Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Clothes shopping with your teens

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:34 am
If you go to non Jewish stores (Forever 21, H&M etc) how do you handle the crazy rap music? And the sviva there? I know that there are bargains to be had, but it's SO goyische!

The best part was when a Chassidishe man was waiting right outside the dressing room!!!!!!!!!

daisy

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:51 am
SaraG wrote:

The best part was when a Chassidishe man was waiting right outside the dressing room!!!!!!!!!

well you can just go to Boro Park for that

no tips from experience. don't have teens yet, but would prob just take them with me. don't think you can keep teens away from malls and shopping, so better to be there with them.

btw, I *wish* I had an H&M where I live

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 11:01 am
someone once said: you can tell a store by its music, and ive found that to be too true.
ive stopped going into those places.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:03 pm
RG, the place is full of frum people. And not just modern types either, it's Chassisidshe people and the guy ouside my dressing room had peyos, the long curly ones!!!!!!!!!

hila

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:38 pm
Since I know I wont agree with my 14 year old daughter about clothes, I tend to give her money and let her shop either with her 19 year old sister or with certain friends.
That way I dont get comments l;ike "Ima how could you think I would wear THAT ?? it is SO UGLY" if I like something, or "isnt this great ? " on some strange coloured or strange shaped thing.

She knows that they have to be tsanua. they know how much I am prepared to spend, and they call before actually buying something.

I trust them to use a bit of common sense . And they know something will go back if I really dont like or approve of it. So far it seems to work, and I dont have to hear that music(yes they play it here in Israel too).

Hila

By the way she is a great kid/person. (right now she is sewing a skirt for her sister) . we just dont agree on fashion at all.
This is not an argument about tsniut, just about taste.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 2:29 pm
Oh, it's for sure about taste!

lucky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 9:07 pm
Shopping with my 13 and 14 yr olds is a nightmare!!!!! They are not very skinny, so that makes it even harder. They now need a nice Shabbos outfit. Anyone volunteer to go shopping with them?? Wink They aren't into ladies sizes yet, but the kid sizes are very babyish styles. I really couldn't sleep last night from the pressure of knowing that I have to go shopping this week.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 9:14 pm
I hope to be able to afford a personal shopper by the time I have teenagers.

imaamy

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 9:48 pm
Forever 21? Is there really anything at all in there? The music is way too loud regardless of the lyrics, and I can't find anything that covers even part of my body and I'm a size 6! I feel ancient when I go there.

hey its me

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:12 pm
as a teen my worst nightmare was going shopping with my mother!!!!!!!!!!
wat she liked I hated and vise versa...

I really hope that when it comes to me shopping with my teen kids we can have good experiences together!!

(I have plenty of time till I get there, due soon with my 1st iyh)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 8:25 pm
Oh, we have a good time. Come with us!

ektsm

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 8:55 pm
There's nothing you can do about it. Just try to remember the good old days when you were young.

chen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 9:08 pm
SaraG wrote:
If you go to non Jewish stores (Forever 21, H&M etc) how do you handle the crazy rap music?

ear plugs. I wear them even in the supermarket, even in jewish stores, and especially at simchas. 125 decibels is 125 decibels, whether it's hip-hop or klezmer or Avrohom Fried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children