Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Down coat shedding?

elf123

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:26 pm
My down everyday coat, which I bought a couple of years ago and wear pretty much all winter, is shedding terribly on all of my clothing. Whenever I take it off, my clothing, (which is mostly dark colors so it's very obvious) is COVERED with little pieces of down. Is there anything I can do about it or is this just how down coats are? I am looking at my clothing now and I look like Mother Goose!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 7:44 pm
I've looked into this, and it seems that short of sewing a new lining for the coat (one with a higher thread count, so that it would be tough for the feathers to escape) there isn't much that can be done.
Sorry to have to tell you that Sad
If anyone has another theory, feel free to correct me.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 8:15 pm
sorry I have no advice, just sympathies. my coat has been doing the same since I bought it 4 years ago. feathers and feathers all over the place. I just cant justify purchasing a new one since it is warm and still functional, albeit messy.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 10:03 pm
add a new lining over the old one. otherwise, tough it out. eventually all the feathers will come out and you can restuff it and start over again. yay!

my down coat does this too. but I like it anyway.

louche

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:34 am
that's the nature of the beast. I will never again buy a down or feather coat, for that reason and others.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:45 am
Twizzlers wrote:
sorry I have no advice, just sympathies. my coat has been doing the same since I bought it 4 years ago. feathers and feathers all over the place. I just cant justify purchasing a new one since it is warm and still functional, albeit messy.

same here, except this is only my second winter wearing it.

It's just so warm, that I wear it anyway and walk around looking a little "feathery"

egam

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:52 am
Fabulous wrote:

It's just so warm, that I wear it anyway and walk around looking a little "feathery"

That's why I keep lint roller in my drawer at work. Don't want to give an impression that I sleep in my clothe.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:07 am
egam wrote:
Fabulous wrote:

That's why I keep lint roller in my drawer at work. Don't want to give an impression that I sleep in my clothe.

My dh often brushed me down with it if we are going out in the evening but I am a little lazy and forgetful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry