Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
New Job for Husband, want advice

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 3:04 pm
My husband has been job searching for 18 months now, after he got his certification he had a few job options and after the interviews they said "we'll call you back" or "we are not hiring right now"
so 18 months down the line and amny more interviews and blind promises we've been making do with side jobs and living with his parents,
now recently quite a few options have come up and we have followed them all through, down to 2 last options for now
1: move an hour away and work for an exisiting company (commition)
2: work for a company only opening in a couple of months and work on commision but be a 30% owner too,.
pluses for 1 is its established and can start now
pluses for 2 he can really go more places in hte long run and possibly make more money if the business takes off really well
I like option one he likes option 2
anyone else been in a similar position??? what would any of you do?
I don't want my hubby to turn down the job bc we need to move into our own place fast and also if he doesnt take tihs "proper" job my family will think he's turning down a gr8 option and think he's a bum. I have a gr8 family but they'd prefer to see more of an income and him trying harder, they dont understnad the market and how hard we are trying. we looked outo f town and travelled 8 hrs for an interview and were going to move to a hicktown for parnassa but they turned us down pretty much last minute, he's a freshie in the business and they want a "master" well they have to get experience somehow

sorry ofr such a long post I am venting and kind of asking for advice
my mashpia was unavailable right now I'll call her again later

proudmom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 3:25 pm
Did you try monster.com , your hubby might find something there.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 3:35 pm
What about you, are you working?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 6:40 pm
he doesnt really want me to work, I work sundays in hebrew school and I sub in hte local school every so often, but I have 2 kids to take care of

MOM222

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 6:46 pm
If your kids are still young I would go with option number 2

If that doesn't work out in a year you could look for a different thing.

When you are older and have a lot more expenses you have no option and have to go with a job that gives you an income all the time.

I also wouldn't want to take the responsibility that in 5 years from now your husband will say I should have gone with the new company look how much they grew.

stem

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 9:20 pm
I would go with #2. I feel strongly that if we don't take chances in life we'll lose out on so much. What's the worst that could happen? the company will flop and he'll be where you are now. Meanwhile he'll be getting much needed experience, and might even be able to start another business on his own one day. Plus, you won't have to move away, and his job starts now, I don't see any downside!
Do you have a guarentee that if you move an hour away and he starts that job which only pays comission that it will work out? What if it doesn't? Moving is expensive! I would definitely try to stay put while he tries out this new business. You never know what could come out of it.

happymom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 9:22 pm
Quote:
he doesnt really want me to work, I work sundays in hebrew school and I sub in hte local school every so often, but I have 2 kids to take care of

its nice to hear that he is supportive of you staying home with your children Smile!

red sea

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 9:34 pm
amother - what feild? it makes a difference. also people with experience in that job market can give an educated opinion.

My stock opinion from what you've written, I'll answer according to a vague feeling of e.s.p. saying you're talking about computer type of feild ( I'm totally wrong - right? ) #1 sounds like an awful job but a job, #2 sounds like there is plenty of chance this co will either go nowhere or make you real comfortable financially. Your best option is job #3 - a good one that has not materialized yet. I would make it a priority to move out of his parents house, and remember that jobs don't own you, especially jobs that are not really good, so don't fear accepting one if you're so inclined and when a good one comes along just don't hesitate to dump the first one.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 3:10 pm
hi guys I was the amother but now tihngs are figured out I dont mind not being as anonymous.
#2 his partner didnt like the idea of them not being 50-50 so theres no way we can go for it
#1 really wants him and he AGREED bh, phew
iyh he starts Tuesday
my hubby is a jeweler and the economy is prettyl ow around here unfrotunately
he's gonig to commute til pesach time and we'll c from there
BH BH BH
taken many monthso f patience but bh iyh we'll have our own home after pesach
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics