Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you put up with this?

shosh

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 4:08 pm
This is a weird situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_.....5.stm

If you had a fussy eater in your home, what would you do? I mean, where did the intravenous come in? Has this kid become so dependent on the drip that now he can't get off? Why did they give him one in the first place? Something seems to have gone wrong here ...

How would you handle such a situation?

mimivan

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 4:33 pm
I don't know...it sounds like a completely abnormal situation to me..

I think he sounds beyond fussy..the fact he vomits when anything is fed to him shows its probably a very rare condition or something.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 6:57 pm
It’s 100% in his mind, difficult to diagnose but really a physical problem!

bluesclues

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 6:58 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
It’s 100% in his mind, difficult to diagnose but really a physical problem!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

do you know this for a fact?

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 7:01 pm
Well hellooooooo physical tests concluded nothing yet his brain tells him not to eat?

bluesclues

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 7:03 pm
I think they should look deeper it just doesnt make sense

Barbara

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 7:08 pm
shosh wrote:
This is a weird situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_.....5.stm

If you had a fussy eater in your home, what would you do? I mean, where did the intravenous come in? Has this kid become so dependent on the drip that now he can't get off? Why did they give him one in the first place? Something seems to have gone wrong here ...

How would you handle such a situation?

Well, mom and dad are highly unlikely to have done the medical procedure to place the tube in his stomach themselves, so it seems to me as if medical professionals clearly have been consulted and looked into the situation. The article also points out that the family has consulted with multiple physicians and mental health professionals.

In general, kids won't starve themselves; they'll eventually give in and eat at least enough to keep them going. While this child expresses the desire to eat, and apparently is hungry, for some physical or mental reason, he can't keep food down.

Maybe the parents made some small mistake at some point in the child's life, but don't all of us make mistakes? Rarely do they result in this sort of life-threatening behavior over which the child has no apparent control.

So I'd have to say I would do exactly what these people have done -- search everywhere and anywhere for an answer, while doing whatever I needed to keep my child alive and healthy in the interim.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:16 pm
the one thing a human has control over is what goes into their mouth ... obviously there is something bigger going on here ... why else do you think there are so many eating disorders in the world ... I don't much think the parents "put up with it" they have to be patient and deal with it very carefully or whatever they do can backfire ...

happymom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:07 pm
greenfire I aways like what you have to say when it comes to kids! seems like you really know alot about children and what works! I agree with u here

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:17 pm
happymom wrote:
greenfire I aways like what you have to say when it comes to kids! seems like you really know alot about children and what works! I agree with u here

thanx Mr. Green (how come it didn't get me too far irl)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:26 pm
there are kids who are very sensitive to different textures or touches - it's an OT thing. For example, some kids don't like tags on their clothing. Some don't like lumpy foods. This kids might just be VERY OVERLY sensitive....

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:03 pm
I know a couple who have a child like that, he is still young and sadly its totally psychological Sad

He controls his parents with his behavior and the mom is weak and cant be consistent at all. He can keep his food in his mouth for many hours and if forced to swallow he will throw up often he eventually spits the food out. He was also terrible chutzpadick for a little boy.

But they spent a Shabbat at my home and I am tough as nails.... I set down rules for my house and would not let him out of my kitchen with food in his mouth, and the boy, after testing me, showed respect to me (not his mom) and really turned around while I was there. His mom agreed that she sees how he would benefit from a stronger hold, but said she couldnt do it.

I hope things turn out well for them, but I am not sure they will. The longer it goes on the more ingrained it gets. This mom literally runs after the boy with a spoon in her hand... I would not be surprised if they turned to IVs next so they dont have to confront the real issue between mother and child.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 12:38 am
There is a program in Israel that works with children such as this. I remember reading an article about it in the Jpost. I don't have time now but I'll try and find the article later.

Maybe the kid could be brought to Israel and treated here.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 12:54 am
HindaRochel wrote:
There is a program in Israel that works with children such as this. I remember reading an article about it in the Jpost. I don't have time now but I'll try and find the article later.

Maybe the kid could be brought to Israel and treated here.

I was going to write the same thing. The article actually discussed weaning kids from a tube being used to feed "non eaters".

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 12:58 am
We have a picky eater, and sometimes we actually scare him by telling him that he'll have to go to the hospital with tubes and needles in his arm if he won't eat. This usually works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics