Post  Wed, Apr 01 2009, 8:36 pm
To download the free Internet filter click here: K9 Web Protection

Imamother recommends it.

Imaonwheels

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2009, 12:09 am
But at the present time it does npt work on 64 bit Vista

frimamom

Post  Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:01 pm
I downloaded it, but when I try to open it I get an error. What can be the problem??

grin

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 1:19 pm
frimamom wrote:
I downloaded it, but when I try to open it I get an error. What can be the problem??
you have to be logged in as a user with administrator privileges to install it.

sarahd

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 1:48 pm
One very big chisaron with K9 that I did not realize till my dh pointed it out to me is that it's very easy for someone to get your password. If you click on "forgot password", a temporary password will be sent to your email and if your email is not password protected (which mine isn't) then whoever is interested in overriding K9 will now have the password. I don't know why they don't make it a little more difficult to get at the password.

grin

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 1:57 pm
sarahd wrote:
One very big chisaron with K9 that I did not realize till my dh pointed it out to me is that it's very easy for someone to get your password. If you click on "forgot password", a temporary password will be sent to your email and if your email is not password protected (which mine isn't) then whoever is interested in overriding K9 will now have the password. I don't know why they don't make it a little more difficult to get at the password.
your email is not password protected?! I would fix that ASAP - that's a problem in its own right, nothing to do with K9.

you want to filter your computer yet anyone on it can read your e-mails?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 1:58 pm
No security question necessary?

BTW, it's available for ipods and ipads now.

sarahd

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:11 pm
grin wrote:
sarahd wrote:
your email is not password protected?! I would fix that ASAP - that's a problem in its own right, nothing to do with K9.

My emails are not personal or private. I want to filter my computer so that neither my kids nor myself can access inappropriate websites. I am not worried about my kids reading the divrei Torah or news briefs which are what most of my email messages are.

sarahd

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:12 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No security question necessary?

BTW, it's available for ipods and ipads now.

No, no security question. Isn't that strange?

grin

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:34 pm
sarahd wrote:
grin wrote:
sarahd wrote:

My emails are not personal or private. I want to filter my computer so that neither my kids nor myself can access inappropriate websites. I am not worried about my kids reading the divrei Torah or news briefs which are what most of my email messages are.
I hear you - sorry for having been rude.

Yael

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:45 pm
why not setup another email address to use only for K9, so that the password will get emailed there instead of to your easily available email?

grin

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:56 pm
Yael wrote:
why not setup another email address to use only for K9, so that the password will get emailed there instead of to your easily available email?
leave it to Yael to think of an easy solution!

PinkFridge

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:00 pm
sarahd wrote:
grin wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Good on you!
I assume you don't get email Imamother notifications? Because then they can go on that through your email.

sarahd

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:18 pm
Yael wrote:

I thought of that a long time ago and actually set up the new address already. I was under the impression that I don't know how to change the email address, but I just went into K9 again and did it. Thanks.

(I wasn't in a huge rush to do this, because my kids can't read yet anyhow and my computer as a whole is password protected. A babysitter or some other random person wouldn't be able to access it anyhow.)

sarahd

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
sarahd wrote:
grin wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Good on you!
I assume you don't get email Imamother notifications? Because then they can go on that through your email.

Only if I happen to be logged into Imamother at the time.

overthehill

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 3:27 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what does this filter protect/block?

For example could I still go bathing suit shopping on websites ?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post  Wed, Feb 02 2011, 8:57 pm
It's up to you what categories to allow or disallow.
Even if you disallow a category, you can enter your password for temporary access to a specific site.
If you always want a certain site allowed or disallowed, you can whitelist/blacklist it.

Let's say you don't want social sites -- like facebook -- allowed, but you want imamother and it's categorized as such (I can't check as there is no Linux version)...you can whitelist imamother to allow that but no other social sites. Or news -- only allow theyeshivaworld.com or whatever you'd like.

grin

Post  Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:46 pm
yes, what HY said is totally true - it's entirely up to you. They also have a feature to allow or disallow internet access specific times of day - for instance, I have it shut off any access at all from 11 PM. (I'ts a good bed-time reminder for me, too!)

One drawback that I've found is that at times some sites come out looking funny. I imagine you could contact them about it if it comes a problem.

Yael

Post  Thu, Feb 03 2011, 1:05 pm
the reason sites come out looking funny is because the links that load certain parts of the page are classified as bad and are blocked.
To find out what category you need to allow to let those links come through:

delete your internet activity records
load the webpage again
refresh the K9 internet activity page
and you will see which categories all the links on that page are classified as, and can see what, if any, categories are blocked.
you can also in this way add the specific urls of the blocked links to your whitelist to allow them to load without allowing the whole category.

Imashela

Post  Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:43 am
My oldest is 15, middle daughter 11 and youngest is 9 (got married late), and live in Israel and need info on internet blocking - before my 9 year old boy gets older. I have minimal blocking right now, which turns my internet off at night, and explicit [filth], gambling and violence.

I wanted a bit more, so I tried the bluecoat. Unfortunately doesn't block some of the sites I need blocking for in Hebrew, and the internet rimon charges extra for being turned off at night.

Any advice?
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h