Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What Pesach staples do you save from one year to the next?
1  2  Next

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:48 pm
(if any). I'm curious what people do, and why.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:55 pm
I don't think I save any food items.

ShiningThrough

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:02 pm
I put away from 1 year to the next: toothpicks, kosher for Pesach hand cream, dish soap, can't think of what else. But food staples, I learned from experience when I was a new balabusta that saving teas, oil, unopened potato starch, etc. (actual foodstuff) was not lucrative because things like that can get rancid, stale and webby.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:22 pm
I found KLP tomato sauce from last year when I cleaned out the pantry; does that count? Its dated use by 2010, so I'm OK with it.

I usually use spices (salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, ginger, cinnamon) for 2 Pesachs, so those get packed away. My Pesach coffee maker uses a different kind of filter than my regular one, so the filters are packed away as well. That's all I can think of.

But I'll bite. What's KLP hand cream?

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:32 pm
We saved KLP napkins and paper towels from last year!

elf123

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:38 pm
Most canned goods last indefinitely. I found cans of tuna, hearts of palm, spices, canned tomatoes, bagels (okay, just making sure you're paying attention! Very Happy ), paper goods, foil pans, tablecloth covers, and several other things in my Pesach closet. I'm glad I put them away last year!

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:53 pm
Aluminum foil, Comet, silver polish, toothpaste, that awful Adwe lipstick that I keep telling my mother to throw out because who wants to look like a clown in orange lipstick, spices, mouthwash, cocoa, teabags that my mother kept for 20 years. Stale they may have been but b"h not webby.

Also, my mother found 5 bars of chocolate, beautifully wrapped in plastic, when she was unpacking the Pesach stuff this year. We can't figure who packed them away and why.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 5:34 pm
toothpaste but I prob shouldn't, I'm sure it has a shelf life. nothing else, why bother storing it ?

I use the same salt, cocoa, and sugar all during the year so it's not a savings. And we don't buy/use potato starch or anythingt else.

Barbara, your pepper will taste much better if you replace it.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 5:37 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
toothpaste but I prob shouldn't, I'm sure it has a shelf life. nothing else, why bother storing it ?

I use the same salt, cocoa, and sugar all during the year so it's not a savings. And we don't buy/use potato starch or anythingt else.

Barbara, your pepper will taste much better if you replace it.

LOL. This year was a replacement year, and I'm not making a seder. Go figure.

While fresher spices taste better, a year is within the realm of reason for me. That gives me 2 years without replacing.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 5:56 pm
If you replace your spices every few mos, you will be amazed at the taste change !

Pineapple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 5:57 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
If you replace your spices every few mos, you will be amazed at the taste change !

So you think I should dump the spices that have been in my cabinet for 3-4 years LOL

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 6:05 pm
The rov said to avoid bugs, to buy the smallest size available and use it up within a few mos.

cookielady

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 6:42 pm
I store any extra paper goods, paper towels, napkins, foil pans, etc. Even though I could use them during the year, it's nic e to have somethings packed away, I feel like I am saving money.

middos

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 7:56 pm
oil. canned goods, spices(in freezer double wrapped), candy, closed jelly, of course this is if I have any left.

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 10:37 pm
Anything in a sealed package. Some of it gets used during the year, but some gets discovered when I prep my shopping list.

Blair

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 11:13 pm
Why not just use it all up who wants to store paper towels and napkins. Food should just be used and fresh bought the following year.

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 2:55 am
Potato starch, foil, paper towels, toothpaste from the year of the flood, silver polish, cocoa, salt. That's pretty much all we use. Oil if I have an unopened container.

I buy a small KLP vinegar to wash my wood floors. Then I use it during the year.

hadasa

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:03 am
Well, I just checked last year's Pesach list and it says Not to buy this year any oil or dish soap. So I guess there's plenty left. Other years I've saved salt, sugar, tea, coffee. (we don't use tea or coffee, but we serve them in disposable cups to guests.)

Blair

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:04 am
I have never heard of washing wood floors with vinegar.

cookielady

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 9:41 am
Blair wrote:
I have never heard of washing wood floors with vinegar.

It's great on tile, but it stinks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen