Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Looking to become more FRuM or ChaSSIDic???
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 6:28 pm
I am writing as amother for valid reasons.
I would like to know if there are people out there who are coming from the more modern world, if they are interested in becoming more and more Chassidich or Litvish or rather more frum?

And are there Chassidich or Litvish or Very Frum people out there who are looking to become more modern?

goldrose

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 6:31 pm
of course!

red sea

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 6:43 pm
Of course!

chanala

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 6:46 pm
yup.

Are you asking, FRuM rather than ChaSSIDic or vice versa?
Or FRuM and/or ChaSSIDic?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 7:13 pm
Quote:

let me requote.

Do you want to become more chassidic/frum?

Or would you like to be more lenient/ more modern?

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:25 pm
I'm happy the way I am.

RedVines

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:33 pm
Arent we ALWAYS supposed to look for ways to grow...an everyday thing?

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:37 pm
her question was becoming more frum or chassidish, or becoming more modern.
Regarding being frum. I'm where my mom was, her mom etc.... I'm where I want to be.
Yes, I strive to better myself in everyday mitzvos, meisim tovim, chesed , Shmiras Halashon, being a better person in general etc.. etc...
But that differs from Frum.

chanala

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 12:52 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

let me requote.

Do you want to become more chassidic/frum?

I honestly don't know the difference between the two, or if they're considered interchangeable, but I don't really want/need to assign myself a label, beyond 'following HaShem's laws, and continuing to learn about them.'

chen

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 8:27 am
well said.
chassidish is a subset of frum. chassidish and frum are most definitely NOT interchangeable! ask any yekke, litvak, oberlander (my new word for the week--did I get it right?), sefaradi...

you can be a yekke or litvak or sefaradi by birth and still be a freier yid... but if you're a chossid who freis out, I guess you're an ex-chossid Confused

what do you call a yekke by birth who becomes a chassidisher BT (besides "disinherited" Wink )?

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 9:11 am
Quote:
but if you're a chossid who freis out, I guess you're an ex-chossid

always.

Chani

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:23 am
And you can be modern but very frum and not lenient!

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:36 am
Chani, ive never seen that. I think the word "modern" is used differently by different people.
I'm not talking about Modern Othodox here. no matter which group I look at, I see people who want to be more modern. They dont wear sheitlach except on occasion if at all. they dont mind secular influences in their homes, and many put their own views before halacha or dont think certain things warrants a shailah from a Rav.
I dont understand the "modern" youre talking about. we're not talking about not using telephones and electricity.

red sea

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:46 am
I know the type that chani is talking about, they don't nes. dress all frummed out, they'll still wear denim, they are okay with extra cirricular stuff in life like bowling, but they are very careful in observing the mitzvos, but husband wearing colored shirts, taking kids to a yankees game really may appear modern to some but does not in truth tell where your at in observance level, some people are like that but are totally knowledgable and careful with hilchos shabbos, kashrus, loshon hora, and even the spirit of the law, they would not allow kids to watch a disney video for example. But I can't say that I know many people like this.

chen

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 12:09 pm
red sea wrote:
I I can't say that I know many people like this.

I know MANY people like this. Must depend on where you live.

Blossom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 8:17 pm
Quote:
I know the type that chani is talking about, they don't nes. dress all frummed out, they'll still wear denim, they are okay with extra cirricular stuff in life like bowling, but they are very careful in observing the mitzvos, but husband wearing colored shirts, taking kids to a yankees game really may appear modern to some but does not in truth tell where your at in observance level, some people are like that but are totally knowledgable and careful with hilchos shabbos, kashrus, loshon hora, and even the spirit of the law, they would not allow kids to watch a disney video for example. But I can't say that I know many people like this.

I know many people who wear denim or go bowling or husbands wear colored shirts. That's not called modern In my opinion.

gryp

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 8:27 pm
red sea- according to that, probably most people I know are modern. Confused
bowling is modern?? where do these standards come from????

red sea

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 9:13 pm
I don't know guys I guess I live in a really frum neighborhood What

red sea

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 9:23 pm
then again are we talking modern young israel, modern yeshivish, modern chassidic Rolling Eyes LOL

merpk

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 2:33 pm
We're one of those "people like this."

And BTW, not only does my husband wear "colored shirts" (I can't believe I'm really typing that as if it's something that needs explaining) but he wears very colorful kippas, too. Oh my goodness gracious me. Must one of "those" people.

(Sssshhh, don't tell anyone, but I have purple tikhels and wear them regularly. And purple clothes. Some bright greens and oranges in there ... predating the hitnatkut, so no politics involved ... and even some tie-dye. Colorful clothes are fun. But don't tell anyone, because someone else might try to wear them and then it'll mess everyone's labeling standards up, you know?)

And no, we don't go bowling. Because we don't like to. But we do listen to GASP Matisyahu ... and even let our kids hear it when we listen. They dance to it, too. Try it sometime. It's fun. Smile

And we are frum. And we're always striving to get closer to HaShem, to go higher in Torah and mitzvos. But I don't know that I'd call that "wanting to be more frum." I think I'd call that "wanting to get closer to HaShem and to go higher in Torah and mitzvos."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics