Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pediatrician in Cleveland

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:27 pm
I started a thread about what to look for in a pediatrician and what questions to ask. I got replies for that, but I also looking for recommendations for pediatricians in Cleveland.

I asked around town and got three names and some info on them: Garber, Senders (the whole practice) and Worthington. Does anyone know of any more that they like? Or some info on these?

Thanks

Chani

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:39 pm
I use Shelly Senders (and Doug Fleck in his office also), and like them very much. I especially appreciate the Sunday / evening hours since I work. The office staff are nice, and I have heard from multiple physician friends that Shelly Senders is an outstanding pediatrician. One of my kids had a health issue which required frequent monitoring for a few months, and Dr. Senders was fabulous - very responsive and very supportive.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:39 pm
I've been to quite a few and Rachel Garber is the best by far !!! Thumbs Up

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:11 am
I use Dr. Garber and she is great! Very kind, humble, conscientious, caring. Nice frum office staff too.

I live in Cleveland Heights (where Dr. Garber does), and I have brought my sick children to her house on Shabbos many, many times when I was worried. She is always happy to examine them and offer advice, and she doesn't make you feel like you're imposing. During the week you can call her at home after office hours if you're worried about your kid's symptoms. She has also been a comforting, welcome presence when my kids have been hospitalized for various reasons. She does rounds at Rainbow very early and always makes worried parents feel better. In short--a wonderful, kind doctor who does a tremendous amount of chesed for the community.

Also nice: a lot of people in the frum community go to her, so you'll see tons of people you know in the waiting room. It's usually a good place to chap a shmooze. :-)

Dr. Senders is also well thought of. From what I hear, Dr. Senders is a good choice if you are the type of mother who likes a lot of handholding and advice. He has a big practice with lots of NPs etc. They run parenting seminars, send out newsletters, that sort of thing. It's a much more entrepreneurial type practice than Dr. Garber's (which is a much simpler, one-physician, one-NP practice). He has a website: www.drsenders.com. I think they have extended hours.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:15 am
P.S. I hope my "handholding and advice" comment didn't sound negative. I didn't mean it negatively at all!

Chani

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 6:10 am
That's funny - I really like him, but I am definitely not the "handholding and advice" kind of gal. I like the fact that he talks to me like intelligent human being and in depth about the children's health problems rather than being condescending as some doctors are. I do know Rachel Garber personally, though, and agree that she is a very fine person, just her office hours were too limited to work for us.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 5:52 pm
Dr. Garber sounds like a great dr., but actually the fact that her office is all frum and most of the community goes there- is not my cup of tea. I don't really want to go in to the dr.'s office and see other ppl that I know. I'd rather it be a medical visit, not a social call...

Can anyone answer me regarding Dr. Sender's office: are the doctors there (Dr. Senders isn't taking new patients right now) very pro vaccines and medications and stuff like that? Or are they inclined to listen to the parents' preferences?

Thanks

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 6:33 pm
there are pros & cons to everything ... and both offices are filled with people you're gonna know - sooner or later ...

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 7:03 am
As a kid I went to Dr Rosenthal in Hillcrest Medical building. Maybe a bit too far for you, but he was really sweet, and a frum yid too. When I got too old for a male doctor, I switched to Dr Elizabeth Hellerstein in Green Road Pediatrics- somewhere on Green Road, but further down green road (in the direction of south euclid) than the frum community in beachwood is. She was really sweet and I liked her as a teen.
I can't tell you from a parent's perspective, but from a patient's perspective.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 11:34 am
We use Pediatricenter for our girls. They see Dr. Elizabeth Feighan. They have call in hours and we like the staff at the Mayfield Heights office. http://www.pediatricenter.com/index.htm
Mayfield Heights
UH Landerbrook Health Center
5850 Landerbrook Dr. Suite 210
Mayfield Heights, Ohio 44124
Office: (440) 720-3888
Fax: (440) 720-3882

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 4:01 pm
When I was a teen I went to Dr Elizabeth Hellerstein in Green Road Pediatrics. She was great at making me feel comfortable talking to her about anything going on with me, not just physically. She takes an interest in her patient lives and wellbeing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:39 pm
Bumping this up looking for a pediatrician.
Dr. Senders is not taking new medicaid patients now.
Any more pros and cons between Dr. Garber and Dr. Worthington? I'm hearing great things about both and they both have the same limited hours I think Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics