Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Eyeliner

Rivky

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 11:58 pm
Can anybody tell me how to put eyeliner on my top eyelid? Trying but still no luck....

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:00 am
you need to try to get a line as closest to the lashes as possible (no space). And it should be thin and straight.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:05 am
What octopus said. I also try to put it almost on my lashes so if it's a bit thick, some of it stays on the lashes but a thinner line stays on my lid.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:05 am
place a finger from your non dominant hand on the outer corner of your eye and stretch your eyelid a bit so that is looks like a straight edge. then use your dominant hand to make a line with the pencil just above the hairline of eyelashes.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:19 am
If you have difficulty with an eye pencil, use an eyeshadow instead - some of them also work well if you wet them to make a darker line, but dry is also fine and actually prettier than pencil, more natural and easier to work with. You need to buy either a slant eyeliner brush or a bent fine liner brush - if you don't know what these are, any makeup store will. Try it - you'll thank me for it! Also, if you pull your eye into a straight line to put it on (not always necessary with shadow), just leave go when you're doing the outer edge, because the line will not go on in quite the right place. Also, don't try to do one straight line - it's much harder than doing little dashes that join together (am I making sense?). One more thing, although a solid line is a popular look, a slightly smudged line looks much prettier and is much easier for someone who doesn't have a very steady hand.

Good luck! Let us know how you're getting along!

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 12:23 am
I use a brush. I find pencil annoying.

Rivky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 8:51 am
A brush? Wouldnt that come out a little thick? And anyway, how would I use a brush. My eyeliner comes none brushable!

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 8:54 am
Same here, I use a brush with an very dark eyeshadow powder. It's the only thing that works for me, I'm too much of a klutz for pencil or those liquid things.

Rivky the brush does not make it thick because they have special brushes for this with small bristles in a very thin line (hard to explain).

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 9:06 am
I have a steady hand and I bought a very expensive thin, tiny brush.I get a lot of compliments on my makeup and I can get the thin line with the brush. Though it takes practice and steadiness. The pencil always comes out messy.

Teacup9

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 9:12 am
I think it just takes practice. It took me like ten years to be able to put eyeliner on nicely. Lately I've been lining the inner eye with a dark green or black and using a lighter more copper liner on the outer.

alch2004

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 9:15 am
loreal has a great liner that is very easy to apply - its in a gold tube and has a felt tip. try it!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 10:37 am
I also use a brush that I make wet with some eye shadow. I like that it's not as harsh and I can use any color I want.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:08 pm
One other suggestion if you're using a pencil type eyeliner and do not put on eyeshadow under it.

First powder your eyelids with pressed facial powder, then put on the eyeliner (as described above) on top of that. It's much easier to get it on (and I think it lasts longer).

rachel19977

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:50 am
Look on youtube's videos online. There are lots of girls recording themselves very nicely on how to put on eyeliner , eyeshadow and more. Good luck!

octopus

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 12:02 am
here is a great link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_bJQdOd1hc

amother

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 12:08 am
I like how it looks when I use a bit of eyeliner on my upper lid, but I find that within a short time, I have dark smudges under my eyes (I think my blinking is spreading/smudging the eyeliner - I don't touch my eyes). I don't want to look like a raccoon, so any tips on preventing this from happening?

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 12:27 am
Amother above, I would recommend a water-resistant liner for smudging issues.

I personally use covergirl perfect point plus self-sharpening liner, which is not an actual pencil, it has more of a marker consistency if you know what I mean.

Anyways, never do it in one straight line unless you have super-steady hands. Make little lines on top of your eye and then connect them. Much easier.

levial

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
I like how it looks when I use a bit of eyeliner on my upper lid, but I find that within a short time, I have dark smudges under my eyes (I think my blinking is spreading/smudging the eyeliner - I don't touch my eyes). I don't want to look like a raccoon, so any tips on preventing this from happening?

Re: smudges: After using a conventional pencil liner I use an eyeliner brush (as others mentioned there are slanty ones, bent tip ones, and I have an older one from bobbi brown that is just like a flat straight line) to apply similar color of shaddow to "seal" the waxy/ stuff that smudges on my eye. This is also my technique on Fridays for Shabbat - I use Revlon color stay (my other tip for you) and then put the powder on top.

Re: original question on technique for upper eye - Suffice it to say that you should start with a sharp point to the eyeliner. Old eyeliner should be thrown out - you can get decent ones cheaply, and they're basically the same- the expensive to the 99c variety- a fresh one is what matters (not dry, old)

I make the peace sign with my non-dominant hand and put each finger on the corner of the eyes then pull the skin taut and prevent the blinkie thing that happens when I don't. Now look in the mirror and make tiny dashes or dots. (Dots if you've got a waxy soft pencil, dashes if it's a bit harder) Now take the pencil and connect the dashes. for a softer look, smudge with a foam tip of an applicator or your finger...(like for a smoky eye). Then apply powder eye shaddow in the same color (I use bobbi brown in mahogany on the eyeliner and as an eyebrown powder) on top using an eyeliner brush that is stiff (not one for liquid eyeliner).

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 10:44 am
about the eyeliner and brush: I have very sensitive eyes and though I LOVE the eyeliner and brush, I find that after a while I tend to get an allergic reaction even though I clean my brushes. The dipping and re-dipping of the brush breeds bacteria, and if you have very sensitive eyes= red goopy disaster.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics