Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Driving babysitter

Ima2

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 5:31 pm
Whever I need a babysitter it is b/c dh isn't home so I can't go out and pick up the babysitter. So I either get a babysitter who can drive or ask if they can get their parents to drive them and pick them up again. I usually tell them that I can't pick them up or drop them off and they always offer to ask their parents. Do you think that it's rude to have the parents drop off and pick up their kids from their babysitting job? I was always picked up and dropped off so I feel wierd about not doing that too. Is it not nice?

Lani22

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 5:34 pm
I think its fine as long as you let the babysitter know before she accepts the job. if she is not comfortable with the set up then she can choose to say no.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 5:42 pm
I always walked to babysitting jobs or chessed...

cassandra

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 5:55 pm
I don't think its weird at all. I tell them upfront and then its up to them.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 6:46 pm
I try not to get one that lives too far away. Dh usually picks them up and drives them home. If he can't I pay for a car service. If they don't mind comming without transportation then good for you, ask them if they can come on their own.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:53 pm
funny, I was thinking of starting a thread complaining about being expected to drive dd to babysitting jobs.

Quote:

and they always offer to ask their parents.

just find out from the parent yourself.

I dont mind occasionally, especially if there is no dh to pick up, however, y should I have to go out, just becuz s/o is too busy/cant pick up? And dd keeps offering to get there herself and then tries to guilt me into driving her.

Rivky

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:03 pm
I just recently had a babysitter myself. I don't see why they have to be driven (obviously if they live too far that's a must). If you get a sitter that lives close by, why the driving? I babysat plenty and no one every brought me or took me home. I knew it was part of the deal.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:13 pm
shanie5 wrote:
funny, I was thinking of starting a thread complaining about being expected to drive dd to babysitting jobs.

Quote:

and they always offer to ask their parents.

just find out from the parent yourself.

I dont mind occasionally, especially if there is no dh to pick up, however, y should I have to go out, just becuz s/o is too busy/cant pick up? And dd keeps offering to get there herself and then tries to guilt me into driving her.

I don't think it's my responsibility to ascertain from the parent whether it's ok. That's between you and your daughter, not you and your daughter's employer. Presumably you would drive your daughter not to help me but to help your daughter, assuming she is getting paid. If you don't want to drive your daughter then you should have her call them back and tell them that she can't do it because she doesn't have a ride. That'll teach her fast.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:34 pm
Yeah, I do that-I just hate the guilt trip she gives me. also, there was one time that I drove her-because they couldnt- and then they wanted s/t from my house, so they drove her here to pick it up-why could they do it now and not before?

I would prefer if they ask dd to ask me if I could-rather than waiting till its time to get there and assuming I will be the good mommy and help out.

as for walking-I do not want her walking around so late at nite. if it is daytime-fine-but not after dark.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:36 pm
I used to use a family for babysitting who lived through my backyard & 2 houses down. I had spoken to the mother about my watching them walk home. She would watch from her house.Ofcourse she wanted her kids to have the job but it was up to her if she wanted to help me out.It is expected & accepted practice to pick up & drop off babysitters, so if there are any other arraingments to be made it should be done by the affect parties ie: the parents.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:42 pm
shanie5 wrote:

I would prefer if they ask dd to ask me if I could-rather than waiting till its time to get there and assuming I will be the good mommy and help out.

If someone tells me their mother can drive them I assume they asked their mother. I would feel really uncomfortable treating the babysitter like a child. Again, that's a mother-daughter issue that has nothing to do with the employer.

(Thankfully I now have babysitters across the street and right next door so I don't have this issue much anymore.)

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 10:47 pm
cassandra wrote:
shanie5 wrote:

If someone tells me their mother can drive them I assume they asked their mother. I would feel really uncomfortable treating the babysitter like a child. Again, that's a mother-daughter issue that has nothing to do with the employer.

(Thankfully I now have babysitters across the street and right next door so I don't have this issue much anymore.)

I have learned the hard way that my kids assume I will do everything-w/o asking me. Most kids seem to think their parents are there for them alone. I dont disagree w/ you about it not being your obligation to make sure they spoke w/ their parent. however, if a babysitter is told they have to get to u on their own, and the parents wont drive (when asked at last minute) then isn't it u who will get stuck w/o a babysitter?

Ima2

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 1:23 am
I have learned the hard way that my kids assume I will do everything-w/o asking me. Most kids seem to think their parents are there for them alone. I dont disagree w/ you about it not being your obligation to make sure they spoke w/ their parent. however, if a babysitter is told they have to get to u on their own, and the parents wont drive (when asked at last minute) then isn't it u who will get stuck w/o a babysitter?[/quote]

True. I have had a babysitter who told me that she can babyit even when I told ehr that I can't pick up/drop off. When I came home, she hadn't found someone to pick her up from my apt so she had to call her parents at 10:30pm to come pick her up. I mean, that was total poor planning on the child's part-she comes from a family that is very laid back and anything goes...not very organized pple. I felt really bad, but I couldn't leave my kids sleeping and drive her home. She knew that a few days before! Most of the time, though, when I tell the babysitter that I can't pick up/drop off, I hear them ask their parents right then and there. I just feel a little uncomfortable doing that b/c I feel like it's not fair to the babysitter's parents even if they asked them in advance and even if it is just a 5 min drive.

Marion

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 3:05 am
Some of my sitters are walking distance, some are not. DH doesn't drive, and until recently we did not have a car. I will provide cab fare home (after dark) for all my sitters who live too far to walk. If they have to come to me in the dark, same thing. If they come during daylight, they're usually coming straight from school, and then it's a short walk anyway. Yes, to me there's a difference between daylight and after dark.

Basically, I try to treat a sitter the way I would want to be treated if I was taking care of someone's most prized "possessions".

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 3:17 am
When I used to babysit usually I walked there, or sometimes my parents dropped me off. The family drove me home though, pretty much always. I think if the parents know up front it's fine, but I would make sure you ask the parents and not just the girl because the parents might mind, but feel then they are obligated since dd already took the job.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 7:31 am
I don't think there is anything rude with not providing transportation for your sitter. You said you can't - so that's the situation you have to work with. I would of course certainly make every effort to find a sitter who drives though, since you otherwise risk a situation where a girl has said she would come and then nobody is around to or wants to drive her and you end up with no sitter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette