Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 5:01 pm
Didi - do you want to try again, another recipe? This is my mother's recipe and it makes the best soup ever.

You take an eighth of chicken (preferably bottoms) for each person. One carrot and one stalk of celery per person, one whole medium onion and a clove of garlic for every four portions, likewise a medium petrushka (parsley root) and maybe half a parsnip. You could also put in some celery root if you find any in the shop. Add a glass of water per portion plus one or two more "for the pot". Bring the water and vegetables to a slow simmer and cook for about 20 minutes and then add the chicken. Keep at a low simmer (if you let the soup boil, it'll turn cloudy.) Half an hour later add one zucchini and a bit later add lots of dill and parsley. If you can't get Gush Katif, you can use regular herbs and put them in a garni bag (or a light colored knee-hi, shh, don't tell anyone). It gives less taste, but still some. Also don't forget salt and pepper to taste. Don't overcook the soup. Ideally, it should be just barely cooked when Shabbos begins so that it can cook a bit more until the seuda. The idea is for it to have a light yet rich taste. When serving, be careful not to dig around too much in the pot, or you'll break apart the vegetables and then the soup will become cloudy.

Try it! My mother is a Hungarian cook - no better cooks around!

Motek

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 5:22 pm
sounds good, but I thought the longer a chicken soup cooks, the better?

and Didi - cook it with the skin on
after it cools off, and you refrigerate it, you will be able to skim off the fat

that's if you make the soup in advance, of course Smile

dina

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 7:41 pm
I actually let the chicken boil first, then I spill out the water and add new water (makes it lower in fat), and only then do I add the vegetables. I cut up all the vegetables (onion, zuchinni, sweet potato, carrots), add salt, pepper and dried parsley. Let it cook for 2-3 hours. Delicious.

proudmom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 7:44 pm
I do the same thing Dina.

Didi

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 9:44 pm
OK maybe after I finish the flopped soup that is in the fridge, maybe I will try again. thanks again for all your help

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 10:19 pm
I didn't know you could ruin chicken soup. Whats so bad about your soup? Is it too salty, too watery or oily. Maybe your soup isn't a flop but just different from you moms.

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 21 2004, 6:27 am
Motek wrote:
sounds good, but I thought the longer a chicken soup cooks, the better?

Not if you want a "gyenge leves", which means delicate soup (in Hungarian). If you put in enough chicken, you get a rich great taste, without the heaviness that comes from overcooking it. Also, the chicken and vegetables are really good - juicy, not falling apart. We're not talking chulent here, after all.

Quote:
and Didi - cook it with the skin on, after it cools off, and you refrigerate it, you will be able to skim off the fat

that's if you make the soup in advance, of course Smile

Definitely with the skin on. You can skim the soup while it's cooking. It takes a bit more effort, but you get delicious fresh soup (not rewarmed) with almost no fat.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 11:29 am
so you think that reheated soup is not as good?

I find that often soup improves with age! Maybe not chicken soup?

what's the secret to a clear (not cloudy) bowl of chicken soup? just not boiling?

and another question: do matzo balls (kneidlach) freeze well in the soup?

and sarahd - what are you doing with the celery, carrot, zucchini - dicing them? chunks?

and what about dill and parsley from bottles of spices?

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 11:36 am
Motek, by me the matzah balls freeze well in the soup.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 12:58 pm
Motek wrote:
so you think that reheated soup is not as good?

I find that often soup improves with age! Maybe not chicken soup?

Nope, not chicken soup. We always forced my mother to make fresh chicken soup every Friday. There really is nothing like her soup.

Quote:
what's the secret to a clear (not cloudy) bowl of chicken soup? just not boiling?

Basically, yes. Also, leaving all the vegetables whole.

Quote:
and another question: do matzo balls (kneidlach) freeze well in the soup?

If you're freezing soup, you can freeze the matzo balls with them. BTW, don't cook them originally in the soup - that will also cloud the soup. I cook mine in plain salted water.

Quote:
and sarahd - what are you doing with the celery, carrot, zucchini - dicing them? chunks?

See above - I peel what can be peeled and leave them all whole.

Quote:
and what about dill and parsley from bottles of spices?

Big no-no. Only fresh ingredients. Better to leave it out than use dried.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:41 pm
Quote:
Better to leave it out than use dried.

really? why?

Quote:
a bit later add lots of dill and parsley

if using Gush Katif - how much out of a package would you use and then, do you serve it with the green stuff floating around?

and thanks for all your info. Smile

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 1:57 pm
Motek wrote:
Quote:
Better to leave it out than use dried.

really? why?

Because the taste is different. Also, you end up with green specks floating around.

Quote:
Quote:
a bit later add lots of dill and parsley

if using Gush Katif - how much out of a package would you use and then, do you serve it with the green stuff floating around?

and thanks for all your info. Smile

How does the Gush Katif stuff come in your community? Some places it comes in a big bag and in others it comes in a small plastic box. Also, obviously, it depends how much soup you're making. For soup for four people, take a bunch about half as thick as your thumb of each. Try to avoid serving it with the soup. Although, once I forgot to put in the dill when cooking the soup, and my guests suggested that I chop it and put it in raw. It was really good, but then again I love dill in any shape or form.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 2:25 pm
it comes in small plastic boxes

what can you do with leftover dill and parsley? how long does it last in the fridge?

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:03 pm
I use dry and it comes out fine! In fact I use dill seed and not dill. I like it better that way. My husband loves my soup and my mil was here last year and is still talking about it. She can't wait to come in three weeks to have soup! LOL!

Motek... when I get fresh dill I use it for salmon. This is what I do...

dill (chopped fine), lemon juice, mayo mix. Take your salmon and cut it into pieces. Take puff pastry and put a bit of the mayo mixture down. Put salmon on top. put some more mayo. Close up pastry. Bake at like 425 (I think) until puffy and brown.

Sometimes I make it for Shabbos when I am going all fancy.

sara

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:14 pm
or skip the fancy puff dough and simply pour lemon juice on the salmon and sprinke with the dill and some salt. easy quick and delicious!!

cy

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 4:28 pm
my mother puts turkey necks into her soup, its supposed to add flavor.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 4:36 pm
You can use parsley in some salads. I use mine in chick pea salad; if you want the recipe I can give it to you. You can use dill in vegetable soups too.

CS

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 8:41 am
I personally find that my chicken soup has way more flavor when I use just bones - and lots of them - I usually have at least 1/2 a pot of bones.

One of the best chicken soups I had was made by a man who put his chicken in the water and put the pot in the oven overnight. he added veggies the next day - it was a very full bodied soup. I've done it a few times myself, and it always comes out yummy.

Didi if your mom makes such good soup, why don't you go over and watch your mom making soup - then your husband will have it just the way he likes it?

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 8:05 pm
CS- I have and it still is a no go.

B""H she only lives 4 blocks away, so picking up soup is not an issue erev shabbat. And my daughter actually enjoy's that she is getting Bubbies soup on friday night.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 1:34 am
What do you put in your chicken soup recipe? I realized everyone has just the slightest variation, but it ends up making the soup taste so different- everyone's chicken soup is special to their family- I've never tasted two of the same chicken soup.

Whats in yours including veggies, seasoning, etc?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics