Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup
1  2  3  4  Next

Didi

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:00 pm
I have been married KA"H for almost 9yrs and for some reason my chicken soup is always a flop. Does anyone have an easy easy recipe for chicken soup. You must be specific with ingredients so I won't botch it up. I have attempted to make chicken soup 5 times and my husband asked me to just go to my mother for a jar and not bother anymore. I told him I want to give it one last chance. Thanks for all your help.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:07 pm
take your chicken and boil it for an hour or two (for me it just depends on when I am putting it up). Than take carrots, celery, sweet potato, zucchini, and onion (I put the onion in whole, just peal a few layers off first). Spices, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and the key ingrediant dill seed (I don't like fresh dill personally and I think the seed gives it a slightly stronger taste). I just put a bunch in and let it simmer for like 2 or so more hours (don't let the water boil to hard that you can't do it with a top on or the water will disappear).

yum yum. It is finally cold enough that I can make soup again!

Sara

Didi

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:11 pm
thanks, how much chicken, how much water, and how big of a pot are u using. I told you that type of recipe I will botch up big time if it is not spelt out for me.

Thanks again

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:14 pm
I put in I think two pieces of chicken, sometimes more. depends on how much chicken I have. I use a big soup pot. I fill it prob 3/4 full of water. celery-one head, carrots- half a big bag of baby carrots or a while small one, sweet potato- one, cut into like 5 pieces or so, 1 onion, and about 3 zucchini. Depends on who is coming that week (I put in more when I know I am not the only one who wants Smile ). dill seed- a bunch (maybe a tsp full). everything else really is to taste.

Sara

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:24 pm
Quote:
and for some reason my chicken soup is always a flop
I have that with my cabbage rolls don't worry.
Listen the key to it is NOT so much the chicken but the vegtables and if you cut like Zun says all Vegtables your husband likes, onions, sweet potatoe, turnips, carrots and celery bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 even 3 hrs (Books won't tell you that) but I can promise you the taste is like Heaven, people will come back for more! Also if you ever get tight on money like I do you can use chicken consoume'e with all that veg and promise it will still taste delicous.
I find then very little seasoning is needed if it ever tastes too salty add a couple potatoes or barley. Hatzlacha

pss. I am hopeless with amounts I never measure just plonk and ascess and ofcourse am always the cheif taster:!:

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 7:17 pm
some people like chicken necks, wings, pupiks (giblets) in the soup

I use an 8 qt. pot, half-full with pieces of chicken or necks etc.

fill pot with water till almost the top

vegetables optional: carrots, onions, parsnip, celery

3 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper

you can add dill and parsley (Gush Katif has bug-free)

there's also a bottle of dehydrated veg. you can buy to add to the soup, you can find it probably in the spices section

Sunshine

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 8:18 pm
One thing I noticed is that when I make matza balls in the chicken soup it gives the soup an even better flavor.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 8:39 pm
kneidlach do make the soup taste better!
a money saving tip: if no one eats the chicken from the soup, skip the chicken pieces, and use chicken bones!!! I buy a huge pack of them and they are so cheap! it tastes just as good! and theres no fat in the soup from the chicken. if you ever cut the chicken off the bones for schnitzel or something, dont throw out the bones! you can freeze them too, until you need them.

I make a simple small soup:
1 chicken bone (it comes in the package as the "carcass" of the chicken)
1 onion
1/2 sweet potato
3 carrots
1/2 zucchini
salt
boil it up, simmer for 3 hours or so, add kneidlach.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 9:58 pm
RG, I also use chicken bone, or sometimes beef or veal bone, plus a gorgel( the neck) plus vegies, salt and pepper. and it comes out realy good.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 11:34 pm
I use bone too sometimes. but one night during the week we usually have the soup as dinner (whatever is leftover) so I like it meaty for that.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 1:18 am
I'm with sarah.. dinner thursday is chicken soup with lots of chicken. and then the rest of the soup I use on shabbos.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:26 pm
Two things you can do with the chicken after you cook it in the soup is you can take it out and bake it for 20-30 min uncovered so it doesn't taste like waterlogged boiled chicken. My husband at first was scared to try it and now he clames it is the juiciest and most moist chicken ever! He loves it like that! Or, another thing you can do is cut up the chicken and make chicken pot pie or fry the chicken with veggies and make a gravy and serve it with rice. Almost like chinese food or curried chicken.

Chanie

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:26 pm
I make my soup friday morning and let it cook all day till time to eat it. I find that the longer it cooks the better it tastes. We usually eat the left oves sunday night for supper and it's even more flavorful then.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 2:32 pm
I make my soup almost the same way as RG. I use the chicken bones from the package. and add carrots, sweet potatoe, zuccini.
then I scatter salt across the top. (thats how I measure my salt. I make a layer of salt across the whole surface of the water. if its a tall pot then 2 layers. )
add onion powder, (half the amount of the salt)
and let cook till shabbos starts.

thebestmommy

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 2:46 pm
This is what I do with my extra chicken from the soup:

Saute onions, canned mushrooms, sliced celery, and green pepper in a frying pan till it gets brownish. (you can also put in baby corn.)

Add the chicken with a little bit of chicken soup.

Add spices (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder)

You can also serve it with chow mein noodles on top, for a crunchy taste.

It is YUM. And this way the chiken doesn't go to waste.

Didi

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 4:44 pm
Well I bought all the ingredients, now I just have to find some time to make it. I will let you all know how it comes out

Didi

Post Sat, Dec 18 2004, 6:34 pm
So the chicken soup was a flop. My husband said it was missing something, he then told me to continue to get a jar from my mother every friday and not to bother trying again.

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 12:03 pm
Didi, why dont you write step by step what you do- that is if you have the time....
there must be a step youre missing somewhere...
or it could be that it takes time to finally get it right...
it took me almost 2 years to get it right, and guess what.. this past friday night I messed up on the chicken soup too..
suggestion: why doesnt your husband make the soup? tell him how and see how it goes.... he might be very good at it... Very Happy

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 12:25 pm
Quote:
why doesnt your husband make the soup?

Thats what I do now with my cholent and everyone runs to him for seconds Very Happy

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 2:43 pm
As for my husband making the soup, he would rather eat my Mothers than have to make me patchka. But seriously he works crazy hours 16 hour shifts almost every day so he really has no time for the soup. He does make amazing bufflo wings.

The Chulent is my specialty. I don't think he would know how to make it if he tried.

Maybe it is because I take the skin off the chicken, maybe I should leave it on............
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics