Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Nittel Nacht
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

frootloops

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:06 am
Quote:
BTW, talking of the Chatam Sofer there is a famous story with him. A wealthy non-Jew (maybe even someone like a prince, I forget the details) sent him a picture of a pig. In return the CS sent him a portrait of himself (the CS). When the non-Jew queried what he had done the CS replied: You were kind enough to send me a picture of yourself so I have done the same

this story happened withthe Malbim and a reform Jew who sent him a picture of a pig.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:30 am
The previous two reasons are mostly applicable to great tzaddikim and individuals on a high level.,

but the main reason is as we will see from the concern that through learning itself, we will add chayus, sustenance to the kelipos which are very strong on this night.

shalhevet wrote:
Anyway, seems like you need to ask your rav which shitta to go by as to which date is nittel . There are at least 3 different deias amongst the Xians. Maybe you should be machmir and keep all three.
Since it's the actions and observances of the non jews that cause this surge in kelipah, it goes by their date, whenever they observe it. so that if in Russia, it's a different date, that's when nitel is observed there.

Here is another explanation which several Achronim have brought about abstaining from learning on the eve of "nitel":
Quote:
In Yoreh Deah, 148, in the notation of the Remah, that "someone who entered a city and found the non jews rejoicing on the day of their festival, should be happy with them because of enimity (not provoking their enimity) and still, a baal nefesh will distance himself from rejoicing with them, if he will be able to do this without causing enimity about it". It is possible to say that on this night our forefathers abstained from going to the batei medrashos, from the point of "why should you be seen - noticeable -", that it shouldn't appear that they are participating in the simcha of the non jews.

Similarly, Achronim bring another reason:
Quote:
that non jews who got drunk on the nights of their festivals were likely to break into shuls and batei midrash, and do harm. Also in the "cultured" lands, the Sages of Israel were concerned that Jews shouldn't mix with the non jews and learn from their deeds, and therefore remained at home, and even went to sleep, and fulfilled the verse "hide for like a moment until wrath shall pass". Only after Chatzos, when the non jews already lay drunk wallowing in their filth, then the Talmidei Chachomim rose to do their Avodas haBorei.

The Rebbe also brings this minhag
Quote:
"That in the Middle Ages there was (another) reason, because of the sakanah on this "night of their misfortune" (non-jewish festival), they would ambush Jews in the streets and beat them, and therefore they (Rabbis) decreed that they shouldn't go to the Yeshivos etc. (brought from Likutei HaPardes), and according to this reason the Rebbe decides "It is enough for bittul Torah one night alone (and only till Chatzos)" ( it appears that the reference is to the Rebbe RaShab, who is quoted in haYom Yom)

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:38 am
However, the main reason remains that which is brought in sifrei Chassidus - not to add chayus to kelipos.

As an example, in a note in the sefer "Darchei Chaim V'Shalom" that was quoted above (?) it's brought in the name of a sefer "Regel Yeshara" from the Bnei Yissaschar ztzal, that on the night of the season the oso haish was killed, who was the kelipah of the orev(raven), which it's source is from the kelipah of kelev(dog) and adds: "and we have heard from preachers of truth that on several occasions that they learned on the night of nittel (n'tilaso v'akiroso- of the oiso ha'ish - min haolam) a dog came to their homes. and 'minhag Yisrael Torah hi'."

It is understood then, that the night of the festival of the Christians, on which a severe kelipah dominates, it isn't an appropriate time for matters of kedusha, since during the time that forces of kelipah dominate, they are capable of grabbing from the kochos of Kedusha, and therefore one should beware not to add koach and chayus to these keliposchalila .

But all this is only till chatzos, and it's known what's explained in the seforim that after chatzos there is no concern, that the Torah will add chayus in kelipos, because it's an auspicious time, when the neshoma is more pure.

To sum up, What it says in HaYom Yom, of 17 Teves:" that which the custom is not to learn on Nittel, I have heard from my saintly father (the Rebbe RaSHaB N"E) the reason, that it's in order not to increase chayus. Once my saintly father said: The masmidim which the 8 hours affects them personally, I don't like them. and this is only till midnight. (Chatzos)."

There is a letter from the Rebbe that deals with the question of whether the minhag begins at sunset, or nightfall. (igros Kodesh vol. 14 pg 352).

and where this minhag applies:

In a letter from 9 Teves 5735 the Rebbe says: "there is place to say, that the meaning not to increase chayus - is in 'him', and his followers (the oso ha'ish) [and according to this its understood that by Jews who live in the lands of the Ishmaelic religion this minhag does not exist, and see further from Likutei haPardes]".

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:40 am
minhagim of Gedolei Yisrael and Tzaddikim connected with nittel. To be cont.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:44 am
What is recomended to spend this night doing?

The gedolei haachronim wrestled with this question. Most of them spoke against playing cards and other frivolous pastimes. In Kedushas Levi, he speaks against playing cards on Chanukah, since they have a big kelipah which is not even allowed to be named/mentioned., and is understood that its even more out at a time when kelipos are stronger, and the danger of being drawn to kelipah is greater.

There are some who allow learning sifrei mussar, and rely on R. Sholom of Belz' reasoning that the main idea is to be attached to HKBH at this time. There is a nice remez to this in the passuk that it says about Yosef HaTzaddik: " Vyehi hayom". Rashi translates "the day of their misfortune" "and he came to the house to do his work", and in targum "to check the accounts". Tis can be expounded thus: He came to do a cheshbon -nefesh and with this he intended to defeat the forces of kelipah that are (inherent) on the day of their festival. And according to this, it is possible to say that at this time it is appropriate to confess and be aroused to teshuvah, and to do a cheshbon nefesh.

However, according to the inner taam and the main one, not to add koach to kelipaos, it's understood that it aplies also to learning sifrei mussar. What then, is posiible and appropriate to do?- There were those who suggested to read the biographies and histories of Gedolei Yisrael in order to be inspired to emulate them. Others wrote that it can be arranged on this night to be involved with different mitzvos, as deeds of charity and kindness, honoring parents, and others that there is often not enough time for.

Rabbi Wineberg, who gives a shiur of Tanya on the radio, was instructed by the Rebbe to tell stories of the Rebbeim, when it came out on nitel.

For several years, it was the Rebbe's custom to watch a film that was brought over from the Soviet Union, in which Jews are seen farbrenging, etc. and the Rebbe once asked to show this film to the Yeshiva bochurim on that night , since it was nittel.

The Rebbe spoke about playing chess and sewing clothes, and brought out lessons that we can learn from the game chess. The Rebbe said that the very knowledge of how the Rebbe RaShab N"E conducted himself on "nittel" can serve as an opportunity to about use the time to picture the the holy countenance of the Rebbe N"E, the founder of Tomchei Temimim in one's mind, which will add to Ahavah and Yirah etc. in order to emulate him

All the above has been translated (freely), or excerpted from the magazine "Aspaklaryah", a supplement to Kfar Chabad magazine, issue 1216 (1 Teves 5767) The article is on page 5, by Rabbi Yisrael Alfenbein

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, Dec 25 2006, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

slimnglam

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:22 pm
proudmom wrote:
of course there were jews that were born then, it is a horrible day to be born on.

Why do you say it's a horrible day to born on ?

proudmom wrote:
whats is wrong with september 11? My son was born exactly a year later the whole tragedy happened in NY.

What would u have said if your son was born on the 25th? Would your quote have been "what's wrong with being born on the 25th?"

Do we pick the day we're born?

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:55 pm
Tz"uR, thanx for taking the time to write this all up. It cracks me up how you save space for later. LOL
Looking forward to reading.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 2:52 pm
All the sources which have been brought seem to show:

Either-
People shouldn't learn before midnight so that they can sleep and have strength to get up at midnight to learn the rest of the night. In that case I stand corrected - it obviously causes no bittul Torah. Is this what your husbands do? (Chasam Sofer source and others that TzenaUrena brought)

Or-
It was dangerous to go outside in Xian countries on those nights. So they didn't go and learn in the Beis Midrash. I didn't see anything there about not learning at home. Would this apply today?

Tzena - who are the Achronim who you quoted?

fruitloops - you are definitely right. My mistake.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 3:28 pm
Quote:

Perhaps because the hospital will be very empty (of drs etc) on the 25th? One of my kids was due this time of year; I was terrified to go into labour on the 25th.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 3:32 pm
Quote:
Tzena - who are the Achronim who you quoted?

Unfortunately the article has no footnotes, but if anyone wants to find out, they can e-mail the editor at kfar chabad magzine. the author is Rabbi Y. Alfenbein. magazine@chabad.israel.net

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 4:48 pm
Quote:
the Chasam Sofer wrote:

Ladies, we have a new member to welcome! LOL

Anyway, I definitely hope I won't go into labour during shabbes, because I know it would cause many people to be mechallel shabbes (I don't see how my husband or parents would stay at home in this situation, even with shabbes).
As for being at hospital for shabbes, I am already worrying about how I'll deal with the lights since it will be a room for 2. Not to mention I'm sure my family would be unable to abstain from visiting.

I also hope for no bris on shabbes, because I can't think of anyone (including us) who would be able to walk to another town by foot... there would also be problems for the mohel. Anyway I have heard of people pushing the bris for that, still waiting for an answer from my rav but he doesn't seem impatient to answer.

B'h baby naming has no set day & no pidion ha ben for a bas Cohen, but yeah.... any idea for other situations?

Mod2

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 5:33 pm
Mod2 here. I am asking you ladies even those that don't agree to be respectful of others minhagim and shitas.

Thanks for your cooperation, in helping us keep imamother a warm friendly place.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 7:53 pm
Is everybody celebrating "Merry _____mas" LOL

amother

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:36 pm
Raisin wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps because the hospital will be very empty (of drs etc) on the 25th? One of my kids was due this time of year; I was terrified to go into labour on the 25th.

I actually had false labor on the day of the 25th, it was so great to walk into the empty halls and have the doctors and nurses having room and patience for you.

Funny enough, I was there just a few days prior, and it was packed, seemed to me that everyone had planned to have their X-Mas babies and be home in time for the Holidays, VIA C-sections... Rolling Eyes !!

So who's planning on having their baby b4 the New Year, I hear you get back more taxes that way... shock !!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:58 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Quote:
the Chasam Sofer wrote:

Ladies, we have a new member to welcome! LOL

Anyway, I definitely hope I won't go into labour during shabbes, because I know it would cause many people to be mechallel shabbes (I don't see how my husband or parents would stay at home in this situation, even with shabbes).
As for being at hospital for shabbes, I am already worrying about how I'll deal with the lights since it will be a room for 2. Not to mention I'm sure my family would be unable to abstain from visiting.

I also hope for no bris on shabbes, because I can't think of anyone (including us) who would be able to walk to another town by foot... there would also be problems for the mohel. Anyway I have heard of people pushing the bris for that, still waiting for an answer from my rav but he doesn't seem impatient to answer.

B'h baby naming has no set day & no pidion ha ben for a bas Cohen, but yeah.... any idea for other situations?

Your husband can come with you in the taxi, but unfortunately your parents can't. And you are allowed to ask nurses to turn lights off/on on shabbos since you will be a cholah sheyesh bo sakanah.

chavamom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 11:21 pm
Yes, there are a lot of scheduled inductions and c/sec's the week between X-mas and the 1st. They don't want to be in the hosptial for the holidays and they want to get the tax break for the year.

ny21

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 11:44 pm
the moshgiach from my sons barmitzah jsut had a baby Dec 25 th

Now WHO is minding the store . Rolling Eyes

I also read that yushka (learned that is school ) birthday was not

dec 25 its in April.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 29 2006, 12:19 pm
lol, nmomoftwins....maybe you need to help out.

mali

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 3:08 pm
miriam wrote:
My daughter's due date last year was Dec. 25. We were not too happy about this so we told everyone that the due date was Dec. 26. We didn't want our child to have any closeness to this date.
I never heard that having a baby on that day is a problem. We only don't have marital relations that night. Does anyone know what you do when Mikva night falls out on Nittel?

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 8:03 pm
mali wrote:
Does anyone know what you do when Mikva night falls out on Nittel?

If this is something you are choshesh for, you wait until after chatzos.

shalhevet wrote:
All the sources which have been brought seem to show:

Either-
People shouldn't learn before midnight so that they can sleep and have strength to get up at midnight to learn the rest of the night. ... Or It was dangerous to go outside in Xian countries on those nights. So they didn't go and learn in the Beis Midrash...

You missed the main point which was quoted several times which is not to give chayus to kelipos.

A macha'a is made when you denigrate a Jewish practice, period. No sources have to be offered at all (though they were). If frum Jews have a practice, minhag yisrael torah hee.

Since your knee-jerk reaction is to denigrate a Jewish practice and only when sources are offered do you have to back down, seems that you ought to be doing some soul-searching as to why you, someone who prides herself on supporting Torah study, finds herself automatically disparaging frum Jews such as the Steipler, the Maharsha, the Chasam Sofer and their practices.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics