Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Good rec for memoirs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 7:52 pm
I enjoyed "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson.
It's about the US ambassador to Germany during the rise of Hitler's power.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:36 pm
There's a great one by a therapist.The name of it slips my mind . So so so good

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:36 pm
There's a great one by a therapist.The name of it slips my mind . So so so good

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:47 pm
Here is the name of the great book by a therapist: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb. Excellent Book. Has anyone read it?

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Here is the name of the great book by a therapist: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb. Excellent Book. Has anyone read it?

It’s on my list of books to read! Smile

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 10:10 pm
sevengirl wrote:
Weekends at Bellevue
Twelve patients
Maybe you should talk to somebody
This narrow space

Lol I have a theme of books I like

I'd add "Sometimes, Amazing Things Happen" to this list.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:22 am
This isn’t exactly a memoir but it is a true story – The Boy who Loved Too Much, by Jennifer Latson. Fascinating read going through the story of a boy with Williams syndrome. I’m only about a third of the way through but really recommend it.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 9:29 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This isn’t exactly a memoir but it is a true story – The Boy who Loved Too Much, by Jennifer Latson. Fascinating read going through the story of a boy with Williams syndrome. I’m only about a third of the way through but really recommend it.

There's a book from one of the frum publishers called Sunshowers about a family fostering a child with Williams.

Which reminds me of an other memoir, very different, called Normal, about a child with Treacher Williams.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:35 am
PinkFridge wrote:
There's a book from one of the frum publishers called Sunshowers about a family fostering a child with Williams.

Which reminds me of an other memoir, very different, called Normal, about a child with Treacher Williams.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Is the “Normal” memoir this book?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 10:40 am
RL Klein’s two books are amazing
its been publicized a lot as it just came back into print
lots of people have been reading it

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 07 2020, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 1:57 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Thank you for the recommendations!

Is the “Normal” memoir this book?

I can't open your link. This is the book:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com.....10768

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 2:00 pm
All ideas sound amazing.
Now can I kindly ask if everyone who posted can go back and tell us about their recommendations: clean? PG? etc Thanks!

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I can't open your link. This is the book:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com.....10768

yes, that's the same one I posted.

Of the books I've recommended - none of them are 100% clean (that I know of, still in the middle of The Boy Who Loved Too Much), but they have varying degrees of information. Some of them do address traumatic family dynamics and se xual abuse. Wouldn't recommend them for teenagers or younger.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:23 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I don't know if you want davka not Jewish, but the previous Lubavitcher Rebbe's (Yosef Yitzchak)memoirs are amazing. I've read a couple reduxes into English and it was just amazing. His time prison, fleeing/hiding from the communists, so full of suspense. I found (at least in English) that he writes in a way that you can feel and imagine yourself there. He discusses his feelings, fears, childhood experiences, etc. I can't describe it better than saying it's just so real.

Are there several volumes of the memoirs?
Because I got hold of one volume, probably the first one, where he talks about the town of Lubavitch, its founders and first generations of inhabitants, and then he speaks a lot about early chassidism, or chassidism before it even began, and of Shneur Salman of Liady's ancestors, specially his grandfather shneur salman and his father Baruch...
And I was wondering if there are more volumes...

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 07 2020, 3:35 pm
I liked "A bag of marbles" by Joseph Joffo (was just made into a film, again), where he describes his survival as a jewish child in nazi-occupied France...

I liked "Memoires d'outre-tombe" by René de Chateaubriand, who lived at the time of the French revolution and after... It's a bit messy because he mixes earlier journals and later ones, but very interesting from a historic point of view.
I also liked "the first man" by Albert Camus.
I also Liked "The words", autobiography by Jean-Paul Sartre

I liked "Amkoulel, the fula child" and "Yes, my commander" by Amadou Hampâté Bâ... a childhood in Mali, adult life in french colonial service in West Africa.
I liked "Memoirs of a Geisha" (by Arthur golden) and the memoirs of the person who inspired this novel, Mineko Iwasaki.
I liked "Jungle Child" by Sabine Kuegler, a young woman who grew up with hunter-gatherers in Iryan Jaya.

Oh, and this one you certainly know: "Black Boy"... we had to read it in highschool, I didn't like it, I read it again a few years ago and found it very good.
Oh, and "Born a crime" by Trevor Noah is quite interesting too...

I suppose "Diana" by Andrew Morton must make a good read too, but I didn't read it.

And, as a teenager, I read a plethora of auto-biographies by classical musicians and actors...
Margot Fonteyn's (ballet dancer) memoires were a good read.
Also Arthur Rubinstein's (Pianist) memoirs...
Yehudi Menuhin's (violonist) memoirs too...
Luciano Pavarotti's (opera singer) too...

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:18 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

Almost done reading this one and it is definitely amazing! Well written, relatable, touching, and funny. Some language and s@xual references - would not recommend for teenagers. Fantastic book.

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:23 am
"Breaking Free: How I Escaped Polygamy, the FLDS Cult, and My Father, Warren Jeffs" by Rachel Jeffs. Excellent

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:40 am
A river could be a tree by Angela himsel,free spirit by Joshua saffran, This is not a love story by Judy brown, all who go do not return by shulem deen

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:47 am
Ora in town wrote:
Are there several volumes of the memoirs?
Because I got hold of one volume, probably the first one, where he talks about the town of Lubavitch, its founders and first generations of inhabitants, and then he speaks a lot about early chassidism, or chassidism before it even began, and of Shneur Salman of Liady's ancestors, specially his grandfather shneur salman and his father Baruch...
And I was wondering if there are more volumes...

I think a prince in prison is the book describing the previous rebbes time in jail etc. I wonder if that is what the previous poster was referring to.
The book you read has two volumes but neither really discuss the previous lubavitcher rebbes own life afaik

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:49 am
Inheritance by Dani Shapiro
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalinithi
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room