Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Did you have any last minute crises this year?
1  2  3  Next

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 3:46 pm
I thought it might be fun to share the trauma/adventure, and b'ezrat H", the happy endings. Did your appliances break, did your guests all cancel, did your loaded seder plate fall onto the floor?

Mine was a 4:00 call to the pediatrician -- "I'm sure my DD has strep, and we need to start our holiday in 3 hours, can you squeeze us in?" "Let me see what we can do.... Here's an opening at 6:45 for you."

"Sorry, that won't work. How about it I just come in and wait, and see if someone will take pity on us?" "That will be fine."

An hour and a half later, we were home, amoxycillin in hand for 2 kids, and, b"H, everything went fine from there.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 3:49 pm
you want crisis ?!?!?! shock

I lost my first seder What

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 3:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
you want crisis ?!?!?! shock

I lost my first seder What

THAT sounds like quite a story! Tell on!

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 3:58 pm
I had my second seder as my first Idea just drank twice the amount Drunken Smile Cheers

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 4:03 pm
Well, B"H no crisis - last year, I bought two new blechs to use, shorted out my kitchen. Had to get our non Jewish neighbors to come into our house, move the blechs to other rooms, bend down under everything to plug them in, turn on the electricity in the dark, etc. This year, we didn't use them. Anyone need 2 Pesachdik, plug-in blechs ?

dora

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 5:57 pm
Not a real crises, but added stress. Came home from work at 2, in the driveway waiting 2 girls who sometimes eat by me (no contact with their families) had no place to go, plans fell through. Guess where they stayed and are staying the entire y"t? B"H I have a houseful with the marrieds taking turns, the singles and now 2 more. We have a policy for such cases, we say the word FooTbaLl=FTL=Family Takes Last, thats how we make sure that there is enough food for the guests.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 6:28 pm
It's our first year making pesach, so we bought a convection oven/microwave. It came on Friday, and we opened it on Monday, when the kitchen was kashered, and found the entire front door shattered! We had to find a branch of the store relatively near us that had one in stock, DH had never been to that area before, had to circle for about 40 minutes till he found a car park from where he could see the store, but it was the wrong car park, then shlep this heavy thing up a flight of stairs, through a multi story car park...eventually he found a trolley to use. BH we were at my parents, so didn't need it desperately to cook.
(used it last night, and it steamed up, still moist inside - not sure it's supposed to do that...and the plug in 2-hob burner that we also bought already has a broken dial, and one of the pots has rust marks...not doing too well)

myfriends715

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 6:52 pm
our crisis was massive.. so as many of you know we were supposed to go to Chicago for pesach we sold our house and didnt clean a thing... we got to the airport on time checked in and started heading towards security the security noticed that only 1 ticket said infant on lap instead of 2 (we were travelling w the twins) they sent us back.. and basically they closed the gate in our face so there we were @ 12 pm on erev yom tov w/o a place.. next flight they could give us was 6pm it was insane!!!!!!!! anyway so we had no where to go I was freaking out.. at this point it was 2:30 and we needed to make other arrangments.. we called our rav to ask abt our gouse.. called some friends and decided where we would go for the 1st days.. we went to a friend of mines parents whos house is completely not babyproof and we spent all 1st days yelling @ the kids no we dont do that etc.. then we were all sleeping in the living room so no one slept and ds cried the entire night (he actually has no voice now) plus the fam we were by are dealing w a very hard time so it was pretty tense.. I felt soo drained we left last night and came to our chometz filled home (our rav told us exactly what we needed to do) we closed off our kitchen, washed floors etc.. but since we dont have anything to cook w we're eating canned gefilte fish etc.. its really gross.. we are going to a different friend 2nd days and hopefully it will be more relaxing but I am officially emotionally and physically drained

hows that for crisis?

anonymom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 7:31 pm
That is a terrible story. Who were you going to in Chicago? Who messed up your tickets? Do you plan to write to the airline and let them know how they "inconvenienced" you?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 7:35 pm
My poor facebook/atime/imamother friend who might identify herself eventually, missed her flight to her pesach destination on erev pesach by mere seconds. they closed the door in her face. she crashed with her dh and 2 toddlers in some acquaintances' house for the first 3 days, and is now in her not-pesach-cleaned house where she keeps finding chometz and flushing it down the toilet. talk about last minute crisis.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 7:35 pm
LOLOL I missed her post by a few minutes sorrrry.

MidwestMommy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 7:37 pm
Oh no! Myfriends, that sounds awful! I'm sooo sorry that happened to you. Airlines can be so obnoxiously inconvenient. Rolling Eyes We've had several bad stories involving airlines...

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:21 pm
Yikes! What a nasty airline.

The only time we were going away for all of Pesach, I called our rav to ask what we should do about our house. He told me to clean as if we would be staying, just in case of a situation like this. He said it happened more often than we might think.

I tried not to grumble too hard ab out having to clean and pack, but after hearing your nightmare, I think I'm glad I asked him.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:23 pm
oy, vey. they may as well stay home lechatchila, then.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My poor facebook/atime/imamother friend who might identify herself eventually, missed her flight to her pesach destination on erev pesach by mere seconds. they closed the door in her face. she crashed with her dh and 2 toddlers in some acquaintances' house for the first 3 days, and is now in her not-pesach-cleaned house where she keeps finding chometz and flushing it down the toilet. talk about last minute crisis.

aren't there dinim about traveling ?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:37 pm
chocolate I was referring to myfriends Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:40 pm
you should sue the airline that is totally ludicrous ...

mommalah

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:45 pm
I cut a finger pretty deeply early Wednesday morning erev pesach. DH convinced me to go to the ER b/c he was certain I would need a stitch or two. I was in the process of turning over the kitchen....I went, saw a nurse, asked how many people were ahead of me, she said 15, I asked for some good band-aids and left. It is B'h completely healed now. Oh, and the previous Sunday I bumped into someone's parked car and a few days before broke our hot water heater by accidentally dropping Pesach pots on it. It was quite a stressful erev Pesach...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:47 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
chocolate I was referring to myfriends Smile

RIGHT ... SO WAS I

MidwestMommy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 8:47 pm
Our dryer broke 4 days before Pesach... probably from all the loads I was trying to run in anticipation of not doing any laundry! Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics