Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you help me help my BIL?

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:08 pm
Here is part of a speech he has to give. I'm helping him edit and prepare it. He heard the ideas here in some lectures, he thinks from R. Framd. I think it would sound good if we could source it better. Do any one of you smart and knowledgeable ladies know where this idea (below) comes from? TIA!

The last few parshios dealt with the building of the mishkan, both the materials and the contributions that went into it. Moshe Rabbeinu was able to excite the people about giving, as the Torah says, "kol ish hasher yid’venu libo." "Every man whose heart inspired him came and spirit motivated him.” Whatever was needed, there were volunteers eager to get the job done. Somehow, people found it within their nature to do what they were called upon to do. Everyone worked together to contribute what they could do best. Because of their efforts, H"’s presence could reside among and within the people.

The first set of luchos were ma’aseh Elokim, created by H"’s hand alone. B’nai Yisrael sinned in the chet ha’egel, and the second set of luchos were different. Instead of being all from H", they were a combination of H"’s word, and human transcription.

Why the difference? I believe it is because it is so important for people to give. We feel better about ourselves when we do, and the work transforms us. The mishkan, like the second set of luchos, was a product of ma’aseh yedeichem, requiring human participation.

Later, the two batei mikdash were a combination of maasei Elokim, and sanctity through human effort. The first one, which had the Shechina, prophecy, and urim vetumim, had all the qualities of maasi Elokim joining the human work. The second, devoid of neviah and urim vetumim was built with the passion and faith of the Jewish people. Its sanctity came from human effort and such fervent prayer that that the Shechina rested upon it to some degree, even without prophecy or the Urim and Tumim.

Each of the Battei Mikdash had a unique downfall related to a sin affecting the source of its holiness. In the first Bais Hamikdash, the sancitity stemmed from the Shechina. Therefore, it could not last in the presence of idolatry, just as the avodah zarah of the cheit haegel destroyed the plans to construct a mishkan which would house the luchos that were carved by H".

The destruction of the second Beis Hamikdash was precipitated by the disunity of sinas chinam -- baseless hatred. The Bais Hamikdash that owed its existence and sanctity to the Jewish people could only exist when the Jewish people were united. When we couldn’t work together, the source of holiness of the Bais Hamikdash was gone. Our ability to create kedushas hamikdash is conditional on our acting as a united people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics