Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anne of green gables - the whole series
1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:40 am
does anyone know if all of the books come together or you just buy them separately?

I just finished watching anne of green gables and the sequel and I just found out that it is nothing like the books, so I would love to read the books.

it was a wonderful story.

shosh

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:52 am
I grew up with Anne. There are about ten or fifteen in total if I remember rightly, and you can read all about Anne's childhood, her growing up, going to college, and even getting married. The last in the series was Rilla of Ingleside, all about Anne's daughter. I loved all of them, I think apart from Anne of Windy Willows. They were entertaining, well-written, and certainly very tzniusdik. I started reading them when I was about 12 or 13 and they gave me great pleasure.

shosh

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:54 am
Thinking about it, I wonder if all of them are still in print. I seem to remember having to order some them from the public library and it took a while for them to get hold of them. And that was in England more than 20 years ago. I don't know how easily you could get hold of them here in Israel, although you could try Amazon or Barnes and Noble if you are really sold on them, I guess!

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:55 am
Anne of Windy Poplars is the 4th I think? I also found it rather slow. I remember actually visiting Green Gables when we were in PEI one summer. (Aah, the advantages of being Canadian!) Definitely a Canadian tradition...I think it was in the curriculum as mandatory reading one year. I'm sure you can buy them both separately and in boxed sets. Try one of the Canadian sites rather than US. Amazon.ca, Chapters.ca...

Last edited by Marion on Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

pinktichel

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:59 am
I got them at Barnes & Nobles in the states, sold separately. Truthfully, I loved the first one but I thought the others weren't as good.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:27 am
The onlinebookspage.com has some online. of course it's more enjoyable to read an actual book. I used to borrow them from the library and a couple of them like Rainbow Valley (I enjoyed that one) and Anne of ingleside were lying around the house for a while. The only one I haven't read is Anne of windy poplars - it didn't interest me.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:29 am
Yes, Shosh, they are all still in print. Easiest to find in Canada and (believe it or not) Japan -- both in English and in Japanese translation.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 2:52 am
wow, thanks guys. im going to check it out:)

shosh

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 4:13 am
That's so funny. I was thinking what's this "windy poplars," and I see that in England, Australia, and Japan it was called "Windy Willows," which was, incidentally, the book's original name! Not that it matters - it was the only one I never got into as it was all letters and not as interesting as the others, which l loved.

Btw, anyone ever read "Emily at New Moon," the author's other masterpiece? I think it was also a series, but maybe only a trilogy. It was less famous, but also a good read, and apparently the author herself preferred Emily as a heroine to Anne.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 4:21 am
I never read Emily...but the CBC had a long running family series (a period piece, obviously) based on the series. I didn't like Emily as much as I liked Anne Shirley, but it could have been a result of the casting too. Megan Follows had a LOT of character!

soulful music

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 6:23 am
Did anyone read the Blue Moon,by the same author? I loved it.

tzipp

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 7:06 am
I think read every book by that author! I loved those books as a kid.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 7:19 am
tzel wrote:

never heard of the book. Are you sure you got the title right? Do you mean The Blue Castle?
Shosh yeah I was getting confused about the willows.

soulful music

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 12:29 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:

never heard of the book. Are you sure you got the title right? Do you mean The Blue Castle?

Yes you're right The Blue Castle. LOL

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 12:59 pm
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:

Yes I really liked it! Its also online btw.

AMMom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:02 pm
I love Anne of Green Gables... Just curious if any of you would recommend Anne of Green Gables to a boy...

soulful music

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:27 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:
Aidelmom wrote:
tzel wrote:

Yes I really liked it! Its also online btw.

Do you actually read it online?
Where do you need to go to find it?

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 1:32 pm
Emily is based on LMM herself while Anne is more of a Mary Sue type character.

The Blue Castle was good. My favorite was Kilmeny of the Orchard -- touching, beautiful!

patriot

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:23 pm
I go wild over her writing style!! she has such a way with words, I read, and reread her books.

zigi

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 3:39 pm
I also liked jane of lantern hill and the story girl.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room