Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Nebraska...
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 6:48 pm
Anyone know anything abt the place?

DH just got offered a job in Hastings, NE....

DefyGravity

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 7:32 pm
The only Jewish community I know of in Nebraska is in Omaha. At this point, everone I know that lived there has moved out, and it no longer has what you'd call a community.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 7:56 pm
doing what? can we come along? We're badly in need of some solitude.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:01 pm
Hashgacha for shchita

Yea, it wud be us and like 10 other chassidishe families.
Really random, I kno, but ive never been to nebraska so its sorta exciting

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:54 pm
at ohama steaks ??? send some over ...

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:58 pm
[quote="greenfire"]at ohama steaks ??? send some over ...[/quote]

Omaha? Obama? You been hitting the Drunken Smile girl???

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:01 pm
hey I like obama ...

and about the Drunken Smile

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:05 pm
Well, my doctor told me I'm to stay off the sauce. Don't know why, I never touch it, I'm allergic to booze...really!! Confused Confused

Now valium...or chocolate Wink

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:09 pm
fine I'll send you some pink ones Drunken Smile Colors

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:16 pm
chocolate???

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:42 pm
ur hijacking my thread!

dainty diva

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:44 pm
that change will do you some good, ClaRivka!

Chani

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:45 pm
I was actually IN Hastings NE a few weeks ago. I travel to Nebraska for work once every couple of months or so. Hastings is about an hour away from Lincoln, which is a decent sized place and maybe two hours from Omaha, which has a nice frum community. Hastings/Grand Island is definitely small town America, but I must say that the people I meet professionally in Nebraska are absolutely the nicest folks. (And now I'll know who to hit up for a dinner invite the next time I go there! Very Happy )

Atali

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:49 pm
Do you know the other families who are going? You will need to make sure you get along with them or else it could be very difficult.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:46 pm
No, I dont know the other families.
The Nirbtater Ruv just decided to open a plant there so were thinking of it.

Chani- tell me more!

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:48 pm
bubby wrote:
chocolate???

I've heard of white chocolate - but pink - never ... fine I'll share the "mother's little helper" Twisted Evil

Chani

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:13 pm
Hastings and Grand Island are very close to each other - I'd guess that maybe it's about 75,000 total in the two towns. There's nothing for 60 miles in any direction except cows and corn. Shopping, honestly, it's about what you'd expect in a town that size - Walmart, I think I remember seeing a Home Depot, certainly big enough for several groceries, etc.. I'd be amazed if there's more than 20 Jews in the whole county. But, the non jews are very nice. Wholesome. And Lincoln isn't but an hour away, and there's good shopping there - a pretty nice upscale mall as well as other specialty shops. Lincoln, the state capital and home of U. of Nebraska, is a small city (around 250,000), which I personally like very much. BTW, Lincoln airport is much smaller than Omaha, but extremely quick and easy to get in and out of, so I'd recommend flying through there rather than Omaha whenever possible. I think that there is an imamother from Omaha who could certainly tell you much more than I can about the community there. As far as I know, there's no restaurant, but there is a grocery which carries many kosher items, including meat, cheese, etc.. Last I checked, there was a Chabad and also another orthodox shul there. I gather that there's a connection between a lot of the frum folks in Omaha to Chicago, e.g. lots of Omaha boys go to Skokie to yeshiva.

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:34 pm
Thanks Chani!

nothing for 60 miles! My dream! as long as ive got a walmart and a way to get kosher food im fine. (the nirbater will fly in whatever we need so im not worried abt it.)
A mikvah..do they have one in lincoln or will I have to go to omaha?
whats the housing like in the area?

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:36 pm
whoever is from Omaha, speak up!

Chani

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:52 pm
There's everything from new houses to older homes... you'll definitely get a nice house for the money compared with most cities. Here's a 5 bedroom 4 bath house for $180k that looks very nice: http://www.realtor.com/search/.....sn=34
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating