Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Chopped liver anybody?

AGINY

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 4:12 am
I want to make chopped liver for shabbos. I know to put it hard boiled eggs and sauteed onions and mayo (I think). Anyone here have any tips or better ideas?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 4:15 am
and salt and pepper.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 4:24 am
AGINY wrote:
I want to make chopped liver for shabbos. I know to put it hard boiled eggs and sauteed onions and mayo (I think). Anyone here have any tips or better ideas?

make sure the onions have completly carmalized then add the liver for a short sautee. I don't use mayo. And of course salt and pepper.

AGINY

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 4:42 am
thank you both! My grandmother made the best chopprd liver but she used shmaltz.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 8:13 am
would avoid the mayo as well ... use lots & lots of fried onions ... don't forget the pickle Mr. Green

Lani22

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 9:46 am
I also just use lots of fried onions, a few hard boiled eggs and salt and pepper

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 10:21 am
ditto - skip the mayo

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 1:40 pm
mine was very dry and a little mayo went a long way

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 1:56 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

probably if you put in tons of onions, it wouldn't have been dry even without the mayo.

su7kids

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 2:25 pm
I made mine with onions, eggs, salt (no pepper, cos I don't like it) and the oil that I sauteed the onions in, I added that, and if it was dry, I added more.

Absolutely no mayo!

My mouth is watering.

hannah95

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 10:44 am
I had chopped liver in a restaurant and really want to make it at home but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to cook the liver properly. Here, we either the liver pre-grilled, or not grilled, and I know there is a machlokes on koshering liver. Could anyone of you ladies give me a step by step of the recipe ? Do you get your livers already cooked from the butcher ? Do you cook them on the grill and then chop them ? Sorry if I sound stupid, but chopped liver is not something my community is very familiar with and I just love it Smile

Thank you !

Aidelmom

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 11:29 am
I get it already kashered so its already cooked. I grind it in the food processor w/ fried onions the oil fom the fried onions a bit of salt pepper and sugar to taste. I dont add eggs because my husband likes it strong although pesonally I like it better w/ eggs.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 3:23 pm
yo'ma wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

probably if you put in tons of onions, it wouldn't have been dry even without the mayo.

how much is a ton? I used two for a very small pkge of liver.

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 4:29 pm
I saute about 3-4 "fist-sized" onions ( I slice them so they are 1/2 moon shapes not chopped) for a small package (about 5-8) chicken livers or and envelope size of beef liver. I get the liver pre-broiled and kashered from the market.

I saute the onions until carmelizes then add the liver that I coarsle chopped (big chunks) up to heat it a little. Then I put the livers and most of the onions in the food processor with salt and pepper. I pulse it about 10-15 times ot until mixed but still coarse (dh says when it's smooth it's pate not chopped liver!) - I don't add eggs b/c of allergy, but when I used to I would add about 1-2 hard boiled eggs into the pan with the liver and onions before the processor.

With the left over onions (aka reserved) I keep sauteing them until they get crispy then I lay them on paper to drain some of the oil and serve them with the liver! YUM!!!!

hannah95

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 6:38 pm
Thank you very much MM !
I will have to ask my butcher about the liver, but I will try your recipe next shabbat bli neder and let you know how it goes !

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 6:22 am
good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics