Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Salad Recipes Needed (no tomato, pepper, eggplant or potato)
1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 8:08 pm
Hi! I need some recipes and ideas for salads that don't contain any tomatoes, peppers, eggplant or potatoes.
(Something with grape tomatoes is ok, because as long as they're not cut open, I can pick them out. But I prefer recipes that don't call for any of these veggies, which I cannot eat.)
If any of you want the recipes that I have so far, let me know and I will post them.
Thanks in advance!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:04 pm
aahhh youre on no nightshade veggies?

My best salad yet is a lettuce mix with cucumbers and grape tmatoes cut in, with croutons and ceasar dressing.

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:16 pm
How about cut up cucumbers, chickpeas, purple onion with a mayo type dressing. You can improvise with that as a base.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:31 pm
the cucumber salad, corn salad, three bean salad, chinese cabbage salad or regular old cole slaw

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:39 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
the cucumber salad, corn salad, three bean salad, chinese cabbage salad or regular old cole slaw

Do you have an actual recipes for these, particularly the corn and three bean salad?
I'm kind of partial on cabbage, but I would love a chinese cabbage salad or cole slaw recipe that would knock the socks off my feet.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:39 pm
TheBeinoni wrote:
How about cut up cucumbers, chickpeas, purple onion with a mayo type dressing. You can improvise with that as a base.

Sounds great! Do you think this would work with a tehina dressing? I don't love mayo.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:45 pm
My favorite is any leaves with avocado slices, some lemon juice to keep it fresh. You can add a can of chickpeas for protein and some mandarin slices (someone posted a chop chop salad here, yum). Shredded carrots is also a great filler and very colorful. Are you on the SCD diet?

For dressing, try hummus, or salsa, or honey+soy sauce, amazing.

btMOMtoFFBs

Cucumber salad is in purple spice and spirit.

I don't eat 3 bean salad myself, so no recipe to recommend, but it came to mind as meeting your criteria.

Coleslaw: I just buy a bag of shredded cabbage and add mayo, salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice.

Chinese cabbage salad, (my absolute fave!) I have a recipe in my recipe box, but I can't get to it now. Bli neder, I will find it for you.

ra_mom

Mama Bear wrote:
aahhh youre on no nightshade veggies?

My best salad yet is a lettuce mix with cucumbers and grape tmatoes cut in, with croutons and ceasar dressing.

Yup, I've been nightshade free for 8 months now.
One of my salads is a caesar inspired salad (I made up a dressing with no mayo, I don't like mayonnaise very much) with an iceberg lettuce mix, sliced red onion (sometimes I add avocado, yum). And then I throw in whole grape tomatoes for the family, and I pick those out.
Another is a lemony dill carrot salad. Mightly delicious.
And an Asian salad of romaine lettuce, edamme soybeans, sliced red onion, chunks of oranges... with a salty/sweet soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, mustard dressing. Really, really nice.
And of course, traditional cucumber salad.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:48 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
My favorite is any leaves with avocado slices, some lemon juice to keep it fresh. You can add a can of chickpeas for protein and some mandarin slices (someone posted a chop chop salad here, yum). Shredded carrots is also a great filler and very colorful. Are you on the SCD diet?

For dressing, try hummus, or salsa, or honey+soy sauce, amazing.

Sounds great. Love avocado, but it usually goes so well with tomatoes (sigh).
No, not SCD, nightshade-free.
Honey plus soy sauce sounds great. What salad would you put that dressing on?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:50 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
Cucumber salad is in purple spice and spirit.

I don't eat 3 bean salad myself, so no recipe to recommend, but it came to mind as meeting your criteria.

Coleslaw: I just buy a bag of shredded cabbage and add mayo, salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice.

Chinese cabbage salad, (my absolute fave!) I have a recipe in my recipe box, but I can't get to it now. Bli neder, I will find it for you.

Let me know about the Chinese salad. Also, the 3 bean salad recipes and corn salads that I have seen have peppers in them. Any suggestions?
Also, does anyone have an exact amount cole slaw salad recipe? Since I do not like cabbage or mayo too much, I need exact amounts if I want to make it. I wouldn't even know where to start with the measurements. Thanks.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
leaves, plus grape tomato, purple onion, and grilled chicken breast cut in strips! believe me, life is fair without tomato. haven't had one in 4 years and don't miss the symptoms!

msym

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:06 pm
waht is the nightshade thingy?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:33 pm
msym wrote:
waht is the nightshade thingy?

These are all vegetables that are part of the night-shade family, which cause inflammation.
For people with inflammitory diseases, sometimes being on a nightshade free diet can be very helpful.
I don't eat tomatoes, peppers (including paprika, cayenne), potatoes (sweet potatoes are ok), eggplant or coffee. I stay away from anything that says "spices" without specifying what they are. I have to make my own duck sauce, mustard... Hot dogs have paprika too.

Nightshades: A family of plants, the Solanaceae, characterized by alternate leaves, usually five-petaled flowers, and many-seeded fruits and including the eggplant, tomato, potato, and belladonna as well as the nightshades, capsicum peppers, tobaccos, and petunias.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:35 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
leaves, plus grape tomato, purple onion, and grilled chicken breast cut in strips! believe me, life is fair without tomato. haven't had one in 4 years and don't miss the symptoms!

Thanks!
(Btw, I have a tomato-free "ketchup" recipe and barbeque sauce recipe, if you are interested.)

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 4:46 am
My favorite cole slaw is cabbage, vegetable oil, salt, lime juice, and cilantro. It's also delicious on a bean or fish taco. I also do a dressing for cabbage that is equal parts rice vinegar and sesame oil, with salt, sugar, and fresh grated ginger added to taste.

Carrot and raisin salad w/mayo
cold peas, carrots, and parsnips cubed w/mayo
cucumber salad (cukes marinated in rice vinegar, salt, and sugar; optional onions)
pear, avocado, pecan, spinach salad w/vinaigrette
marinated mushroom salad

That's what is at the top of my head...

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 4:48 am
[/quote] Another is a lemony dill carrot salad. Mightly delicious. And an Asian salad of romaine lettuce, edamme soybeans, sliced red onion, chunks of oranges... with a salty/sweet soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, mustard dressing. Really, really nice.[/quote]

WOW! These sound good! Can you post recipes??

meirav

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 4:50 am
I can't imagine being on such a diet because these are basically my favorite vegetables!!

I didn't see anyone mention Euro salad - romaine lettuce with fruit like strawberries and mango cubes, with glazed almonds and a sweetish dressing.

My mother makes a carrot apple salad on Pesach. It's more of a dessert than a side dish - grated apples and carrots, mix with sugar and orange, lemon or lime juice.

I know these have fruit in them, and are sweet - not sure if that's what you're looking for.

entropy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 4:54 am
I've found that a good substitution for tomato in salads is strawberry or watermellon.

(feel free to report this post for blasphemous use of strawberry Wink )

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:13 am
we had a persian meal once and I found a recipe online for cucumber and pomegranate salad. the cucumbers are cut really small. I think the dressing was mint, lemon juice, oil and salt.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics