Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore/Safety?

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 5:55 pm
Hello, all you wonderful resources! We are in the process of trying to move to a larger community, BE"H. My husband has quite a few job possibilities in Baltimore. It sounds like it would be a great match for us, and I'm sure we'll have everything we desire in the way of chinuch and shuls.

What concerns me is that I am an absolute urban wimp. We live in a beautiful, quiet community. I can take the kids for a walk and not really worry about locking the doors. I can go grocery shopping at 10:00 at night (or later!) and not worry one bit about the parking lot or about unloading my car that late at night. Can someone tell me what to expect in Baltimore/Park Heights?? I did live in Oakland, CA for a number of years, which also has many areas that are quite scary, but I was always 5+ miles away from those areas where I was living. While one did have to be more careful than where I currently live, it didn't really affect us personally too much. But I also wouldn't really relish the thought of living back there again for the same reason I'm not sure I could live in Baltimore...

I'm terribly torn right now. Jobs would be better, as would the size of the community...

And if anyone can compare the Baltimore neighborhood to Cleveland/University Heights that would be helpful too. Or if anyone knows of a lovely, quiet, bucolic community of any size, with housing available for around $200K, we're open to suggestions! Right now we're considering St. Louis, Cincinnati (I know, small, like where we live, but great cost of living and job prospects!), Milwaukee, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, Detroit, Minneapolis... Thank you!!!!!!

-The Urban Wimp

Atali

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 7:13 pm
Hi,

I live in Baltimore. There are occasional crime incidents (mainly bikes getting stolen it seems) but is generally quite safe, even in my area (Park Heights). I have gone grocery shopping at 11:00 and am not concerned. It isn't dangerous like Brooklyn. I also let my kids play outside with friends. It is safe enough for them to do so.

Hope that helps.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 7:16 pm
The frum parts of Baltimore are actually pretty safe, even though there are some inner city neighborhoods nearby. There's a neighborhood citizen car patrol every evening (NWCP) that works with the police department, and a 24-hr. citizen's group (Shomrim) that will come if you see anything suspicious. The most common crimes are auto theft and bicycle theft. I often take walks, occasionally in the evening... either it's reasonably safe or G-d protects the foolish.

You can see an interactive crime map by going to this link:
http://wbal.com/news/crime/WBAL crime map

I live in the Cheswolde/Greenpring area, which is generally regarded as safer than Upper Park Heights. Safety does vary by neighborhood, and sometimes by block. We've lived in Baltimore for about 10 years -- it's been a great place to live and raise a family!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 12:59 pm
alpidarkomama wrote:
Cincinnati (I know, small, like where we live, but great cost of living and job prospects!)
(Everyone says this, but it's not much smaller than many of the other places on your list -- it's really B"H growing!)

I come from Cincinnati, live in Baltimore now -- I don't feel unsafe in most places, but then again, I'm not usually out and about so much at night.
The frum community has really taken strides to help with safety issues, and as mentioned, safety varies per neighborhood.
The cheaper housing generally is considered not as safe areas, but don't let that fool you. You can find decent prices in fine areas.

(Still not as cheap as Ohio. And in Ohio you get tuition vouchers. Wink)

BrachaC

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 2:06 pm
I grew up in Baltimore- really in the "hood" Narcissus Ave for fellow Baltimoreans. It did feel like an unsafe neighborhood growing up. We had our bikes stolen, only walked to cars at night with people watching from the house, only took the garbage out with someone watching. For the last 5 years I lived in a real suburban community- quiet, cul de sac..I could walk anywhere at any time. When my husband asked if I would move back to Baltimore, I told him yes, but not to the "hood." We moved into "Indian Village" and I feel safe. I'm not sure how late I would walk alone at night, but it is not an unsafe feeling. I am really liking Baltimore and think we made a good choice. Houses in our neighborhood are listing in the mid- 200's, but at this point I really don't have a handle on what people are actually getting for their homes...Good luck. It's a big decision. Oh, and if safety is your concern then you can take Milwaukee off your list, the affordable housing is all in a very unsafe neighborhood...

Atali

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 2:26 pm
BrachaC wrote:
I grew up in Baltimore- really in the "hood" Narcissus Ave for fellow Baltimoreans. It did feel like an unsafe neighborhood growing up. We had our bikes stolen, only walked to cars at night with people watching from the house, only took the garbage out with someone watching. For the last 5 years I lived in a real suburban community- quiet, cul de sac..I could walk anywhere at any time. When my husband asked if I would move back to Baltimore, I told him yes, but not to the "hood." We moved into "Indian Village" and I feel safe. I'm not sure how late I would walk alone at night, but it is not an unsafe feeling. I am really liking Baltimore and think we made a good choice. Houses in our neighborhood are listing in the mid- 200's, but at this point I really don't have a handle on what people are actually getting for their homes...Good luck. It's a big decision. Oh, and if safety is your concern then you can take Milwaukee off your list, the affordable housing is all in a very unsafe neighborhood...

I think things have gotten better since then in the frum areas. In my area the non-Jews are usually middle-aged or older homeowners who don't commit crimes.

We do have a problem with bikes being stolen, but I don't hesitate to go to my car at any time of night.

queen

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 11:16 pm
park heights is more affordable, but is quite close to the black areas.
greenspring is more pricier, but further away from the blacks.

at the end of the day, NO ONE is safe. We live in golus.
There are plenty of really great blocks with the park heights area completely frum.

However, when mentioning all these other cities you are considering- Baltimore isn't that small of a town, although to those who are not familiar, we do have a name for being a 'small town.'

Although I've never been to those other cities mentioned, THOSE are really small towns. Baltimore is so large it's impossible to walk from one end to the other. OK, thanks in advance to those that will tell me you can. However in general, one does not Very Happy

Baltimore in general is a great town Exclamation Everyone is friendly and will speak to you, even though they never met you before. Waiting in line at stores is quite entertaining speaking to others and getting to learn new tidbits you pick up.

We don't have the social pressures as NY has regarding dressing and keeping up with the Jones' which is a big plus.

hope this helps, we've been here for several years already and are really bH very happy here.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 12:15 am
BrachaC wrote:

hey that's the street my mother grew up on/ grandparents live on!

Detroit housing is cheap cheap cheap. You can get a nice sized ranch for under 100,000, and nicer (VERY nice!), 2 story houses for under 2. Safety is probably the same as Baltimore.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 10:48 am
According to my husband, Cleveland Heights is not the safest of 'hoods either.
And the Ohio tuition vouchers don't work either in all or some of Cleveland; he wasn't sure.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2009, 9:53 am
I also live in Baltimore, and I think that even in the areas around Park Heights avenue are pretty safe. The NWCP and its leadership does a great job of keeping the neighborhood safe. For instance, if someone commits a crime in NWCP territory, they have a great team of people that works with law enforcement and judges to make sure that the guy gets a really harsh sentence. It sends a message to criminals.

Also, there are "better" streets, even within the Park Heights area. For instance, a lady at work lives on Clarinth told me that she doesn't feel so safe, while one block over on Labryinth, people don't really have issues. Also, for instance, Menlo, even though it's one of the furthest streets in the neighborhood, and pretty close to Northern Parkway, is regarded as a pretty safe block. Earlier in the fall, we were seriously considering a house in that area-- near the Aguda of Park Heights, and I spoke to a lot of ppl in the area. people said that the area is much better now then when they moved in 10, 12, 15 yrs ago, etc.

Also, now there is a police training academy right at the edge of the neighborhood, by pimlico-- it's an important presence here.

I have only lived in big cities my whole life, and I don't think that Baltimore is any worse than any other place.

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:37 am
Thank you to everyone for your replies! I've also since spoken in person and by private e-mails to many, many individuals and you all have been very, very helpful. Baruch hashem, my husband is getting many interviews, so we're hoping to be making a decision sometime soon, BE"H. I'm so glad we have imamother for a resource!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating