Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
We pass the cup around
1  2  Next

how do you pass around kiddush ??
everybody pours their own so no germs  
 13%  [ 11 ]
pour in separate cup then pass around  
 37%  [ 31 ]
pass out & then share only with family  
 21%  [ 18 ]
drink & pass the germs  
 15%  [ 13 ]
other - please share  
 12%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 83

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:43 pm
around & around ... with the germs - do you share or not ...

I cannot stand when people drink from the cup and then pass around their germs ...

Strudel

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:44 pm
We keep in the family.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:46 pm
We pour in a separate glass, then dh drinks. We then pass that cup around with more wine that everyone pours a bit into their own.

I don't like when people sip and then distribute, feh.

Last edited by Mimisinger on Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

sunshine!

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:46 pm
We prepare little cups and dh pours his shiur out of the becher into his glass and fills the little cups with the rest. No germs....

NativeMom

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 8:51 pm
My DH doesn't drink from the kiddish cup, he makes kiddish then pours the wine/grape juice into a different glass and drinks. He then starts pouring grape juice (from the kiddish cup) into everyone's glass. My father and father-in-law do this as well.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:01 pm
greenfire wrote:

I cannot stand when people drink from the cup and then pass around their germs ...

I'm not sure all rabbonim permit pouring and then drinking, it may be a hefsek.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:39 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

somebody else's saliva is a bigger hefsek if you ask me ...

anyways we pour in everyones cup before kiddush is said ... so all cups are included ...

dainty diva

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:49 pm
We own a silver-plate becher fountain. After kiddush, DH pours a bit of grape juice into the bottle, than a little from the becher back to the bottle, so the entire bottle is now kiddush-wine.* Then he fills the large becher of the fountain, and pours it down the little holes into the tiny 3 oz bechers.The kids love watching it and then they all get to drink in their own little becher!

*DH taught me that you're not allowed to pour from a cup that you drank from into a bottle, so you first have to pour FROM the bottle to the becher, and then you can pour it back to the bottle. The reason of pouring back into the bottle is because it is an "inyan" to make kiddush in the morning from wine leftover from the Friday-Night kiddush, and havdallah from both kiddeishim.

Sorry for the looong ramble... Cheers L'chaim!!!

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:51 pm
* so you're making the entire bottle full of germs ?!?!?! shock

bandcm

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:51 pm
Do germs survive in alcohol?

Mommastuff

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:56 pm
When there's no company, we end up sharing. My kids like to drink out of their fathers cup besides their own. (Probably just to get more)

When we have others present, my dh pours out from his into another cup from which I distribute to other cups.

Sharing outside of family is gross IMHO. I would not like that if I were the company elsewhere!

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:01 pm
bandcm wrote:
Do germs survive in alcohol?

the germs probably don't ... however what about the drool - can't get rid of that ... and unless you're drunk on some 96% you wouldn't want to sip s/o spit ...

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:12 pm
I know it's common for many that just one man, usually head of house, makes kiddush. But by us all the men do their own so you're never getting germs from a stranger. I'm rather grateful for this custom as I would have quite a problem sharing a cup with everyone who comes to our table. Feh!

miriam

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:52 pm
We pass the cup around for our immediate family. If anybody joins our Kiddush, they get some poured in their cup after my husband takes a sip/ If any of the kids are really sick, they might sip last, to minimize the germs.

ChavieK

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:59 pm
We mix & match. Some of the kids pour into their own cups before kiddush, to be included in kidush. DH pours into diff glass before he drinks so some kids like from the "clean" wine, guests get that too. And some like to drink staight from dh becher.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 4:53 am
Dh pours into separate glass, then drinks, what is left in original cup is divided into individual cups for anyone present at the table, I get what is left in original cup. If we need more kiddush, DH adds from the bottle to the original cup before distributing it.
My father does the same.
If it's only us (we have two small children) DH might skip the pouring into seprate glass but still give out individual cups for the kids.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 5:37 am
chocolate moose wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Actually as far as I know, there is actually a halachic problem with drinking from the cup and then passing it on, something do with pigum coss.
S, at least according to my father and DH, this way is much more mehudar.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 6:25 am
I pour kiddush, so I pour in all the cups to begin with. I leave a little bit of space in the tops of the cups, except for DH. After DH makes kiddush, he pours a little bit out into a spare cup. While he drinks, I pour from the spare cup into the rest of the cups, so everyone gets clean (and lots of) kiddush grape juice.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 8:17 am
NativeMom wrote:
My DH doesn't drink from the kiddish cup, he makes kiddish then pours the wine/grape juice into a different glass and drinks. He then starts pouring grape juice (from the kiddish cup) into everyone's glass. My father and father-in-law do this as well.

my dh does the same thing.
once I was by someone's home and when they passed the cup around I noticed a hair from the beard on the cup

lst

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 8:17 am
we have cups poured with wine in it for everyone beforehand so it is all included in the kiddush.
in my opinion that is the easiest.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette