Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach guests - not frum family to come/visit

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 10:11 pm
B/c our oldest is in E"Y for probably 2 years, he's only home for Pesach, and both my family and DH's family wants to visit!

My family coming for dinner and then the evening is no big deal...but staying here is! His brother wants to come for Pesach....we have a small apt, DH and I work full time, and I certainly don't want to entertain for a week straight!

Besides that, he's not religious - he's not going to get up, go to the mikvah, learn, and daven in shul - he's going to sleep late, expect to be served breakfast, and lay around the house, expecting to be entertained on his visit.

I hate to be negative, but it's yomtov for me too - I go to shul and have to prepare the seudahs and an extra person is really hard for me, as a helpless, sleep-over guest.

If I invite his brother only for the Sedarim, with the intention that he leave after the first days, is that bad? It's not like he's going home to eat chometz on my cheshbon, is it?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 10:15 pm
SaraG wrote:
Besides that, he's not religious - he's not going to get up, go to the mikvah, learn, and daven in shul - he's going to sleep late,

This isn't such a problem, in my estimation...

SaraG wrote:
expect to be served breakfast, and lay around the house, expecting to be entertained on his visit.

This is!

SaraG wrote:
It's not like he's going home to eat chometz on my cheshbon, is it?

By that logic, you would need to invite the whole world, which I don't believe is how we pasken l'ma'aseh. :-)

There's nothing wrong with telling someone you don't have room in a small apartment over the holidays.

Besides, if your husband isn't around, there could be yichud issues.

lucky

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:36 am
It's his brother. Does he want to do the entertaining???

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:05 pm
Lechatchila DH wants to entertain his brother, but lemayseah, I get stuck with it.

estherf

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 1:07 pm
I would not invite a relative or anybody for Pesach knowing that I can not trust him my kitchen and I will not be home all the time. He can come for a day or two though. Let's say for seider you have your parents and for last two days - him. And if he wants to sleep - let him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics