Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Attention Teachers: What do you want for Shalach Manos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
what if you can't give a tip to the teachers(bec of the economy and u don't have a job)? can u just give a box of chocolate? should I also write a note? do I need to excuse myself for not giving a tip?

A nice thank you note with anything or nothing for that matter, is much appreciated!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:00 pm
Pulease, teachers do NOT need a tip for Purim, a nice note is just fine. And something pesachdik is wonderful! As per assistants, there is nothing wrong with giving the assistants the same MM as the teacher. I just don't like on Chanukah when they get same amount of money as me. I know my assistants work hard, but don't the parents know it's the teachers who do most of the work???

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:24 pm
As a former assistant I'll put in my thoughts. I did feel a bit slighted when the teacher got shaloch manos and I got nothing from certain students. I got one tip and did not expect any really. I worked hard (of course the teacher worked harder) for peanuts as pay. I did put heart into the students and I appreciated when I wasn't just forgotten and thought of as a nobody. So while I don't think an assisstant needs the same thing as the teacher- especially when you are sending mishloach manos to the teacher in class when the assisstant is there - try to recognise her in some way too.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
As per assistants, there is nothing wrong with giving the assistants the same MM as the teacher. I just don't like on Chanukah when they get same amount of money as me. I know my assistants work hard, but don't the parents know it's the teachers who do most of the work???

maybe in your case ... but in many situations the teacher shoves the responsibilities to the assistant while the teacher gets all the credit ... Confused

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 1:36 pm
maybe in your case ... but in many situations the teacher shoves the responsibilities to the assistant while the teacher gets all the credit ...

in which case the teacher shouldn't be getting anything Confused

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 1:37 pm
when I was working(I was an assistant as well)honestly, anything was appreciated! It was so thrilling getting a present! Even if it was a useless lipstick holder! The most interesting and beautiful gift I've recieved was a silver mezuza case.

I really liked it that the school gave the teachers MM and it came in a pocket book. Okay, it was a cheap one, but it was really nice!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 9:27 pm
I was a shadow for 3 years in the same class { I went up with the child} and I really helped out a lot in the classroom. (preschool) It was really nice of a few mothers to give me MM. So think of everyone in the classrooom.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 5:03 pm
First of all to the teacher who said she works harder than the assistant... I was an assistant in a preschool and I always worked as hard as the teacher and probably went far beyond my duties... but she got paid a fortune more than me and also got much bigger tips which was really upsetting. Also as a teacher now, I think that you either have to give a decent and respectible Shalach Manos or don't give anything at all. I got some real pathetic ones and it's embarassing... It's not that I need all that junk, it's the idea behind it... I had parents in the past put the Shalach Manos on nice platters that you can reuse and that was nice.

mrs me

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:04 pm
queen wrote:
I'd suggest giving the teacher a gift certificate....

I have a pile of gift certificates I've never had the chance to cash in from 7 years worth of students! If you're spending the money anyway, a simple check is most versatile!

Or as others have mentioned, I love receiving something that comes in a usable item- I remember exactly which student gave me the cookie jar, napkin holder, etc... I love the memories!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:10 pm
I have given a small pack of mitzvah kinder for teachers and rebbis that have little kids. I figured they receive enough food.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:50 pm
As a teacher for 20 years I can honestly say that the note is the most important part of the sholoch manos. I keep them and have quite a collection that I look back at every once in a while. They keep me going:) please don't send anything homemade as it most likely will end up in the garbage. Any chocolate or wrapped candy is nice, but truthfully the vegetables and fruit platters we got were eaten immediately and really appreciated among all the junk received. And please don't give me any crystal serving dishes. I can open a gift shop from my collection. Thanks in advance! And of course if u can afford to send a check it's always very much appreciated even it's it's a small amount. Every little bit helps!

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:02 pm
Money, gift card, Amazon.
Please please do not give a gift card in a store that you can buy a shoe string for $18(!). Or be practical don't buy a gift certificate for a Morah that lives in Boro Park, a certificate at store in Flatbush. (You forgot we don't drive?)
#1 teacher mugs, pens, magnets are dumb.
Please be practical, most of us are not paid on time.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:11 pm
I wrap a bottle of wine or sparkling grape juice with a fruit or two. I include a check or visa gift card.
The way I wrap it looks nice, and I'm confident nothing is being thrown out (besides the wrapping).

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 11:06 pm
seems like everyone has their own opinion. Some say no serving dishes some say yes.
I personally love getting little dishes and mugs because I remember each and every student who gave it when I look at it, vases jugs pitchers etc..

yet some teachers dont like it because they have a full collection.
. Point is you'll never know.

just do what you feel comfortable with and dont worry about if the teacher will appreciate it or not, the very act of giving is what the teachers love. The thought that goes behind it. The visit from the child dressed up in the costume, the way their eyes light up when they see morah. the item that was given is not about the item. Its about the love that comes behind the giving.

now that Ive said that, just want to say I once got a basket with sharpie markers, a new stapler, a good pair of scissors white board markers.. a teachers basket! Seems tacky but honestly it was so appreciated! A devoted Morah can never have enough markers or a good stapler!

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 11:46 pm
MONEY!
There's nothing not useful about that.

I always put away the money and treat myself. This year from my Chanuka tips I got a new purse and wallet. (I needed to replace my old ones which were 10 years old - and looked it!)

justcallmeima

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 11:01 am
I know it sounds cliché, but for me I like something that shows that the parent and /or student appreciate me. So a handwritten card with thought put into it, a picture of the student with a thoughtful quote or something she feels she learned from me, etc... If they want to add food, I prefer something healthy. If they give me junk unfortunately it will go in the garbage. If they feel like giving a gift, I prefer a gift to money or a gift card because it's more personal.

Stars

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 1:04 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
I know it sounds cliché, but for me I like something that shows that the parent and /or student appreciate me. So a handwritten card with thought put into it, a picture of the student with a thoughtful quote or something she feels she learned from me, etc... If they want to add food, I prefer something healthy. If they give me junk unfortunately it will go in the garbage. If they feel like giving a gift, I prefer a gift to money or a gift card because it's more personal.

I always wonder if teachers and therapists are interested in a picture of my child.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 2:11 pm
I always feel bad about the assistants at Purim. For Chanukah, there is a class present given to all the teachers including assistants, and I happily contribute. There is no school arrangement for Purim, and as I have 8 or so kids, I could spend my entire day driving around to teachers in many different neighborhoods on streets that are clogged with people driving the wrong way and dancing drunk people. I usually bring to Hebrew teachers first, and English if I have time. I rarely get around to assistants. It’s a shame, and I wish I could find a way to do it differently, but as it is, the vast majority of my mm are teachers, and not friends/family.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
I always feel bad about the assistants at Purim. For Chanukah, there is a class present given to all the teachers including assistants, and I happily contribute. There is no school arrangement for Purim, and as I have 8 or so kids, I could spend my entire day driving around to teachers in many different neighborhoods on streets that are clogged with people driving the wrong way and dancing drunk people. I usually bring to Hebrew teachers first, and English if I have time. I rarely get around to assistants. It’s a shame, and I wish I could find a way to do it differently, but as it is, the vast majority of my mm are teachers, and not friends/family.

Send it to school the next day. No reason to feel bad - its not for the mitzvah of mm, fine, but they wont be left out. Assistants are the ones who make the classroom function. Dont forget them. Same with english teachers!!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 2:17 pm
I am a teacher and I appreciate a note over anything else! I know some people feel they NEED to give a gift with a note, but really its not so necessary. If the note is genuine than it is enough really.
As for gifts- stick with things like wine, chocolate, gift card for manicure, serving dish....

Gifts I dislike (but appreciate non the less because no parent has to give ANYTHING)
gift card of a small amount to a place where I can't get anything for anywhere near that amount (for example $10 to a jewelry store, $5 to a fancy restaurant, $5 to a boutique etc)
and second- junk food. I really will not eat a bag filled with gushers and lollies, and your childs teacher probably won't either

Bottom line is that parents do not have to give anything, anything given at all is a gift and should be appreciated. It is really the thought that counts. So if you feel silly giving a note without a gift know that a teacher will appreciate that you took the time to give a written expression of hakaras hatov.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics