Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Has anyone done Jazzercise ?
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 1:15 pm
I see it's "back" and sounds like fun. Anyone have experience with it ?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 1:24 pm
not since I was in 1st grade....over 20 yrs ago.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 2:21 pm
can you tell me what you remember about it ?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 2:22 pm
My classmate's mother was the instructor. I had fun dancing or hopping or whatever it was we did. More fun than more structured aerobics...1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8...

maybe there was some counting. the only thing was, I think it was popular music. maybe I am misremembering. I don't know that I'd want to exercise to popular music these days (both bc I have different standards and music is....different too)

ganizzy

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 3:14 pm
my sister took it and she liked it. but I dont know details

sky

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 3:50 pm
I took it about 4 years ago. And loved it. We had a fun instructor and it was a ton of non-stop moving but was more like dancing then working out. She reused the same music and steps a lot and the moves were very correocraft to the music so if you took her class often you knew what to do once the music came on.

I don't know if all jazzercize classes are like this but the one I went to was about 70% cardio and 30% toning which I also liked. because after the hard workout we targeted our stomachs, thighs, and tushes.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 3:53 pm
I looked into it because it looks like fun and the whole retro thing amuses me...but the only classes in my area are in churches (and even if I was told it was mutar to go I wouldn't feel comfortable.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 6:15 pm
cassandra wrote:
I looked into it because it looks like fun and the whole retro thing amuses me...but the only classes in my area are in churches (and even if I was told it was mutar to go I wouldn't feel comfortable.)

the one I am thinking about is in a mixed gym, and it's not that comfortable to exercise fully clothed and with a sheital too. it's possible the class will turn out to be women only but I don't know for sure.

oh, and a sample class is $20 !!!!

ettasarah

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 6:36 pm
I have been taking Jazzercise for almost 2 years, and I enjoy it. The instructors talk you through the exercises while you do them to all kinds of modern music. They tell you when to breathe, hold in your stomach, tighten this or that muscle, so you really get the most benefit from the exercise, which I find very helpful. It is a womens only class. All the instructors are very professional. Only one of the instructors sometimes makes inappropriate comments, which I reported. It's definitely not a frum environment, but I take from it what I need, and leave the rest behind.

imaamy

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 8:39 pm
The nice thing is that about every 10 weeks they change the music and routines so you don't get bored. Each song goes with a particular routine. They definitely use the music that is popular at the time, but they use "clean" versions of the dirty songs. It is rather expensive for what it is since you can only workout at the times of the classes versus a gym where you can take classes or use machines. Also every one I've been to is open to men although few join.

mimivan

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 9:30 pm
Maybe OP might be looking fr something more formal...
but I am desperate to get back in shape and can't afford gym membership...
so this morning, just for the heck of it, I turned on some Fried and just jumped around and did aerobics-style jumps and twists for about 20 minutes...and b'h I really feel terrific!

Just to say, I think it can be done without going to a gym or classes...at least just to get back to basic fitness.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:01 am
chocolate moose wrote:
cassandra wrote:

the one I am thinking about is in a mixed gym, and it's not that comfortable to exercise fully clothed and with a sheital too. it's possible the class will turn out to be women only but I don't know for sure.

oh, and a sample class is $20 !!!!

I would think it would be hard to do dressed. There is a lot of leg kicking. You can try it - but from what I remember I think it would be hard

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:35 am
I did Jazzercise all summer and loved it! It's tons of fun, and the pther women were very friendly and laid back. I looked forward to going every evening.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:50 am
There's a woman's only gym in NY, between Boro Park and Flatbush, and I think they offer Jazzercize.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 5:56 am
I did it for a few months (in NJ) before I was married and loved it! It was fun and I really got my body into shape. The only thing I regret is not having found it sooner. When we got married and moved to Crown Heights, there wasn't anything close by. (or they were all in churches) I'm still thinking about going to the one here in Argentina once I give birth.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 6:35 am
mimivan wrote:

Just to say, I think it can be done without going to a gym or classes...at least just to get back to basic fitness.

I think very few people are disciplined enough to work out at home. It's always easy to find excuses and there are lots of distractions when you're home. Also, many people don't realize how hard they SHOULD be working until they work out with a trainer or group class. When you're working out alone it's very easy to stop when you get tired, or the moment your heart rate actually goes up.

CM, you should look into Zumba as well. You can burn up too 700 calories and it's a lot of fun. The hour flies by for me. I've never had so much fun at a class.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 6:41 am
DefyGravity wrote:
mimivan wrote:

I think very few people are disciplined enough to work out at home. It's always easy to find excuses and there are lots of distractions when you're home. Also, many people don't realize how hard they SHOULD be working until they work out with a trainer or group class. When you're working out alone it's very easy to stop when you get tired, or the moment your heart rate actually goes up.

CM, you should look into Zumba as well. You can burn up too 700 calories and it's a lot of fun. The hour flies by for me. I've never had so much fun at a class.

better some not so good exercise at home then in a gym, which I never have time to go to.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:15 am
I exercise 6 mornings a week and I go on the bike at night. I have no problem exercising by myse, but I miss the class environment.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:20 pm
I went to a class in Monticello NY over the summer and didn't like it. I guess I'm not into classes. I prefer doing cardio and weight lifting on my own but everyone else there was having a blast, besides my DH is a certified personal trainer so I go to the gym with him.

willow

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:54 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I exercise 6 mornings a week and I go on the bike at night. I have no problem exercising by myse, but I miss the class environment.

ditto
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise