Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Online Shabbos clothes
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 6:47 am
For weekday clothes I do well with Lands End because:

the quality is good - better than Old Navy
my size - 14 - is always the same in all their clothes
I can find very tzniusdik things (collars, loose fitting, long sleeves, long skirts)

So where can I find a similar site for Shabbos clothes? Must meet all the above conditions.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 8:09 am
amother wrote:
For weekday clothes I do well with Lands End because:

the quality is good - better than Old Navy
my size - 14 - is always the same in all their clothes
I can find very tzniusdik things (collars, loose fitting, long sleeves, long skirts)

So where can I find a similar site for Shabbos clothes? Must meet all the above conditions.

Coldwater Creek? Chicos? Talbots? J Jill?

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 9:38 am
Banana Republic has very stylish shabbosdik clothes, but I don't know if they carry plus sizes.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 9:41 am
14 isn't a plus size!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 10:32 am
What kind of style are you looking for, OP? Are you looking for suits??

I think Coldwater Creek might be good if you wear those styles.
Lane Bryant starts at size 14, you can see if you like their stuff.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 12:06 pm
I'm the OP. Big sigh. Part of my problem is that I have not figured out a personal style for Shabbos. I looked at those sites and found maybe one item I like from each company. I can't seem to figure out if an article of clothing will be too tight, or see through, or have shatnez. The clothes I like are the costlier ones. It took me a while to figure out what weekday Lands End styles work for me, but now I know. However I can't afford to experiment at this time. Guess I'll have stick to trying on things at stores. Somehow my Shabbos and simcha clothes usually end up getting donated to a gemach.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 6:29 pm
At Macy's you have like thousands of styles... try .

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
14 isn't a plus size!

It depends on the brand. Some brands start Plus at size 12. There is sometimes overlap. Eg, Talbots has a size 12 women's (plus), but also goes up to a 16 in its regular sizes.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 8:25 pm
newport-news.com

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 2:00 am
Oooh I love newport-news! Overstock.com also has some nice stuff now and then. As Shaklee said, Macys also has a generous selection.

I buy so much online (as opposed to in-store). Things always seem to fit me the same way, even shoes. I can tell buy looking at an item how it will look on me.
However, OP, it seems that you have a lot of questions and concerns when ordering clothing online and therefore it would seem that your only options are to go down to an actual store, or to make sure that you're ordering from a site with a comprehensive and user-friendly return procedure.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 6:27 am
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
14 isn't a plus size!

It depends on the brand. Some brands start Plus at size 12. There is sometimes overlap. Eg, Talbots has a size 12 women's (plus), but also goes up to a 16 in its regular sizes.

most shops I've been to go up to 14. I am a 12/14 american and I have no problem finding my size in regular stores, although in one shop (zara) I was the biggest size. lots of women are 14, why would clohting companies lose half thier customer base?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 6:30 am
for shabbos I usually wear long pretty skirts with a shell and maybe a cardigan or sweater or something on top. since ive got kids I need to have something washable.

momaleh

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 7:03 am
Talbots.com

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 7:07 pm
nice sweater

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:24 pm
OP writing. I hope you're kidding, Shaklee. Nice sweater? Where's the rest of it? Layering with a shell underneath would bunch it up. And only thin women can wear that clingy thing. At least that's what it seems like from the photo.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 8:26 am
I think it would look good.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
OP writing. I hope you're kidding, Shaklee. Nice sweater? Where's the rest of it? Layering with a shell underneath would bunch it up. And only thin women can wear that clingy thing. At least that's what it seems like from the photo.

I'm not a fan of the boob-bow, but the model is already wearing a cami under the sweater; you could easily wear a higher-necked shell instead.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 8:56 am
Try:

http://www.junees.com/category.php?id=1 - the shells are especially useful to make other tops, including nicer jackets/sweaters/vests tznius. Personally, I find nice vests (I have some lace ones) over shells to be a really nice Shabbos look, and it can be VERY slimming.

I tend to find that frum sources are actually more flattering that others, because stores like Sears tend to reserve modest styles for the elderly/frumpy crowd.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:43 pm
I've gotten some loosefitting, conservative dresses at vermontcountrystore.com

Their clothing runs large.

Also try Appleseeds.com, orvis.com (nice but pricey), and togshop.com.

LeahRivka

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:09 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I've gotten some loosefitting, conservative dresses at vermontcountrystore.com

Their clothing runs large.

Also try Appleseeds.com, orvis.com (nice but pricey), and togshop.com.

Thank you for those store names. These were some I have not heard of before.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics