Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Vase of flowers mm

chocolatemilk

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:06 pm
I want to do a vase of flowers for mm
a glass vase that I'm gona fill with jelly beans and I wanna stick something in to be flowers
but I'm not sure what I can use
I had 2 ideas
flower shape cookies on a skewer but I'm not sure if that will really stick up straight
pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate but they dont really look like flowers
any ideas how I can make the skewers stay upright or something else to use as flowers?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:07 pm
you can use cookie cutters to cut out melon flowers. you can also make roses out of fruit by the foot on skewers.

mommalah

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:23 pm
can I pretty please steal this idea?
sounds great!
of course I'll have to wait for some replies...I am so creatively challenged! Smile

devorahrivka

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 11:43 pm
You could use pretzel rods as the stems, maybe

Crafty stores cell molds for chocolate and candy...you can make your own chocolate or candy flowers on sticks...you can usually buy lolly pop sticks at the same places that sell the molds.

What about one of those really big lolly pops with paper leaves attached to it? You can place it in the center and do the jelly beans and/or cookies around it. I don't see why you cant do somethng like this with a cookie too...find a store that sells lolly pop sticks...you could also use wood ice pop sticks or tongue depressors.

I've seen people take wrapped candy (the kind that has the wrapper that is twisted around it) and tie a handful of them together at the twisted end...they are usually then put on wire and, I think, pushed into foam...use this as you will...just brainstorming...

newlymarried

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:30 am
you can make fruit kebabs on skewers and stand them in the vase as well-cut pineapple into flower shapes, with grapes in the middle

skymile

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 10:59 am
you can get fruit leather in different colors and wrap them in the shape of a tulip/rose...

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:17 am
unless you're going to hand-deliver the mm immediately after yu make them and you know the ppl will be home, don't make fresh fruit kabobs (dried fruit is ok) b/c the fruit will blacken at best or spoil at worst. and anyway who wants to eat cut-up fruit that has been sitting around at room temp for several hours?

happy2beme

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:18 am
I made flower cookies on skewers & put them in a vase for shavuos.
I used styrofoam in the vase & they stayed put!
I also put royal icing on back of cookie where skewer was so it wouldn't fall off. (The cookies were really big & heavy)
It came out beautiful. Good luck!

willow

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:25 pm
You can do dried fruit, fruit leather and chocolate flowers. This way you don't have to worry about spoiling.
I did something like this once ( for a job) and it was beautiful.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 1:10 pm
Why not layer candy, nuts, dried fruit or whatever in the vase and give real flowers?

BlumaG

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 1:15 pm
if you bake the cookie on a lollypop stick it shud stay - cut out a flower shape cookie and cut out a hole in the middle, crush hard candy and put in hole - when its bakedhe candy mets and looks gorgeous

sunshine!

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 1:39 pm
I did a vase of flowers for Mishloach Monos a few years ago, when Purim fell out on Friday (flowers for Shabbos). My son dressed up as a girl in a pretty Shabbos dress, frilly socks, and a headband to match. It was really cute. I made a regular sugar cookie dough, cut into flower shapes and baked it on thick chocolate lolly sticks. When they were cooled, I wrapped floral tape (green) around the lolly stick and got wire leaves to wrap around each stick (under the tape). The floral tape offered stability and also made it look more like a flower. Oh, and I decorated the cookies with fondant in pretty colors. I also made chocolate mold flowers (tulips) with colored chocolate (I used a pretty peach for the top half and green for the leaves). It looked real pretty and the cookies were secure.

Good Luck!

chocolatemilk

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:23 pm
I like the idea to crush candies in the middle of the cookie
about putting real flowers in
I like the idea but
how would you do that water wise
and getting the food dirty, any ideas?

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 3:57 pm
florists have these little plastic dispensers that you can put on individual flowers (if you're giving just one). or you can just wrap the bunch in wet papertowel and bag it (or clear cellophane and just stick inside. If you do the flower cookies, remember to bake on a really low temp, like 225 to retain the bright colors otherwise they'll carmelize and turn brownish)

cubbie

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 4:03 pm
I made fondant flower lollypops for dd's b-day cake a couple of weeks ago, I will try to upload a picture but never managed to do this successfully before...
[img][/img]

Kugel lover

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 4:08 pm
Cubbie it's so pretty!

cubbie

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 4:22 pm
girly mom wrote:
Cubbie it's so pretty!

Thank you - it was the easiest cake I've ever made and at the same time the most effective!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 6:07 pm
A note for you – I once made a fruit MM and wrapped it in cellophane and stored it in the fridge. When it was time to deliver, they were all frosty and I felt so dump delivering something they couldn’t look into! Sorry I can’t offer a better idea. You can buy by the florist those green ferns to decorate in between the flowers.

avimom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:50 pm
wow don't you just buy those flower lollipops and stick them in?? If you need another min, you can ut mini-bites cookies at the bottom of the vase as dirt...

wtvr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:23 pm
This is what I did last year. I used flower lollipops, and filled the vase with nuts and chocolate ( I think!) Mishpacha makes the lollipops, it comes a few in a bouquet, wrapped nicely.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics