Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babies and passports
1  2  Next

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:19 pm
so here's a weird question...
my husband and I are contemplating going to israel for pesach. my baby is 3 weeks old and doesn't have his social security number or birth certificate yet. as such, there is no way we are going to be able to get him a passport by the beginning of april. that process in itself takes forever, and we probably won't have his SS# and BC till at least the beginning of april, which is when pesach is.
so can he not fly? is there an exception for kids so young? anyone know the policies?
thanks!!

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:30 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
so here's a weird question...
my husband and I are contemplating going to israel for pesach. my baby is 3 weeks old and doesn't have his social security number or birth certificate yet. as such, there is no way we are going to be able to get him a passport by the beginning of april. that process in itself takes forever, and we probably won't have his SS# and BC till at least the beginning of april, which is when pesach is.
so can he not fly? is there an exception for kids so young? anyone know the policies?
thanks!!

there are no exceptions (as fas as I know. I dont work for the state dept though)
it says you live in queens. this one is in boro park: http://e-zpassport.com/Contact......aspx

here is another
http://www.fastportpassport.co.....a.php

I think this one is in manhattan
http://e-zpassport.com/

aside from, perhaps DC, I dontthink there is anywhere you can get a passport so fast at so many places, other than right here in NYC (although I know you can get one in <24 hrs pretty much anywhere, if it is an emergency and you pay and are willign to go thru the headaches and legwork)

3 wks is a long time, in the world of passports. if you were saying you were leaving for Isr on Sunday, then, id say you would have alot to deal with in the next 24 hrs. But 3 wks is alot of x to work with!

good luck

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:34 pm
but I dont have his ss# or birth certificate yet!!
im assuming thats a big problem??

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:42 pm
thanks for the links I called one of the places it seems I could get him a passport if I have a letter of proof from the hospital, but I need proof of travel, and we didnt buy the tickets yet. and we're not going to until march 30th (long story).
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mc'cutie

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:55 pm
You might be able to use the paper that they give you when you leave the hospital, the one that has his footprint and your fingerprint. I know that in some cases they accept that as proof.

As far as a ticket, maybe you can contact the travel agent you are planning to purchase tickets from, and they can give you a letter or something that will say when you are planning to travel. I am not sure that would work, just thinking.

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 6:06 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
thanks for the links I called one of the places it seems I could get him a passport if I have a letter of proof from the hospital, but I need proof of travel, and we didnt buy the tickets yet. and we're not going to until march 30th (long story).
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

718-377-1956 is thenumber for the EZ passport place in BP. Talk to the guy, he is SO nice, he will be able to help you straighten things out.
in terms of proof without a birth cert or SS card. the ss card usually comes at like 6 wks. but the birth certificate comes right away (even in NY where things take FORever!). If you dont have either of those yet, he might be able to work with the footprint thingy from the hospital, or perhaps a letter from your OB or a letter from the NY DOH? It might require some legwork on your part, but I dont think it would be impossible.

In terms of the needing a ticket to prove it-uh yea. maybe in the US Postal Office. But that is why you probably shouldnt deal with them (I try to avoid them at all costs. Never use them to ship anything. But thats another story entirely). an itinerary is just fine. What you can do, if you have a travel agent you work with, is have them reserve an arbitrary ticket around the date you plan on going (most airlines let you hold a ticket for up to 24 hours with a credit card number but with absolutely no penalty/fee if you cancel), have him/her forward that to the guy on 50th street, and he will print that out as proof. That is probably the easiest way around it. They dont need a paper ticket (who even has paper tickets anymore???) just proof that you will be traveling, so that the government will feel that it is worth them getting off their tushes 2 weeks earlier for you for the 30 seconds it takes to sign and stamp your form. if not, they can stay seated at their computers surfing who knows what for those 30 seconds....

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 6:15 pm
thanks for all that info SS! I laughed at the surfing govt workers, so true!
I hate to ask, but lay it on me- how much does all this special treatment cost?

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 6:24 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
thanks for all that info SS! I laughed at the surfing govt workers, so true!
I hate to ask, but lay it on me- how much does all this special treatment cost?

I think anywhere from 100 to 300 dollars, depending on how soon you need it (300 is like- My flight to israel leaves tomorrow at 3PM and My passport got....burnt in the oven and its gone gone gone I need a new one fast Im getting married there the next day)
100 is like 10 day service
it involves some "legwork" on your part (the 100 at least) meaning you AND your husband (you need both parents I think, so they know one isnt trying to kidnap the baby), need to take YOUR BABY WITH the paperwork the guy in BP gives you to a post office (he will tell you the closest ones), and have them sign something, and then bring it back to them (he CANT do this for you because he isnt your babys parent and so they would htink HE is kidnapping the baby!). Just pray to God that you get an asian person at the post office, they are the most patient, friendly and easiest by far to deal with! so nice. (and I wont say anything mroe)

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:06 pm
Our travel agent booked us tickets for 2 weeks from now, printed the confirmation then cancelled the ticket. Then we went to the passport center (only 5 in the whole US) and paid an expedited fee to have the passports done in one day. We did need a birth certificate, social, and letter from the pediatrician that the baby lives with us.

I say go down to hospital’s registrar and see if they can expedite a birth certificate. From there, you will get it in 2 weeks (also the social).

NEXT time name your baby in the hospital. Call it moshe, call it, Miriam… you can always change later!

Oh, and mazel tov!

golddigger

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:46 pm
www.deluxepassportexpress.com

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:32 pm
shaklee we did name him in the hospital!! the ss# and BC take 6-8 weeks to be mailed to you.
ss thanks for the info and the chuckle. it seems these thing really can be done overnight for the right price. unbelievable! 300 isnt even so bad I thought you were gonna say 1000 lol.
oh and shaklee thanks for the travel agent tip... you ladies are just the BEST! what do people do without imamother???

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:42 pm
Lady Jane go back to the hospital and find out why you didn't get it. Actually, google the website of the hospital and ask to speak to the birth certificate registrar's office. Ask for the Application ID, find out why it didn't come. You shouldn't be waiting for it. Ours came both within 2 weeks, a day apart!

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:45 pm
really? r u in ny? the form I filled out clearly stated to allow 6-8 weeks

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:49 pm
The registrar lady told me 2 weeks. Sure enough it was 2 weeks. UNLESS your registrar files the papers only once a month, which explains the 6 weeks.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:50 pm
got mine as well when baby was abt 2-3 wks old, and dh applied for ss# which also arrived within 1-2 wks.

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:51 pm
the form from nyc said 6-8 weeks, not the hospital

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:51 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
really? r u in ny? the form I filled out clearly stated to allow 6-8 weeks
Im also in NY. its never taken 6-8 weeks. I think the longest we waited was 19 days. I name my kids in the hospital though (english names that arent the english "translation" of the names we will really give them, just arbitrary names that we thought were cute or whatever, for the birth certificate)

debsters1101

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:58 pm
sheesh!! I named him in the hospital, named my daughter in the hospital too, got her birth cert in about 6 weeks. maybe im wrong, maybe im going to get it any day now. but im pretty sure it took 6 wks with my dd

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:05 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
but I dont have his ss# or birth certificate yet!!
im assuming thats a big problem??

It is. I went through something similar with my daughter.
The Jewish Council in Boro Park strongly suggests that you have a name ready for your baby before it's born, and that you should write down the baby's name on the hospital form in the recovery room. That way, the baby automatically gets a social security number, and the social security card comes in the mail together with the baby's birth certificate.
They have so many cases in which parents go through needless amounts of hardships because they do not have a ssn for their child right away.
We asked a Shaila, and the Rav said that as long as nobody calls the baby by the name until the bris or kiddush, it's totally acceptable.
After going through so much red tape with our daughter's identification, I will be"H follow their advice for the next baby!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:08 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Our travel agent booked us tickets for 2 weeks from now, printed the confirmation then cancelled the ticket. Then we went to the passport center (only 5 in the whole US) and paid an expedited fee to have the passports done in one day. We did need a birth certificate, social, and letter from the pediatrician that the baby lives with us.

I say go down to hospital’s registrar and see if they can expedite a birth certificate. From there, you will get it in 2 weeks (also the social).

NEXT time name your baby in the hospital. Call it moshe, call it, Miriam… you can always change later!

Oh, and mazel tov!

Oops, I didn't realize Shaklee had already given you the naming advice, and that you had responded.
But changing the name involves going to court... it's a long process, so it's always better to try to have the final name for the baby ready.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics