Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Leaving Brooklyn for...??
Previous  1  2

dillie

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 10:22 am
Riverdale is not for you, OP.
Call Milky Forst at 516-239-0306 and ask for an agent who can take you around and give you a feel for the 5 Towns possibilities. She has a lot of agents, see if you can get one who is on your wavelength and can tell you what you really need to know- I.e., frum, lives in the area, if possible from Brooklyn. You can also check out the houses on MLSLI.com and see if there is anything you love.
Look into Cedarhurst and Woodmere- aim for the shteibel area, as well as around where the new break off shteibel will be. Don't bother with Lawrence or North Woodmere- former is too pricey, latter is too Teaneck-y for you. I don't know what your level of frumkeit is, but I have a feeling you won't like most of Cedarhurst.
Good luck. Are you going to have to sell a Brooklyn house before you buy a 5 Towns house? if so, I'd get the ball rolling if you want to be in by September- it's a terrible market to be selling in.

hmmmm?

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:40 pm
Have you considered Far Rockaway?

Also, there are lots of people that commute to Manhattan from Monsey daily. The areas that I've been to are not like you describe - the houses all have land, but they are not 5 minutes apart and I've seen manicure places,etc that did not seem very far at all. Many of the houses have swimming pools and land in the front and back. The communities are different, depending on the area. It seems like a really nice place to live - and there's great shopping a short drive away.

shabri

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 2:17 pm
I grew up in Woodmere. Lived there for 27 yrs and moved out bout 3 yrs ago. You should check out Aish Kodesh, The shteibel & the Agudah. For schools there is Shulamis in Woodmere & TAG or Bnos Beis Yaakov in Far Rockaway. For boys its South Shore in Hewlett or Yeshiva Ketana in Wodmere or Darchei in Far Rock.

Fell free o ask me any questions

dats me

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 8:29 am
youre right, OP, if youre looking for a lot of space and a yard, I guess Kew Gardens Hills isnt the place to look!!

Classicookie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 7:31 pm
ok I just saw this post if you still are intresed on info of passaic you can email me at bo50050@yahoo.com

tziganka

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 12:07 pm
cassandra wrote:
You sound perfect for Woodmere/Lawrence/Cedarhurst. It is essentially filling up with people just like you-- Brooklynites who like the Brooklyn lifestyle with all the material things but want a bit of space from your parents and a bigger back yard. Go to Central Ave. on a weekday and look around and the women. It sounds like you'd feel very comfortable.

I agree, Woodmere has become a cleaner Brooklyn, with even better shopping (they have a Trader Joe's). I myself would love to move there.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 10:21 am
OP.
So we are looking at both Passaic and Woodmere, while we are both leaning towards woodmere (community might be a better fit, still in NY not a different state which just feels further, commute we figured out would be simpler with LIRR, we already have friends and fam there)
Does anyone know where I can look at houses online? Are there any agents that give listings with actual Pictures? From what Ive seen (on luach.com) it seems like we can get alot more for our money in Passaic than in Woodmere (which is disappointing to us!). Is that true? or am I looking in the wrong places?

And sorry to introduce a new place-but what about Monsey? Places like WesleyHills or Forshay? Its so beautiful out there, but I am scared of monsey because a) Ive heard the mentality there is more "out of town" ish - which is the very reason we are leaning more towards 5towns over Passaic - is this true? b) Im used to everything being so close and convenient, everything there seems so far and spread out. Is this true? or would monsey be a good "fit" for us?

Sorry I havent been replying, Ive been too busy looking for houses. but I have read everyones responses these past few weeks and I really appreciate everyones input!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
OP.
So we are looking at both Passaic and Woodmere

I cant edit this
But when I said Woodmere, I meant:
CEDARHURST
I am getting so confused. Oy.
Woodmere, as other posters have said, is probably too "YUish" or "teanecky" for us.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 10:24 am
dillie wrote:

Good luck. Are you going to have to sell a Brooklyn house before you buy a 5 Towns house? if so, I'd get the ball rolling if you want to be in by September- it's a terrible market to be selling in.

Yea. We might rent it. We will see what happens.
Its a buyers market right now, not a sellers market.
And nothing is set in stone. We might just stay put if nothing works out, if that is Bashert, it will be that way.

nylon

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:38 am
Go to http://www.mlsli.com/

All the local MLS listings are there. You won't get FSBOs, but anything listed by the regular firms will be there and you'll get a feel for what's available.

As for Monsey, I'd say the commute from the 5T is better, and Monsey is much more spread out--which might be good or bad, depending on what you want.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating