Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Nittel Nacht
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 5:03 pm
I worded it wrong....chess yes, I think its fine. how is it kavodick shabbos though not to give over devrai torah?

sara

dina

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 10:53 am
proudmom,

I looked in chapters 16 and 17 in shar hakedusha of reshis chochma and couldn't find what you said about not having relations on nittel nacht. 16 and 17 are long chapters so maybe I missed it. please tell me what page it's in.

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 11:05 am
I learned this before I got married, so I will have to get back to you on this one

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 11:10 am
In R' Fishel Jacobs' book, it's on page 147 and his footnote-source is Teshuvos U'beorim b'Shulchan Aruch p. 416

sara1b

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 12:56 pm
they chose the date because back in the day winter soltace was celebrated on the 21st so they moved the date and called it another name to be simplistic-I have always been tickled by how few no this-

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:30 pm
huh?
where did you get that from?

if its not the actual day of anything then why is it such a big deal to learn torah on that day?
it must have some significance.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:45 pm
although the date was arbitrarily picked, it has become THE Christian holiday, and therefore kelipos abound

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 4:00 pm
BTW, many people observe nittel on January 6, since that's the Greek/Russian Orthodox date for the holiday. I know that's when my father observes it. We always loved nittel, because that was the one night in the year when my father didn't run out in the evening to his chavrusa and would play games with us. Hmm..loving nittel. Confused

Henya

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 4:00 pm
Guess what? My birthday is on December 25th. That year it also happened to be the first night of Chanukah. (My mother was 3 1/2 weeks overdue with me!!). All the staff told my mother what a "holy" baby I was. There was 1 Jewish doctor who wished her Happy Chanukah. She felt so good-at least one person didn't tell her how holy I was!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 5:13 pm
Henya, you ARE holy, b/c your'e Jewish & b/c you were born on the 1st day of Chanuka!!! Wink

Most people I know do not even notice dec 25th.

there are people who don't learn both days

and some - all the days inbetween (it actually would have been a funny joke if it wasn't tru)

I know if it falls on Chanuka, people try to minimise the festivities, so it wouldn't look like they selebrate x.

Actually, yoshka's b/day is about 300 yrs off, and he was born in spring; and the entire calendar system is off!!! (What a joke on them all!!!)

B the way, years we count (and the # of the month, and days) - are from the supposed birth day of yoshka: 2004 yrs 12 mnth from the birth of the mamzer.

so every time one uses numerical format for a date.......

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 10:18 am
look at the hayom yom from today

=======================
"T O D A Y ' S D A Y"
=======================

The reason for not studying Torah on Nittel-night, (1) I heard from my father, is to avoid adding vitality.

My father once said: Those diligent students who begrudge those eight hours and cannot tear themselves away from study - I am not fond of them. This (abstaining from study) applies only until midnight.

Footnote: (1) The non-Jewish festival commonly celebrated on
December 25th.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 11:36 am
I need some help here:

We know that even for a second the Torah study will stop, the world will sease to exist......

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 12:03 pm
that is why there is different time zones. when one part of the world is sleeping the other part of the world is up. so it is impossible for the entire world not learn torah

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 6:17 pm
Nittel Nacht is Sun. nt this year.

please read previous pages before posting! thank you
Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 6:44 pm
We have two lechaims tomorrow night.

One is called for very early, to do the maamer before shkiah. The other one is going on as schedule; I wonder if they realized what day is it...

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 7:40 pm
Motek wrote:
do you think NO Jews were born on Dec. 25?!

my mother was.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:12 pm
why should there be any connection to chrismas with our divrei torah or learning? it makes no sense to me. who cares if there is negative energy? it is the non jewish energy, so what does that have to do with US learning torah?

mumoo

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 8:30 pm
no one knows the real birthday because it wasn't important. remember the man was turned into a realigion hundreds of years after he died

btw, I just learned that the fat jolly red guy was invented by coca-cola as an advertising thing. based on some old world scary character (you'd better watch out, you better not cry....) and made him happy, friendly and made him match coca colas logo

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 3:14 am
Why does the non jewish date have anything to do with us at all? I really wouldn't care if I had a baby on Dec 25th; we never use our secular birthdays anyway.

Why go as far as the world will cease to exist if no-one learns Torah (so I see non-Chassidim have a role as well). A mitzva aseih midoraisa (positive Torah mitzva) isn't enough??? It is an aveira every moment a Jewish man is not learning Torah (unlesss he is doing something needed to enable him to do so e.g. eat, sleep, earn a parnassa etc).

batya_d

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 4:58 am
mumoo wrote:

btw, I just learned that the fat jolly red guy was invented by coca-cola as an advertising thing. based on some old world scary character (you'd better watch out, you better not cry....) and made him happy, friendly and made him match coca colas logo

Well, there was always a Father Xmas with similar Santa-like characteristics in Europe, with the customs depending on the country-- the only one I know is the German one, since I lived there-- A few days before Xmas is S. Nicholastag, when kids leave a shoe out in front of the door, and when they wake up it's filled it sweets from S. Nicholas.

But from what I gathered in Germany, there is no "Santa fallacy" with parents lying about the jolly old man bringing the presents. The family exchanges presents, period. It's much more traditional.

I don't like the idea of parents lying to their kids about Santa bringing the gifts. It's just weird. The jury is still out on whether I'll feed my future IY"H kids the tooth fairy line.

But you are correct, our American image of Santa (robust, jolly and red) was from the coke can. Interestingly enough, the historical S. Nicholas was known for being rail-thin.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics