Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Never co slept with baby?
1  2  Next

youngmom

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 8:50 pm
has anyone (aside from myself) never co slept with their baby?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 9:26 pm
I haven't. Except for maybe once or twice when the baby would fall asleep while nursing, but that would be called unintentional, not co-sleeping.

stem

Me! I never co-slept, and probably never will.

chocolate moose

me!

raizy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 12:50 am
I never coslept intential. but the newborn crib is bye my head so I can see him her breathing at all times. u can call that whatever u want.

youngmom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 1:09 am
I actually tried to get my baby to sleep with me once or twice but it just didn't work. I don't know how people do it.

deedee

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 2:14 am
for me it was natural. I tried to put her in the crib when she was just born but I couldnt sleep if she was not next to me, it just didnt feel right.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:59 am
I am of the ilk that is adamantly against co-sleeping. I feel that every child should have his or her own bed, and mommy and daddy should have their own beds too. While it must be yummy and cozy to co sleep with your babies, it becomes a habit that becomes harder to break the older they get. You can't suddenly teach a 2 year old that this is Mommy's bed and you should sleep in your own. What if you have another one 18 months later? Do you spend half of your pregnancy fighting with the child to sleep in her own bed? IN addition, doesn't it impact marital intimacy? We were stressed out with the baby in the ROOM, never mind bed! Besides for all that, the danger of accidentally smothering or dropping the baby ch'v terrifies me so, that I would not be able to sleep a wink all night long. There have been select times where my baby would not go back to sleep in the morning (say, past 6:30) and I would take him into my bed with me ,but then he would sleep on top of me or in the crook of my arm and covered with my blanket so he couldnt slip, while resting the top of his head under my chin, so I could feel him breathing. and even then I sleep very lightly, waking every minute or so to check him. maybe if you have 48" beds and the baby sleeps in a moses basket or co sleeper I can see how it's safe. but I have a 39" bed and the bed is against a hot radiator, so it's as unsafe as can be, and visions of my baby ch'v flying off my bed onto the floor below just keep me from co sleeping. For the first six months of his life he slept in a portacrib between our beds and I was able to hear his every breath and see his every move. Now we have moved him into his own room in a big crib, and as hard as the transition was, it's much better for all of us! He sleeps through the night, we have our freedom to be intimate back, and I sleep more soundly too. He likes the quiet of his own room, and I can clean my room for Pesach while he sleeps. We cuddle every morning and there are times I put him to sleep on my bed, but co sleeping - never. I'm afraid of it and can't even imagine how mothers feel safe this way. I've heard stories of babies drowning in negal vasser bowls and mothers rolling over their babies ch'v. I worked so hard to have this baby, so if there's a 1% chance that something could happen to him through my fault, I'm not taking it. He sleeps on his back even though it flattened his head and I check on him every few minutes during the day. I'm a paranoid safety freak...

shoy18

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 10:53 am
from the day we brought our son home he slept in his own room in his own crib, I am completly against co-sleeping

willow

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 11:11 am
my baby sleeps wherever convient for me. Her cradle, my chest, my bed...I have tosay in the beggining it was hard to have her with me in bed b/c scary but now it's our favorite thing. Very Happy

Ahuva

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:44 am
my baby has been sleeping in his own room in his own big crib since he was six wks. old. up unitl then he slept in a basinett between our two beds. I am very much against co sleeping I think the baby sleeps a lot better in his own room.

deedee

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:34 pm
why are u so against co sleeping? ur baby was INSIDE you for 9 mts and the min it comes out u put it in a separate lonely space, dont u think ur baby might feel alianated? for 9 mts he was used to sleeping in ur body with the comfort of all ur bodily noises and now u think he sleeps better all by himself in a crib?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:38 pm
Yup.

My baby is supersocial and even if we share a room on vacation or something, we're up all night trying to explain that it's bedtime, it's not playtime...

Also, I think everyone needs his/her own space to call their own. Even if children share a room, each has his/her own bed and personal space.

deedee

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:45 pm
ya gotta do what is best for ur baby. I was just wondering why ahuva was so against it.
even while I co slept with daughter she always had a crib and I would show it to her and tell her this is ur bed and this is mommys bed. she was gradually 'weaned' over to sleeping in her crib. she is 2 now and sleeps really well in her crib. s/t she will wake in the middle of the nite (for her Wink ) and not go back down-she says 'I want to go to mommys bed'. so I put her back to sleep in my bed then move her when I go to sleep. I loved sleeping with her when she was a baby (I have a big bed), to roll over in the morn and see her sleeping next to me was the best feeling and I love to cuddle with her:)

littles

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:55 pm
Initially I was really against co-sleeping (as in the baby in your bed) and I bought something called a co-sleeper that attached to my bed, but is like a small crib. Well, when we brought home our son seven weeks ago he would not sleep in it. I very reluctantly took him in my bed and he slept great! Now I love it too, but I recognize that different things work for different people. And I am not worried about him having trouble transferring to his own bed when I feel the time is right. I know feel that right after leaving the womb it seems logical that a newborn still sleeps best with their mommy.

nicole81

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 1:23 pm
we co-nap every shabbos but she sleeps in her own crib every evening except for the rare occasion that she's sick and having a rough night.

raizy

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 9:37 pm
when my baby who is almost 2 is sick I will let him sleep in my room in his own crib or playpen but not in my bed.

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:04 pm
I always said I would never bring my baby in bed but then I started falling asleep nursing! I never start off the night like that but when the baby wakes up for a middle of the night feeding, then I bring them to my bed to feed and they spend the night there unless I am awake long enough to transfer them back. they always have a crib that is their main place.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 6:00 pm
Finally! People (thanks Mindy) who are on the same page as me! I came upon a thread in the "Natural Parenting" section titled, "Until when should u co-sleep"? I, of course said don't start & boy did I get bashed!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 8:49 pm
You know girls I used to think like u too. But after our tradgedy I appreciate every form of life and nothing more special then a baby cuddling once in awhile up to you when you sleep.

My children till quite abit older have always come into our room when they have had a bad dream or want the security of mummy and tatty. Though as they get older they resort to bringing in their blankets etc and sleeping on our carpeted floor as opposed to our beds. However as they get older they have to knock b/c yes we do lock our doors .
Trust me they won't be sleeping with you for very long so I say enjoy it now. Oh it helps to have a nice size bed

My opinion only just wanted to share.... Tefilla
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics