Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Starting solids fish

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 5:29 am
Does anyone know when it's safe to start fish like salmon? DS is 6.5 mths and just starting solids, which I'm making myself. I would bake it and then blend it. Someone told me to wait until a year for fish bec kids can be very allergic to it. Has anyone else seen this for themselves? TIA

elisecohen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 7:27 am
Fish is one of the very allergenic foods, along with egg white, nuts, peanuts, wheat, dairy, and soy (and shellfish, but that's not really our concern). Most doctors recommend holding off on introducing egg, nuts and peanuts, but that's largely because those who have allergies to those foods tend to have serious allergy responses. Many newborns are put on dairy or soy formulas, obviously, despite their potentials as allergens.

I would be more concerned about the possibility of mercury in the salmon, so I'd definitely recommend talking to the pediatrician before starting this. If you're concerned about protein intake, breast milk and formula have plenty of protein at this age, and there are safer foods like yogurt (assuming no dairy allergy). Baby cereals are commonly iron-fortified if that's your concern.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'm just curious how you came up with the idea of introducing salmon at this early age? Most babies are still just dabbling in fruits, veggies and cereals as their "solids."

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 10:23 am
I used the frozen sole and both our babies loved it!

mother48

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 11:02 am
fish should not be given at 6 mo, wait until almost, a year for sure.

timeout

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 12:10 pm
My husbands family does not give fish till children can speak in my case it's very hard since my daughter who is almost 2 still isn't speaking Confused

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 1:33 pm
Timeout, why is that? Not, why isn't she speaking, but why do you not give fish to a child who doesn't speak?

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 1:41 pm
I've heard al pi kabala not until a year and that was exactly what my dr. said.

timeout

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 2:56 pm
It's my DH's familys Minhag they are chassidishe and honestly I don't know the reason.

Since I don't come from that backround the first time with my son who is now 4-1/2 K'H I was about to give him fish when he was little and my mother in law nearly fainted and said oh my you are not aloud to give fish like I should know this and I think my DH told me why but I totally blocked it out embarrassed

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 4:15 pm
Being that I didn't feed solids until a year anyway, I guess it didn't matter.

imanut

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 5:22 pm
I gave it at a year. fish like salmon is good for a baby's brain development so it's also good to eat it yourself and the infant can get it thru your milk.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 5:52 pm
Here is the EPA's statement on fish consumption for pregnant women and young children:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html

And a quote from wholesomebabyfood.com http://www.wholesomebabyfood.c.....l.htm
"Fish, specifically shellfish and "boney" fish, are known allergens for an infant. It is often recommended to introduce fish only after a baby has reached 1 year of age. Many sources suggest waiting until after 3 years old. Still, other sources say that introducing fish to a baby at 9-10 months old is perfectly safe. Shellfish should not be introduced to a child who may be allergy prone until around 3 years old or even older. " (for the rest of their statement, follow the link)

And from Parenting.com's Ask Dr. Sears section:
"Shape young tastes. These are the three most important words of early infant feeding... By 9 months of age, babies should be given any fruits and vegetables you want them to develop a taste for... While some experts don't think children should be fed seafood until about 3 years of age, I personally believe it's safe — and necessary to combat the Omega-3 deficiencies prevalent in American children today. Beginning around 9 months of age, slip a few slivers of salmon into your son's diet..." see the rest of the quote at
http://www.parenting.com/paren......html

ektsm

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 6:18 pm
IT's really important to follow these guidlines because you don't want the baby to G-d forbid have a bad allergic r(x).

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 12:27 am
Thanks for all the info. I guess I will wait until he's a year.
Even though he is only just starting solids, he is so into it. The 1st time we gave him solids we gave sweet potato. Everyone said- oh he might have a teaspoon the 1st time. Well, I started giving it to him and my dh watching and I were just cracking up. LOL He was gobbling it down. It was so funny, he was eating as if he hadn't eaten in years Rolling Eyes , grabbing the spoon and shoving it into his mouth and inbetween spoons he would open his mouth, lean foward and almost pant LOL And he had like 3 tablespoons worth. And he's been eating like that since once a day (with the babysitter). So I thought obviously he was very ready for solids maybe we should start real food soon (still pureed but not just veggies).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics