Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I want paint my bathroom
1  2  Next

willow

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 2:00 pm
I really want to paint my bathroom. I am fairly artistic but I only have experience with oils and canvases and water-color.
Where do I start?

Ilovechoumous

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 2:12 pm
its very easy. ive painted 3 rooms.

I googled it, paint a room, and came up with many pages that have tips, for example:
http://www.realsimple.com/real......html

good luck!

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 8:07 pm
check if there are any cracks or holes and fill them with some dry wall compound ... use an angled paintbrush to do the edging - then paint the wall a base color and once it dries pretend it's a canvas - anything goes ...

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 9:57 pm
Though don't do what I did and do cover everything that you don't want splattered with paint, tape plastic over it masking tape for switch covers, if u don't want to take it off. Though I managed to clean all mine off after, it was a royal pain. If only I had prepared well before...........

Though it looks quite nice and royal with a marbelized decor and borders to match, makes bathroom time a pleasure, don't want to leave that quickly lol

Last edited by Tefila on Sat, Feb 14 2009, 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 10:15 pm
Go for it! I've done it.
Some tips, cover ALL exposed areas with plastic tableclothes and NEATLY tack them down with painter's tape.
Buy a pan, a roller, a small brush, and of course paint. Semi-gloss is the easiest paint to clean. (Matt absorbs stains, and is hard to clean. Use gloss and you will need sunglasses in the bathroom.) Use the roller for the main wall area, the brush for parts of the moldings and corners. And make sure that you are home alone, and that it's peacefull and quiet when you work.
Good luck!

willow

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 5:43 am
If I don't want to do the ceiling how do I make sure the edges are all even up the side walls?

willow

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 5:46 am
Ilovechoumous thank you for that site. I had spend over two hours looking at sites but I am no good finding the good helpful ones

Also one of the tips I found was to prime the walls what is primer?

And semi gloss paint you say does every one agree that is the best bathroom paint.
Where should I buy the paint? In a hard ware store?

I really appreciate all your help because I want to get it right and have no idea what I am doing

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 6:44 am
primer is a cover up that allows the paint to stick to the wall and the new paint ...

as for the ceiling and not getting paint on it - that is what the paintbrush is for ... you get an angled one and paint the edging before rolling the main area ...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 11:32 am
willow wrote:
If I don't want to do the ceiling how do I make sure the edges are all even up the side walls?

Painter's tape!
I spent the first day just taping up everything evenly and neatly. It took a lot of time, but it was so worth it.
Let's say you want to paint up the the ceiling, and skip the ceiling. Tape up the entire seam on the ceiling (between the top of the wall and the ceiling.) Then when you paint, automatically it won't touch the ceiling, and once it dries, and you peel off the painter's tape, it will leave the most neat line ever.
I painted halfway up the wall, and then placed a border between the two different color paints. It came out really neat.
Buy the paint along with the painter's tape, roller (a must for large spaces), pan for roller, brush for hard to reach places, and 2 rolls of painter's tape at a paint store. Are you in Brooklyn by any chance?

willow

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 1:13 pm
greenfire wrote:
primer is a cover up that allows the paint to stick to the wall and the new paint ...

as for the ceiling and not getting paint on it - that is what the paintbrush is for ... you get an angled one and paint the edging before rolling the main area ...

So I need two different types of paint?

sorry for two posts I don't know how to qoute people in the same reply..

willow

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 1:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
willow wrote:

Painter's tape!
I spent the first day just taping up everything evenly and neatly. It took a lot of time, but it was so worth it.
Let's say you want to paint up the the ceiling, and skip the ceiling. Tape up the entire seam on the ceiling (between the top of the wall and the ceiling.) Then when you paint, automatically it won't touch the ceiling, and once it dries, and you peel off the painter's tape, it will leave the most neat line ever.
I painted halfway up the wall, and then placed a border between the two different color paints. It came out really neat.
Buy the paint along with the painter's tape, roller (a must for large spaces), pan for roller, brush for hard to reach places, and 2 rolls of painter's tape at a paint store. Are you in Brooklyn by any chance?

I read on a few sites to take off the tape while its still wet so it doesn't pull paint off?
Do you have pictures of what you did? I would love to see it.
No not in Brooklyn Israel

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 2:10 pm
willow - how are your walls now ... do they need fixing - what type of paint is on it ... generally speaking a primer goes on first and then you choose whatever color you are using - even if it's white - the primer is porous and allows the paint to stick to the walls proper ...

you said you're an artist - I wouldn't go through the trouble of the tape - with the right brushes you can simple be careful ...

willow

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 6:11 am
My walls are decent. They were painted by whoever build the apartment. Its probably junky paint but its plain, clean white. I am going to do the painters tape I think its a brilliant idea. Still confused if I need to do this primer thing. I want to paint it a light soft green and then paint a picture with shades of soft pink and lavender on top.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:33 am
willow wrote:
My walls are decent. They were painted by whoever build the apartment. Its probably junky paint but its plain, clean white. I am going to do the painters tape I think its a brilliant idea. Still confused if I need to do this primer thing. I want to paint it a light soft green and then paint a picture with shades of soft pink and lavender on top.

Definatley use the painter's tape. I myself am very neat, but you cannot imagine the difference between a clean straight line defined by the tape, and the straight lines of your own hands.
You are right about removing the painter's tape while the paint is still wet. I took it off while wet in the kitchen, and it came out wonderfully. I waited until the paint somewhat dried in the hallway, and in one or two areas the paint "picked itself up" from the wall.

If you were painting professionally on brand new sheetrock, I would say absolutely use the primer. I myself was painting over decent condition paint that was 3 years old, and I did not use primer. From your description, I really don't think that you need it.

Good luck with your painting! Your idea sounds beautiful.

willow wrote:
Do you have pictures of what you did? I would love to see it.
No not in Brooklyn Israel

I myself was just painting to refresh the color. The paint all over my apartment was a linen white color, so I just bought a linen white semi-gloss, and painted only halfway up the wall. (To refresh the bottom area.) The color was very similar to the old paint that I left on top. In the hallway I just stopped painting with the molding that came up mid-way on the wall. And in the kitchen which did not have a molding halfway up, I made my own line, and then when I was done, used a store bought border to bring it all together. Nothing artistic at all. I don't have pictures. But I am sure that they would look like nothing even if I had. Go ahead with your artistic ideas. They sould wonderful.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:14 pm
ditto - sounds like the walls are in pristine condition so I would forego without the primer ...

also the ceiling and the wall meet at a line - that's the one I follow ... then again I paint Colors

willow

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:18 pm
ra_mom thank you for all the time you are taking to help me I really appreciate it.
So G-d willing I am going to go to the paint/hardware store and ask for painters tape, rollers, brushes and paint in semi-gloss the colors I want and no primer. Right?
Green-fire thank you as well Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:19 pm
Right!

willow

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:19 pm
Ilovechoumous, do you have pictures?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 1:29 pm
and if you wanna go the extra mile - get "blue" tape it doesn't stick up to 7 days (just in case)

also get an angled 1 1/2 - 2 inch brush (38mm) more precision Idea

don't forget a paint tray to use with the rollers ... they even make disposable liners ...

willow

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 10:52 am
Ok this is an old old thread but I finally got around to painting the bathroom:) Thank you for all your help. Its a gorgeous light pastel minty green. and the portion that sticks out is a new fresh white. I want to paint flowers on it now can I use my oils or acrylic paint? Or do I have to buy something special for the bathroom walls?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics