Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach Menu for a First Timmer

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 10:44 am
BS"D
This is the first year we are making pesach by ourselves. Someone started a thread on items needed for pesach and I was wondering if anyone had good menu ideas and recipes. Even though we live in E"Y we are having two sedarim for the boys at the yeshivah next door.

chen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:23 am
check www.aish.com. Chef Herschel has scads of recipes and menus. Don't get too ambitious. a simple meal over which you preside, calm and happy, is better than a Cordon Bleu feast with you a frazzled wreck.

I'd suggest making your meals as similar to a regular shabbos or yomtov as possible, with at most 1 or 2 special-for-pesach dishes. this will make preparation much easier for you than if you try all new recipes from start to finish. as time goes on you can add more innovative dishes, but go slow at the beginning.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 1:16 pm
BS"D
Thanks for the link. There is usually something new at most of my meals. B"H I'm not the frazzled type. My husband was in catering for 6 years and we work very well in the kitchen together, but I have no idea what to make for pesach.

red sea

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 1:36 pm
"cholent"- potatoes, carrots, meat

regular chicken

reuse chicken from chicken soup, double as chicken salad

cube chicken toss with salad

handmade potato kugel can't get any better than that

israeli salad, a million other combo's of salad

mashed potatoes

slice/ chunked potatoes

fish

egg salad, tuna salad, we usually try to make a mini-meal at the usual dinner time for kids ( & me) so we don't stuff our faces with nosh all day.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 2:55 pm
Get youself one of the Pesach planners. It's really helpful!

Does you commuinity offer any workshops for first-timers? You may find it invaluable!

Have a great Yomtov!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:23 pm
RivkaBatya wrote:
BS"D
This is the first year we are making pesach by ourselves. Someone started a thread on items needed for pesach and I was wondering if anyone had good menu ideas and recipes. Even though we live in E"Y we are having two sedarim for the boys at the yeshivah next door.

Do you follow Lubavitch minhagim? Do you keep g'brocks?

If not, it's very easy to come up with menus.

If you follow all the Lubavitch minhagim, buy the Spice and Spirit cookbook for Pesach.

Side dishes that I usually make:
Potato Kugel/Layered sweet potato and potato kugel
Zuchinni Kugel
Ratatoulli
Zuchini Latkes
Potato Latkes
Baked Crispy potatoes w/ onions
Egg noodles in soup or with chicken
Potato blintzes (using the egg noodles uncut for the wrappings)
Chicken soup

Anybody have some other side dishes (using only peel-able vegetables)?

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:32 pm
We are not lubavitch, we eat g'brocks. We do not however, eat food we did not make.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:36 pm
So you can basically eat normal shabbos fare.

Brocolli Kugel
Matzah Stuffing, Matzah Kugel
Shepherds pie
Mousakah
Hamburgers
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Stuffed Cabbage

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:57 pm
How about some ideas with no Matza meal? I have the spice and spirit but I would like EASY Quick ideas, anyone?

LoveMy2Kids

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 4:39 pm
My parents do not eat gebrokts, as a default neither do we. I am so used to making a non-gebrokts Pesach that even though my in-laws eat gebrokts we don't. My husband does not seem to mind. Aside from the basic chicken and meats etc. there are plenty of sides. I make apple kugel, sweet potato kugels, broccoli kugel, zucchini kugel, carrot kugel, vegetable patties, even pareve kishka. I've made meat and potato rolls. Chol hamoed I make "quiches" (no pie crust), soups, and salads etc.... We'll also eat the leftovers from the chag. For those who do not eat gebrokts a nice cookbook came out last year by Tamar Ansh.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 4:42 pm
By the way a good tip for those who do not eat gebrokts is grated potatoes. I use it in place of matzah meal in some recipes. Using potato starch often makes things tough. I do this in all sorts of veggies including stuffed cabbage, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics