Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Schools!! in TORONTO
1  2  Next

moomoo

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:47 am
I just posted this under the toronto hamilton post. We are relocating to TO and I am looking into modern orthodox schools. I have three boys. One in High School and two in elementary. HELP!!

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 10:09 am
For high school the Bnei Akiva (MO) school is Or Chaim. You have to the right (Ner Yisroel) and the left (CHAT/CHAR) as well.

Elementary you have a few more options. The "feeder" school for Or Chaim is Netivot Hatorah. There's also Eitz Chaim. A community school (who at least used to have Orthodoxy as it's default curriculum; don't know what the current status is since most of the kids are not frum) is Associated.

Somehow it seems to me that there are more girl options.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 10:46 am
MOO !!!

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:02 am
There are a lot more schools than that now!
We have six boys. 2 in high school, 3 in elementary. I know a lot of people in a lot of the schools.
PM me if you want more info.

~Debbie

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:13 am
What Marion said.

If you can, try to schedule a visit with the schools to check for "fit".

Officially, Netivot and Or Chaim are MO schools with MO philosophy and students.

That said, I know one families that would seem to be MO, who chose Eitz Chaim because their rabbi encouraged it, because they were able to accommodate special needs, or because of personality issues.

We also have friends who just switched from Netivot to Associated - on paper, they seem to fit with Netivot but in reality Associated was better for their child.

Associated has 3 branches: Kamin (elementary in Thornhill), Poslums (elementary in Bathurst/Wilson area) and Hurwich (middle school for grades 6-8 for everyone). The mandate of the school is to serve the entire community, so as a matter of principle they will take any Jewish child without asking about the observance of the family. That said, the school makes it clear that children are given a Torah education, that kashrut is followed, and that birthday parties shouldn't be scheduled Shabbat or Yom Tov, and should be kosher. In some grades, they try to keep shomer Shabbat students together. The Posluns campus seems to be a bit more frum, although there are shomer Shabbat kids at Kamin. Classes are mixed boys and girls, and the dress code is fairly loose - no sleeveless tops, no shorts after grade 3, kippot for boys, no miniskirts. Girls may wear pants, and most do.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:16 am
Marion wrote:
For high school the Bnei Akiva (MO) school is Or Chaim. You have to the right (Ner Yisroel) and the left (CHAT/CHAR) as well.

Elementary you have a few more options. The "feeder" school for Or Chaim is Netivot Hatorah. There's also Eitz Chaim. A community school (who at least used to have Orthodoxy as it's default curriculum; don't know what the current status is since most of the kids are not frum) is Associated.

Somehow it seems to me that there are more girl options.

I recently moved out of Toronto but for boys MO schools, this is pretty much it.
Just so you're aware, Netivot is co-ed until 6th grade. Eitz Chaim is completely seperate starting from 1st grade.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:33 am
There is also Darchei Torah, which is somewhere inbetween Or Chaim and Ner.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:45 am
Oh, for high school I should mention that CHAT has definitely moved to the left over the past number of years, and it is less religious than Associated.

The new facilities in Vaughan are wonderful, but it may not be for you unless you feel comfortable with a very open, mixed setting.

Marion

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 12:26 pm
Darchei Torah must be new...in the last 6 years?

If you go CHAT/CHAR, be aware that you don't get to choose which campus. You may state a preference, but the division is usually made by postal code. For both Associated and CHAT, the southern campus(es) seem to be the more "frum" ones. Perhaps that's a demographic reality more than anything else. I would think that up at Kamin (Thornhill) you might have that demographic as well.

realeez

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:07 pm
Marion wrote:
Darchei Torah must be new...in the last 6 years?

Darchei started about 7 years ago. well, really the year before they brought Rabbi Breitowitz to Hamilton to revive the Yeshiva there and by the next September, the yeshiva moved to Toronto. They just recently bought a building so it must be doing well. I believe Eitz Chaim is the main feeder school for Darchei.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:15 pm
Kamin competes for MO students with Netivot just 2 min down the street. I'm not sure how it works with CHAT.

moomoo

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 8:32 am
Thats what I have been hearing. We are leaning towards CHAT for high school. We intend to come out sooner or later and do the TOUR. I hear CHAT has new admin?? What happened there?? For elemetary I will keep on reading and do the research! WOW! thanx!

moomoo

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 8:34 am
oh yeah, associated? is that less religious?? like less yeshivish? No davening,etc??

Marion

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 8:38 am
Associated is a community school. It's not at all "yeshivish". You have to get to at least Eitz Chaim before you get to "yeshivish" (a term that I NEVER, ever heard used in Toronto). There is most certainly davening at Associated. I know the school has changed greatly since I graduated, but it's still built on certain foundations.

realeez

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 9:37 am
Marion wrote:
Associated is a community school. It's not at all "yeshivish". "yeshivish" (a term that I NEVER, ever heard used in Toronto).

Times have changed; it's used a lot nowadays at least by many of the people I speak to.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 11:15 am
CHAT is an excellent, very academic school. One of the best academic educations in the city. Jewish wise it is very inclusive - a community oriented school. This means basically anything goes religious wise. There is optional daily davening available. They have hundreds of extra-curricular clubs and programs.

moomoo

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 9:55 am
I guess I have to learn Torontotarian?? Just kidding.

Tila

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:05 am
moomoo wrote:
I hear CHAT has new admin??

I think I know of one of the people!! If it is who I am thinking of, wow is this a lucky school!

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:19 am
Tila wrote:
moomoo wrote:
I hear CHAT has new admin??

I think I know of one of the people!! If it is who I am thinking of, wow is this a lucky school!

I hope they have new admin...

Anyway, Moomoo, it's Torontonian, not Torontotarian.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 12:02 pm
If you are interested in making sure your kids stay Orthodox ( even MO), Chat is not the place. Most of the kids are not even MO there. They don't all keep Shabbos, and Kashrut?! Boys and girls hang out verrrry freely together (if you know what I mean). Or Hachaim is MO, but much more commited to the mitsvot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating