlichus work in Manhattan (and just cuz DH seems to be drawn to anyone who looks a little different) and I know quite a few who have moved in more recently.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:12 pm
bubby wrote:

lol Nervous you are so right ...

micki

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 11:56 pm
o I opened my window & asked if he could help me park

when my MIL did this in boro park the man drove away in her car! stole it. B"H the police caught him.

mama-star

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:03 am
parallel parking gives me the heebie-jeebies...it's another thing I do NOT miss about the city...

TheBeinoni

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:17 am
bubby wrote:
We sometimes think we're going to have to park in Flatbush.

Rolling Laughter This is too funny!

OP - I think it will depend on who you mix with. If you find yourself mixing with a "yechi" crowd and that sorta thing bothers you, then you will feel isolated and uncomfortable. I have a friend who grew up very yeshivish, married a lubavitch BT guy who is totally "yechi." she respects chabad and the philosophies but wasn't into that crowd at all, but her husband is, so she absolutely hated CH. but it sounds like you are in a diff situation. sounds like you guys know where you stand, which is a good thing. there are some amazing ppl in CH (most of my closest friends that I have for years are living there right now) and like ppl have said, you can feel something very special over there. aside from the kedusha of an incredible tzadik having lived there (which is more relevant to some than others), I think its like any place in brooklyn - you gotta find your niche.

and OP if you end up moving there, PM me so I can put you in touch with some great ppl.

bbmom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 8:39 am
OP- if you already have friends here I think you'll be okay, especially if you already have a school for your kids. If you would say that you don't know anyone here, as much as I love the place I think you would have a very hard time fitting in. Lubavitchers can be friendly, welcoming and wonderful but this is New York, friendly people live here but you have to find them.

What kind of home are you looking to live in? Are housing prices here more or less than Flatbush? If you are looking to rent it is extremely difficult to find a place here. I have more than a few friends who are living in tiny one bedroom apartments with two kids simply because they are having such a hard time finding a decent, available two or three bedroom apartment.

We'd love to have you here!

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 8:53 am
OP I had a friend that sounded similar to you and she moved to flatbush after living in CH for awhile. But it was the schools that really was the reason that she left. It sounds like if you are going to be sending your son to ULY in flatbush then you should be fine here. There are alot of different people here. I have friends who are not relay Lub and they live here in CH.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 8:59 am
I have become a pro with parking here in CH as well. I have gotten out of a parking spot that has only a few inches space. I have also sqeezed into some really tight spots. The only time I really have a hard time is when the kids are really kvetching in tha back and I loose my concentration. I have learned the when a where to park in CH near my home. I know when there is a good chance of getting parking and when not. Like a motzei shabbos in the winter is really hard and forget about finding parking during tishrei.

bubby

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:00 am
PM me if you want to buy. We're selling. This is NOT an ad.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:04 am
Not everyone in CH wants or needs a car, you know. DH and I manage jsut fine without one

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:26 am
bbmom wrote:
OP- if you already have friends here I think you'll be okay, especially if you already have a school for your kids. If you would say that you don't know anyone here, as much as I love the place I think you would have a very hard time fitting in. Lubavitchers can be friendly, welcoming and wonderful but this is New York, friendly people live here but you have to find them.

What kind of home are you looking to live in? Are housing prices here more or less than Flatbush? If you are looking to rent it is extremely difficult to find a place here. I have more than a few friends who are living in tiny one bedroom apartments with two kids simply because they are having such a hard time finding a decent, available two or three bedroom apartment.

We'd love to have you here!
and I heard from people in real estate that there are lots of apartments now here in CH.... Prices have been stable for a while.

Usually, people living a one bedroom with kids, as much as they want something bigger, will wait for that perfect apartment, perfect location, since they're all set up, and happy with everything but the size, so they figure why should they go through the hassle of moving, if it's not for something top of the line.

I've met many people like that, who search for an apartment the same as a shidduch, and it can take just as long, LOL. But if you take something stam nice, and reasonable, and work with it, it shouldn't be hard to find, in the current market.

bbmom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:23 pm
In theory that may sound true - but when was the last time you moved? The people in real estate will be the first ones to tell you that things are available but the last ones to offer them to you. I just went through this - it was torture.

Stable prices? Is $1,100 a month for one bedroom apartment stable? I don't understand what that means.

Maybe the housing market has stabilized a bit but it doesn't seem like the OP is looking to buy a house, she made it pretty clear that her dream was to make Aliya, not to shell out $1 million for a CH house.

bbmom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:24 pm
May I add - there are plenty of condos available here. The real estate tycoons are putting them up like there's no tomorrow. The problem is they're charging 500k+ per condo...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating