Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Hagolas keilim

amother

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:17 am
I've never done this before so I wanted to double check what hagolas keilim for Pesach does. There's a community one being done right before Pesach. If you put your chametz pots in, you can then use them on Pesach?
Also, the little info I got about the community hagolas keilim said if you need to take something to the mikva, do hagola first and then take it to the mikva. If something is new, why do you need hagola? Wouldn't mikva be enough?

fiddle

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:37 am
I never heard that you need to do it things that are new but regarding hagala for other things that were chometz I think its a bit strict regarding your financial circumstance. I wanted to take a pot I have for chometz and make it for pesach and someone told me that I can only do it if I didnt have the means to purchase another. im not sure. but ask your LOR

louche

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:57 am
When you kasher a pot for Pesach, it is now neutral and you can use for Pesach for any denomination. BUT not all pots can be kashered by hag'alah. The halachos are complex. It's not just a matter of dumping the pot in a vat of boling water. It has to be throughly cleaned--so if it can't be cleaned, it can't be kashered. It has to be made of a material that can be kashered--so if it's lined with Teflon, it can't be kashered at all. It has to have been used to cook water-containing foods, so if it was used to fry or bake, it requires libun, not hag'alah.

I can't imagine why they would say to do hag'alah first then toivel, unless it was a used pot that you acquired from a nonJew, but maybe someone else here has an idea.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 11:13 am
when I first heard of this I was shocked and baffled ... but sonny boy helps every year by yeshiva ... so I guess it's done ... things like silver bechorim, etc. - personally I would rather use disposeable than kasher something chometz ... everything has to be thoroughly cleaned and able to be put in a hot hot vat of water fully immersed ...

I imagine the details are written in some halocha sefer ... Study

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:23 am
Is anyone in Flatbush doing this now? I remember them having by Landau's a couple of years ago but didn't see this year

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 1:55 am
I saw a place on New Utrecht and 52nd Dtreet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions