Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

batya_d

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:41 pm
There was a great thread on exactly this a while ago...

The search function here isn't the best, but if you browse around the cooking section I think you'll find the long chicken soup thread. I enjoyed reading what everyone else puts in!

My newest discovery-- beets in the chicken soup! If you use small ones and leave them whole they don't turn the soup bright red, and it gives a nice golden color and sweetness. I love adding any and all root vegetables-- carrot, turnips, parsnips, beets, petrushka (celeriac? celery root?)

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 11:18 pm
Why are people so into the "there was a thread on this already". What if people changed what they do? Or pashut don't read an old thread that was newly commented on. Or what about the new members...

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 11:48 pm
I don't do this bec it makes the soup messy, but one of the best soup I've tasted (my sil) has dill in it. also, you need to put lots and lots of salt. and chicken with the skin on.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 11:52 pm
I like messy soup! Whenever I go to someone's house and they serve a clear broth, I get this picture in my head that they're really poor and that's all that they can afford...

HindaRochel

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 11:59 pm
Some people just don't like veggies etc. in the soup.
Me onion, zucchini, tomato, sweet potatoe or pumpkin, carrots, celery, potatoes--all or some of the above. Sometimes parsley and or dill, sometimes a bay leaf, chicken necks or turkey necks, and lots of time. I cook the soup all day.

Mishie

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 2:01 am
OK! I found the thread for you. It's called: "What do you put in your Chicken Soup??"

Here it is: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....7d1d5

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 3:01 am
I put in flanken and marrow bones. It adds tons of flavoring. I also put garlic, dill and parsley in a bag, this way after the soup is cooked you can just throw it out. And by the way, my soup is a very clean soup and, no, we are not poor. My soup in an expensive soup.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 4:28 am
amother wrote:
I put in flanken and marrow bones. It adds tons of flavoring. I also put garlic, dill and parsley in a bag, this way after the soup is cooked you can just throw it out. And by the way, my soup is a very clean soup and, no, we are not poor. My soup in an expensive soup.

do you use the netted bags made for soup? also, do you b'davka use fatty pieces of flanken?

shoy18

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 5:17 am
I put wings, bones, and whole cut up chicken, and turky necks. And the usual veggies and a waxed rutabaga, and parsley I cant stand the smell of dill.

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 5:23 am
amother wrote:

SOUP WITH MEAT AND BONES CAN NOT BE CLEAR!IT IS VERY NOT CLEAR FROM ALL THE FAT!NO WAY IN THE WORLD THAT IT CAN BE CLEAR!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 5:29 am
breslov wrote:
Why are people so into the "there was a thread on this already". What if people changed what they do? Or pashut don't read an old thread that was newly commented on. Or what about the new members...

It was a huge thread with TONS of chicken recipes in it, it's definitely worthwhile to check it out.

Plus, many people (like me) have already posted their recipes and don't feel like reposting.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 5:37 am
Yum! Chicken soup! If you're the type that likes the soup clear but also loves dill in your soup, here's a way to accomplish this: After you have soaked and rinsed the dill, fold it up as small as you can and stuff it inside one of the veggies that you're putting in the soup. For example, you can add a red pepper to your soup. Clean it out but keep it whole and put your dill in there.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 5:44 am
Again, if you like clear soup, here's something I learned from my aunt: I pour boiling water over the chicken and bones and dump it out and THEN start making the soup. It takes off a lot of the goop that you see come to the top of your soup while it's cooking. But you still have to skim the top of the soup a little bit.

Breslov, your remark "I like messy soup" is so cute! I understand where you're coming from, but the reason I like it clear is because I feel like the goop has been removed. (Sorry, I don't know the real word for the "goop").

gryp

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 6:16 am
I add a drop of lemon juice to my soup Rolling Laughter because I read that it up's the calcium in the soup by 62%. Rolling Laughter Rolling Eyes

BP MOM

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:10 am
This is the recipe to my yummy chicken soup:

Chicken Bones
Water
2 tsp salt
1 tblsp osem chicken soup consomme
3 cloves crushed garlic
Bag of carrots
1 lrg squash
1 sweet potatoe
5 sticks celery
2 petershke
1 medium onion
Checked Dill from alei katif
Checked parsley from alei katif

I let it cook for about 4 hours on small flame (first on high flame till it boils)

I hope I didnt forget anything.

Its really yummy and flavorfull!!
always gets me lots of compliments!!!!

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:12 am
GR, any chance you might remember where you read about adding lemon to the soup to boost calcium absorption? Always looking for ways to prevent osteoporosis but I don't want to tell my daughter a bubamaisa that I can't be sure about otherwise my credibility for other things will be on the line Wink

gryp

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:17 am
From the Prevention magazine. embarrassed I read it at my in-law's. They also say you can rub vinegar over the bones in your meat cuts to bring out the calcium.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:30 am
Thank you, GR!

gryp

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:33 am
No prob. Smile I don't want to be the only wacko who adds lemon juice to chicken soup. Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:41 am
Here it is GR: From Prevention:
5. Stock Up on Calcium
If you're preparing homemade chicken soup, it's smart to add a hint of lemon juice, vinegar, or tomato to the mix. Pairing a slightly acidic broth with on-the-bone chicken can up the soup's calcium content by 64%, according to researchers at Harvard University and Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. (This stock dissolves the bone's calcium more easily than a nonacidic one would.)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics