Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
ChaSIdsiche v. Chaseeeedish
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:06 pm
Oh - a note here, it was NOT Technic but Hisorerus who originated the idea for this thread!

Sorry, Technic!

Blossom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 2:16 am
Quote:
or more blonde!

LOL, was that a nice way of saying more dumb???

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:06 pm
um.no!!!!!!!!

Blossom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 3:05 pm
LOL OK, did you mean more smart??? Study

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 3:19 pm
no..I just meant it as something that you can see, something obvious, something that doesn't change.....

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:31 am
roza wrote:
I think that, it's safe to say that Chabad is very diverse group and within Chabad (Chochma Binah Daas) there are many chassidim who are really CHaGaS.

that is not desirable, from a Chabad perspective

Quote:
The same can be said about other groups.

if I understand what you're saying, that's extremely rare

maybe you'd like to elaborate?

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:45 am
chen wrote:
sarahd wrote:

How about the oberlander yidden? Bet you never heard of them either.

you'd win that one. Auslanders, yes, oberlander, no, except as a bakery that makes very good pesachdik pastries.

so who and what are they?

sarahd?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 12:20 pm
Whoops, sorry I missed that post by chen. But thank you for confirming me in my inferiority complex. Oberlander Jews come from the western part of Hungary, Austria and parts of Slovakia. The capital of Oberlander Jews is/was Pressburg and they follow minhag Chasam Sofer. Oberlander Jews are tremendous yirei shomayim and a wonderful breed who are unfortunately dying out. If you've ever heard of Nitra, Debrecen, Zelem, Mattersdorf (not the J-lem neighborhood) - those were strongholds of oberlander Jews. The Viener kehilla in Wmsburg/BP is another example. Oberlander Jews have beautiful minhagim, beautiful tefillos and are wonderful people.

**hesped ends here.

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 12:51 pm
Lucky, from one Satmar chassidista to another - thank you.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 12:52 pm
sarad wrote:
Oberlander Jews are tremendous yirei shomayim and a wonderful breed who are unfortunately dying out.
What do you mean by that? Isn't the young generation continuing in their derech?

merpk

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:20 pm
This place never ceases to amaze me.

What do you mean, other Khasidim don't "take" BTs?

We have BT friends who are Gerer khasidim, Bobover, Skverer, Amshinov, Munkatcher, Skulener ... and we won't even mention Breslov because that goes without saying ...

I mean, what did that mean?

If you mean they're not standing out on street corners actively pursuing BTs, that's maybe more correct of a statement.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:43 pm
if you mean me, I didn't say they didn't TAKE them. I said it wasn't part of their general plan.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:51 pm
Quote:
We have BT friends who are Gerer khasidim, Bobover, Skverer, Amshinov, Munkatcher, Skulener ... and we won't even mention Breslov because that goes without saying ...

I mean, what did that mean?

If you mean they're not standing out on street corners actively pursuing BTs, that's maybe more correct of a statement

Yes, Baalei Teshuvah have wound up in every segment of frum society, including Chassidish, and Litvishe but chances are that their first, original encounter with Torah-true Yiddishkeit was from a Lubavitcher, ie. one of those people standing on the street corners putting on tefillin, or handing out Shabbos candles. Or a Lubavitcher shliach who relocated somewhere with his entire family to yehupitzville for them.

merpk

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 3:10 pm
Unbelievable.

While I love Chabad, have great respect for our local shlukhim, etc., etc., etc. ... I think it's incredible arrogance to assume that they're the only face of frumkeit that invites and inspires BTs.

For the record, all the aforementioned Khasidim I mentioned were entirely introduced to loving Yiddishkeit through HaRav Shlomo Carlebach, a'h, who himself loved the Rebbe deeply ... but sof-sof, he was not Chabad. And whom many posters here have totally reviled.

As was I, BTW.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 3:35 pm
the point of the thread was not who makes more B.T.

the point of the thread was the hashkofo of different chassididc groups.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:00 pm
Shlomo Carlebach is a subject for the threads that are here on him.

I don't think you can so simply just dismiss what people have said.

But again, that's for those threads.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:21 pm
Quote:
I think it's incredible arrogance to assume that they're the only face of frumkeit that invites and inspires BTs.

Why don't you ASK the Baalei Teshuva you know, that are part of communities other than Chabad, whether at some point in their journey toward Yiddishkeit, perhaps their first step, Chabad was part of it? (I'm not talking about whether they became Lubavitchers or not.)

I have heard that a large percentage of those who attend Baalei Teshuvah Yeshivos began somewhere at all, with Chabad. However, it wouldn't be PC to admit that for obvious reasons.

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:28 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
sarad wrote:
Oberlander Jews are tremendous yirei shomayim and a wonderful breed who are unfortunately dying out.
What do you mean by that? Isn't the young generation continuing in their derech?

No, sadly they are not. The younger generation has become either chassidish or litvish. For some reason it seems to be impossible to pass the tradition down to the next generation.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:37 pm
sarad is it because they didn't have their own Yeshivos, and mosdos? Because that's probably the only way to educate youth in a certain derech.

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 5:45 pm
That's the reason my father gives but I don't understand it because Vien has a yeshiva, Chasan Sofer is (or was) oberland, Nitra has a yeshiva - so why didn't the children who learned there remain oberland?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics